Off Course - Zumo XT

rjsmith26

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am using my new Zumo XT.

This is driving me nuts! Test ride after test ride and still cannot work this out. Nothing in the manual about it.

On one journey I managed to get the "Off Course" function to work, (brilliant - dotted purple line and distance showning how far off the main route I was). Since then I cannot get it to work. Pretty sure when it did work it was on a route I had imported from MRA - cannot remember which version of GPX it was, I sent this via phone with download from MRA, open into Garmin Drive and then send to device.

I have Off Route Calc turned off (I have tried it with it set to prompt and no difference - I think I have recalc turned on when it worked?).

I have tried creating routes on the Zumo XT and using these and intentionally going off the route - no off course distance showing or dotted purple line, also tried trips, routes planned in XT and imported into XT from MRA GPX1.1 and GPX 1.2 and still nothing.

I have looked in the manual and there is no mention of "off course" option or how it works. Any guidance you can give would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_3887.JPG
    IMG_3887.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 18
Hi There, you only get a dotted line when you deviate from a track not a route. The XT can follow a track. ie it will display the track on the screen and will give an ETA, but it will issue no instructions regarding turns at junctions. It will however inform you how far you are from the track if you deviate, and indicate the general direction to the closest point on the track with a straight dotted line, if you deviate from it. So if you have been using the unit for routes rather than tracks then you won't get a dotted line. If you display a route and track at the same time and don't recalculate you will get a dotted line showing the direction and distance from the route/track.

This is a fantastic resource to help learning the unit and routing/tracks

As is this

Also for using basecamp easymoto tim on youtube has a number of easy to follow vids on using basecamp with the XT. Garmin navs are great but not without their foibles. That said I still prefer my XT or any other of my Garmin navs to a phone. Good luck, been using garmin Navs since 2004 and I still get tossed the odd curve ball (usually of my own making) :D

Hi There, you only get a dotted line when you deviate from a track not a route. The XT can follow a track. ie it will display the track on the screen and will give an ETA, but it will issue no instructions regarding turns at junctions. It will however inform you how far you are from the track if you deviate, and indicate the general direction to the closest point on the track with a straight dotted line, if you deviate from it. So if you have been using the unit for routes rather than tracks then you won't get a dotted line. If you display a route and track at the same time and don't recalculate you will get a dotted line showing the direction and distance from the route/track.

This is a fantastic resource to help learning the unit and routing/tracks

As is this

Also for using basecamp easymoto tim on youtube has a number of easy to follow vids on using basecamp with the XT. Garmin navs are great but not without their foibles. That said I still prefer my XT or any other of my Garmin navs to a phone. Good luck, been using garmin Navs since 2004 and I still get tossed the odd curve ball (usually of my own making) :D
Brilliant, many thanks, I am guessing the reason why it worked one time and then not again. The time it did work, I planned the route in MRA and as part of the gpx export it throws out a track and a route.

Where as my more recent tests - I have been building just a route in the device its self.

I will concentrate my training on understanding how to activate following a track (must have been by accident so far I think!).

One question - the videos you helpfully have linked are all about base camp. Have used in the past and hated BC. My intention is to use MRA both website and app - is it still relevant to watch the videos you have suggested or is it likely they will just confuse me due to them being BC orientated? Thanks again

If you have no intention to use BaseCamp, it’s a waste of time watching videos on BaseCamp or indeed, anything to do with it.

Have a look at the guide in the first link. Pages 47-50 and 57 on if you are using garmin explore

Thanks Richard - the first link supplied is superb - digesting ......

Yes, I now use MyRoute a lot, in preference to BaseCamp, not least because it’s easy to use it on my iPad and to send GPX files directly to my XT.

When you use 1.2, it will send a the track and the route to your XT. The route will appear in the device’s routes (trips) folder, the track in the device’s tracks folder. You do not need to ‘activate‘ both. To run the route, just fire up ‘trips’. To run the track (though I am not sure why you’d want to) go into the tracks folder and run it.

I think you need to read your XT’s owner’s manual and maybe watch a few XT videos :beerjug:

Last edited:
Yes, I now use MyRoute a lot, in preference to BaseCamp, not least because it’s easy to use it on my iPad and to send GPX files directly to my XT.

When you use 1.2, it will send a the track and the route to your XT. The route will appear in the device’s routes (trips) folder, the track in the device’s tracks folder. You do not need to ‘activate‘ both. To run the route, just fire up ‘trips’. To run the track (though I am not sure why you’d want to) go into the tracks folder and run it.

I think you need to read your XT’s owner’s manual and maybe watch a few XT videos :beerjug:
Many thanks, will do as suggested. I guess we each like to use Navs differently the tracks option for me I must admit I think I am likely to use a lot as like to plan an A to B but then have the flexibility to intentionally or unintenionally drift off the planned journey without the nav doing recalcs and talking to me - have used a Beeline uinit for a couple of years and found it quite liberating.

Having been through the above recomended links (skipped the base camp focused parts) the XT does look great - I fell out of love with garmins around the 660 with strange recalculations and wierd routing, the capability to have Via and shaping points looks much more sensible.

Re the manual - will take a look but to be honest I have found it pretty poor. From looking so far the "off course" button, what it works with (I now know tracks) is not even covered from what I can see in the manual.

To add to this I contacted Garmin via chat yesterday to ask the same question regarding off course / dotted line back to highlighted journey, and if they could point me to more details. Garmin asked for a video of the function, which I gladly supplied. My chat got escalated up the support chain and no one could explain anything about the off course function, my chat has been refered to development!

So unless I am being an idiot or blind then even Garmin are struggling with their own product. Its why knowledge and real world input from people such as yourself and others on here and other forums is so valuable. Thanks again.

With the help of the zumo forums, I uploaded a profile which allows me to run a track and route, then if I deviate, I can see the track and how to get back onto it if I want and also see the route if the XT is taking me off it.

You can also just show the track on screen without running it.

Track app>select track>select spanner, scroll down>show track on map.

Very useful for checking if you have deviated from a route.

Bear in mind the XT will re-route, even if you have rerouting turned off, if you add in an extra stop - such as diverting for petrol.

You can restart the route by stopping the route, restarting then choosing closest entry point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I am likely to use a lot as like to plan an A to B but then have the flexibility to intentionally or unintenionally drift off the planned journey without the nav doing recalcs and talking to me….

If you very simply turn off the auto-recalculation, the device will not recalculate.

Except in the circumstances as above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom