Just a bit of a moan - and great to see the bikers coming back!

tbh Corrosion on op's bike is irrelevant with that milage when trading it in. but I bet it would be cheaper running a car.

I'm sure it would be on a pence per mile basis...but if running the car meant an hour a day extra commute...what price that lost time ?

You'd think they'd do some sort of guarantee after spouting this shite on a website.

NanoTech Coatings & Sealants - Long Lasting Protection from Water, Chemicals & Environmental Forces
NanoTech Coatings - Waterproofing coatings for any surface - wood, metal, marine, glass, stone, anti-graffiti, electronic circuit boards and more! Utilizing nanotechnology, NanoTech Coatings creates a seamless bond that is impenetrable by liquids and will protect the surface from dirt, corrosion and decay.

Snake oil...as someone has said above. Or in Yorkshire....loada bollox

I bang on about this a lot but, the majority of the corrosion I have seen on WC's comes from poor surface prep and paint application. The corrosion starts, under the paint layer. The corrosion then bubbles then breaks the paint layer.
No amount of 'surface' based protection is gonna stop this happening.

Apart form that the 'nano' coatings are flipping snake oil, you learnt the hard way.

Andres

It’s both poor surface preparation AND lack of applied surface based protection and cleaning - my evidence comes from all round year use of 4 1200 GSes and over 100,000 miles. On those 4 bikes I have had only minor amounts of surface preparation corrosion issues and the odds are against me just being lucky.

It is vital that you use ACF50 and/or FS365 or similar to protect you bike and wash and dry it if you frequently expose it to road salt -those that don’t look after their bikes in this way are asking for trouble.

BMW do need to improve their corrosion protection but it is far from the whole story as my evidence shows.

Hats off to you oxfordshirerider, commuting 150 miles a day year round, you are entitled to have a moan!
As for the bike, lather the living daylights out of the bike with waxoil before the salt goes down and bollocks to all that washing it lark.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

It’s both poor surface preparation AND lack of applied surface based protection and cleaning - my evidence comes from all round year use of 4 1200 GSes and over 100,000 miles. On those 4 bikes I have had only minor amounts of surface preparation corrosion issues and the odds are against me just being lucky.

It is vital that you use ACF50 and/or FS365 or similar to protect you bike and wash and dry it if you frequently expose it to road salt -those that don’t look after their bikes in this way are asking for trouble.

BMW do need to improve their corrosion protection but it is far from the whole story as my evidence shows.

I refer sir to the OP.

Andres

Should have bought a KTM! :D

This guy might disagree with you :)

9Tc4NCFWGb7SsGJt9LfgWFa-wOY4i8YNrCVDLizUkzTORzqvHIFvCbCIZ3vPmj881LvwHRpHlQA8LD0uA-0rEv-VAumy0t4coWnQS2hPUBkLl6-zWUtut1jK-pg5diTbqLJZ7IrrHYfFBwH8RjfGW4qyBgsT5Zr0Xg_IGPcJU1JcM2qcaTuK4b3sCnyRhbQnW8L7soSb7p76f4-ywL4VUD3aalg7COmxEHi6XKb0GGfnAEOpWmSTW3Iw63GZ_ZC9ZO6EpD-lFuM3A6LcoCcgbX1_n2Wwzmuyu_QmOrWYcn5Cvt4i3iEnA4l47eLREMyv6vwupVdjd-wruYBveVLTRRl6d6Y0xdyqNDey3BpgeeJhKHlkhbwPMM_ScDzSNl2rRPheZ_OZxbok98Dst6q_4xSLVdKUcXRhjIyJZKX8gIKdewHTz8CctVaLommJ0MWSW3ZwKt1Zr9Lq8TbPS7KaPdeedZ1swQQiVKYmRfPX8XBeNGf8V4UyD0yHdcs_FHYscnjVbg_9AWgrLDjppv2cb1LhJtzyNnXZ6xf56W0OygdA94Zc_R-X36vAqFH4hzgCcwUaXZqVZ33Ilt88km5s4xOYafiaxI2GbW8VuOmg44el2-Bf40KedXFjGCsBTgXqWg=w994-h1462-no

a-jxG8MXT8k3berM5BPY1oJbuPYyQ7spPCpepW-f5QZ5UFnIlqVp7anAE4kq2iMENDpH8dKbwzw1hLuQLwzZwjYH1Hpxxi0u0kBqIeXmY5nHakPzbc0ym_LfL2-HDZSzvWy2mLZYwqOV_BEhwIB9imW8ToGWwnW-iogxuKvDDJvlPIywUoqf0svoiOHKlYSNR-zSdYZ9vbDi91zJDzFdgdATSPdPQz2C8JV9joBQhXsBGuq0w2PMG_X270-sTAHsIkUuwK2Q4ua1xOAffywCu_PlHxeW-Ee_Q0SH3Gupat_7wbf3l0KMqFsU4zh2wlYZZTuijVTgtqF3T_PDery6dBm3WXjgRdVTqLLtqz2sOUQP7pgBJSrwtRS5bWlLkBw2hivI-SIQgWU0lcJSvWEPHo_0YAm5v47ZKHlv8_-7vq5Jo1dhiQP4Ssan8knYA_Y9lxyzZIUmBzPkq_80HLNzLW5zlMC09BGxrUoTMc9oGkudcouIByWl2YxYB-3AHoZ3p5sdlkVPpxfX0KnXpN6fPZYak0c2qbg8HqsFX_8Z8OE6s12lErQRfwTxSTH_ZB2PJ80bDYnIj_Aj3_83ob3YIdQ5hr36JsAp85VLYW9Uxb5OwAkczTALmJjDbtLb1bPq4A=w914-h292-no

FXe-VvAD8kRUJ9PEHrs33cV28ieloWRmGc_l4b8H-C1rTFpBzP5XSO8O1h7JfuaAp2Uyt9zqgkr8v_sEQR5ChoONHhrGwO38mU3nRxJg47spxh3eeb-FXCUatgFWyzCoe8kHf9KET_NuzCnn06L5UCPm_zk1Y_pJVNgaHFvALPrRtXO3Hy1dHREkLIP1sIVVfB0AEu3DXUbCRPZ7Ll6iHLCpWhQDoIbxnAt4rUXB-pOX66NXogv_0zp21NAT2FDl0rMiKB9xWUwhKdbkjSosVos_rJSUmWDcknRPkIVye5pMS_HhYw6YS_KYc5lIosuNH48FY9vcRwpoG2rwkPP0ft-OZBnZUf5jepAsq59wIoMc3rPdXpeeozfurM3iItmzs_SXaH4T0Ld6ASgG2Yd4Tf-pNDUpUJwVjgUyyY7uDGr12aIeU3AddEzEIuJagqCqqIinztMT4t2h-5Gtwg59NHvdC4f5fVIa8dkyhSJVA0nyZduEic8MWoCE9bBEMguah0n8CB0YA-j4CuUFetHP80C7rhUd0nhmMKjgyw7kVFl2XpkXjnq0KMqoopYNdJ3Zz_vOQVTcRhE4q0oqWOjxR9sPz-dRwbBUv3zO9GGk=w826-h248-no

I don't think the new crop of advanced bikes like the GS WC, KTMs etc are built for all year bikers, most folk don't ride like that anymore. Should a rider be expected to wash and dry their bike daily? weekly ? should they bollox. The underside of a new car doesn't get washed yet seems to manage OK for years.
I get what engineer says about how he is meticulous etc...but ask a cross section of folk what should be done to a dirty £15k motorbike and I doubt any of them would say wash it, then dry it with a glorified hairdryer on a weekly basis

This guy might disagree with you :)

Not really the same though is it? The OP has been regularly cleaning his bike, but the bloke in your link has ridden all winter and not bothered to wash his bike at all. ;)

Find a modern bike that can be ridden all through the winter, and never washed, that won’t corrode. You won’t.

I don't think the new crop of advanced bikes like the GS WC, KTMs etc are built for all year bikers, most folk don't ride like that anymore. Should a rider be expected to wash and dry their bike daily? weekly ? should they bollox. The underside of a new car doesn't get washed yet seems to manage OK for years.
I get what engineer says about how he is meticulous etc...but ask a cross section of folk what should be done to a dirty £15k motorbike and I doubt any of them would say wash it, then dry it with a glorified hairdryer on a weekly basis

I agree, I’ve done shy of 10k miles since last March right until end of December last year. Leaving home before sunrise and coming back home after dark in all weathers, not to forget manual labour I was doing for 8 hours a day, there is no chance I was able to wash my bike every evening in freezing cold and dark. Despite that, bike still got washed every weekend, and I only use SDOC100 and GT85 lubricant spray. Despite that, bike still has corrosion mainly at the back end.

An £17k bike should not have problems with corrosion. Most cars now day come with over 5 year corrosion warranty as a minimum and some manufacturers offer even longer term.

Mike bike, having spent £320 on a “snake oil” nano coat still got corroded. In my mind if it wasn’t done at all, what would it look like now......

Just hoping that dealer will be willing to sort it out. Chopping my bike in for another is not an option, unless the deal is silly good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really the same though is it? The OP has been regularly cleaning his bike, but the bloke in your link has ridden all winter and not bothered to wash his bike at all. ;)

Find a modern bike that can be ridden all through the winter, and never washed, that won’t corrode. You won’t.

Very true and I do wonder about these bikes that corrode and the owners claims to wash them regularly.

150 miles a day in all weathers? I'd be getting myself a winter hack rather than do that on a 20k GS.

Used to do 80 miles a day all year round on a 1999 Honda VTR and barely washed it, it was fine. I use FS365 on my GS these days but it's an 05 hexhead and no minter, so no worries.

Your GS sounds like triggers broom with all that BMW has replaced on it so far.

The underside of a new car doesn't get washed yet seems to manage OK for years.

Indeed

I had chance to have a good look at my 80k, 6 year old Honda CRV the other day when it was on a ramp.
I was amazed how little corrosion there was, to the underside and suspension etc

It's all very confusing.
Visit Allyearbiker and get it ACF 50'd. BUT..after each ride thru winter you need to rinse it off and 'top up' anywhere where the ACF 50 has been washed off. Trouble is, you can't be sure where it has washed off so do it all again ? After each ride, every day ?
Nah, I must confess that for a 150 mile a day rtn commute, I'd be on a 2000/2001 VFR 800, it'd look crap all covered in ACF and road crap but once a year it'd get a day spent cleaning and look half decent.

I ride all year round too, excepting snow - I lather the bike in FS365 and hand wipe very vulnerable areas with ACF50, and thoroughly wash the bike every week during winter - after washing I dry every nook and cranny with one of those power dyers and then re-apply the anti-corrosion coatings.

In 2018 why should it be necessary to go through the same rigramole each week. None of my cars in the past 20 years or so have required that much effort to keep corrosion at bay.

Us bike riders get shat on because there isn't enough of us buying new bikes to make the manufacturers sit up and take notice.

150 miles a day in all weathers? I'd be getting myself a winter hack rather than do that on a 20k GS.

Used to do 80 miles a day all year round on a 1999 Honda VTR and barely washed it, it was fine. I use FS365 on my GS these days but it's an 05 hexhead and no minter, so no worries.

Your GS sounds like triggers broom with all that BMW has replaced on it so far.

Who would want to do 150 miles a day in all weathers on some "winter hack". Surely the GS would make the ride more comfortable and probably safer!

Who would want to do 150 miles a day in all weathers on some "winter hack". Surely the GS would make the ride more comfortable and probably safer!

I'd look at it more like someone owning a £100k Sports car but choosing to use his £20k everyday car for his 'everyday' stuff...like commuting.
Yeah, the OP should be able to use his GSA year round without fear of it dissolving but lets face it...30k plus miles a year is a tad more than the average. I'd rather run a very decent, reliable 15 yr old 'hack' that is disposable after 2 years, £2k and 60k miles than lose £10k plus running a GSA

Back
Top Bottom