KTM 890 SMT

I’ve done about 500 miles on the bike since I’ve been in Brittany (only used it on 3 days as we went to Spain by car in the middle of the trip ).
Had a proper blast this morning as left wife at home whilst I road up my favourite road (D767) to a cafe in Guingamp for a coffee then back down the same way before cutting cross country via some stunningly fast and empty back roads.

The bike ain’t perfect but it’s bloody fantastic.
The quickshifter seems to have bedded in (or maybe it’s just me used to it )but I had no missed gears today.It seems slicker too.
The bike is certainly fast enough ! I’ve been trying to be sensible but did exceed the running in red line of 6500 rpm (ish) a few times.The bike flies.
Seems much quicker than my old ADV 790R.
I’ve got the suspension set to Sport and the handling is bloody amazing.
The suspension is firm but compliant with not too much dive under braking.
The bike has far more ability than me but you really can lob it around a corner and fire it out again.
The riding position is nice and roomy for me at 6’1" with a 33" inseam.
The seat is VERY comfortable.
Definitely needs a screen though (currently on back order ) as it’s noisy at speed.
The fuelling seems to have improved a bit.
It’s still not brilliant below 3000 rpm, especially compared to other bikes but it seems better now than when I first got it.Again it might be me getting used to it.

It’s certainly fine two up for days out-we did a couple of 150 miles days last week. Don’t think I’d tour two up.
But solo-absolutely.
I’ve already fitted the large KTM rear rack over the OE rack and this will easily take a roll bag.

It’s a bonkers bike that gets better the more you thrash it.The fuel economy refuses to drop below 64 mpg and that was 100 miles of caning it today.

Expect to see 70 mpg with ease and a good 200 miles + range to empty, as mentioned in previous post.

I’d say if you’re taller than say 5’10" then this is a better bike than a Duke 890 or similar from the opposition.

It’s got the riding position and room of an adventure bike but with the handling/suspension/ sticky rubber on 17” wheels of a midsize sport naked such as a Duke 890 or Street Triple R.

Go try one .It’s a belter.

c4722de6cb2982483dc83ce775eca160.jpg

cdeed80bc011fae6f4369473b782af94.jpg

Luvvin’ mine! 😄

Needs fender extenda, hugger, gps mount in due course,
I see mine trekking out to the Alps, AND having the freedom to turn down small tracks etc for a mooch about. I test rode one at ABR festival 2023 and the seed was sown! IMG_0565.jpeg

Mine is in for first service today and I was leant a 2019 1290S

32e7e764301c926a7938ebc0e1634267.jpg

Not owned an S but I’ve had 2 1290Rs .
What amazed me , jumping off the 890 and on to the 1290 was how lardy the 1290 felt.
Weird riding position and it felt like you sat on it rather slightly in it .

The 890 is definitely much more chuckable and easier to manoeuvre!!

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

I tried one.
Found it incredibly similar to my existing 990 SMT. Which is praise indeed because that bike is a bit of a weapon if you want it to be, but is all day long comfortable.
In fact, it was so similar in everything apart from being slightly more throttle responsive, and of course a tad less low down grunt (can't beat a decent V-twin) that I didn't order one. It hasn't got (for me) £10k+ worth of 'wowness' over my existing SMT, so I'm considering either a 1290 SAS or Multistrada V4S.
It is however, a very very good bike, and if I was coming from something else, I probably would have bought one.

It hasn't got (for me) £10k+ worth of 'wowness' over my existing SMT, so I'm considering either a 1290 SAS or Multistrada V4S.
It is however, a very very good bike, and if I was coming from something else, I probably would have bought one.

Funnily enough, about two three years ago I had a demo day ride on a 1290, but came to the conclusion it was very nice, but not (then) £5k nicer than the 1090 I already had. I dont think the 890SMT will tick ALL the boxes my 1090 did, but it ticks a few boxes the 1090 didnt, most obviously the ability to U-turn on a small road, and go for an exploratory bimble up an enticing track. Yeah I could've bought the 890ADV, but I like corners and roundabouts at a pace brisker than 21" tyres would deem prudent ;) I'll lose some Autobahn size and top-end performance, but I think I'll be gaining much more fun, we'll see :cool:

You need a v85 tt in your life :)

00bec3b31bc66c7893aeff8213882450.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touring version :)

Rod is a Super Motard man at heart so he’ll be loving the KTM I’m sure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rod is a Super Motard man at heart so he’ll be loving the KTM I’m sure :)

I miss the 15mph of top end the 1090 had, and it's physical prescence when filtering etc, but then again, its the reciprocals of those very attributes that make the SMT so fun! :) The short screen is not proving a problem, however Premier tell me the Powerparts ADV screen I ordered is now in stock.
Street Mode is fine, but if you want fuss free low-down grunt, Sports Mode is the one ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4866.jpeg
    IMG_4866.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4865.jpeg
    IMG_4865.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4864.jpeg
    IMG_4864.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4863.jpeg
    IMG_4863.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 56
Got mine today.
Nice.

I'm collecting mine tomorrow, its the shorter screen without the cut-out slot.

I'll miss that little set of 'slats' in the standard screen, just above the headlight. they add some magic smt'ness imho :)

I'm contemplating masking off the top portion, and painting the main body black, as if it was the standard mask with an added on screen. Dont want to over think it tho, as the screen may be awful in actual use! :ROFLMAO:

Nice.

I'm collecting mine tomorrow, its the shorter screen without the cut-out slot.

I'll miss that little set of 'slats' in the standard screen, just above the headlight. they add some magic smt'ness imho :)

I'm contemplating masking off the top portion, and painting the main body black, as if it was the standard mask with an added on screen. Dont want to over think it tho, as the screen may be awful in actual use! :ROFLMAO:

I’d not paint it, but you could mask and plastidip it, then if you don’t like it, you can carefully peel the plastidip away and go back to the full clear screen.

Plastidip is pretty good, and flexible, comes in rattle cans too. I did my twin cam GSA panniers in plastidip, that provided hours of fun for Neilo and Kieran……… bast’s

TBH it will hit the mark with people not wanting a really tall bike that they cannot reach the floor with, nor a really small bike they have to contort themselves onto, nor a bike that costs the same as a half decent family car.

I personally would still be tempted to put my own cash into a late, low mileage and unmolested original - if such a thing actually existed.
Seat hight 860 mm, that's tall in my opinion. So us short arses miss out again :mad:

I’d not paint it, but you could mask and plastidip it, then if you don’t like it, you can carefully peel the plastidip away and go back to the full clear screen.

Plastidip is pretty good, and flexible, comes in rattle cans too. I did my twin cam GSA panniers in plastidip, that provided hours of fun for Neilo and Kieran……… bast’s
on the other hand, I do still have a large tin of ORANGE gloss, left over from Garage door at previous house :LOL:

Had a go on one on Friday, first thoughts were it would make a great second bike for weekend messing about, but would not want to do the big tours on one, even with a screen.

It reminded me of my Mrs TDM in some ways (just a lot more modern and refined) with a really good mid-range packed engine, terrible fuelling when trying to hold a steady 30mph (probably worse than TDM) and fairly compact but quite cmfy riding position, but for me the leg bend was too much for long days riding.

Power seemed adequate, did a good few miles without going over 7k and was making good progress, with a couple of thousand RPM left in reserve, it s certainly nippy enough and noticeably fun to thrash compared to the 1290. Obviously handles better than the 1290 and like most modern mid-sized bikes the handling is way beyond the average (or even considerably above average) rider, but anyone hopping off a 1290 will notice how easy it turns, changes direction and I am sure with a load more time in the saddle I would be really loving it, and it would be fantastic on an Alpine road.

If it was out a few years back when me and the Mrs where doing the big tours (Child stopped play) then I would of bought it for the Mrs to use on Holiday and me too hoon around on at the weekends.

Nice as it is I don't have time to ride the two bikes I already have, and this would not be the do-it-all bike I need like the 1290 is, and riding the 1290 home it still puts a huge grin on my face, handles well (well enough) and that low-mid range grunt has me hooked, I could not give that up.

A 1290 version would probably still be my ideal bike, remove the offroad pretensions of the 1290S, take off 20mm of suspension travel, fit a 17" wheel, remove the electrical suspension and fit quality conventional units and try and shave a few kg off and I would be lining up.

But when my legs stop bending enough to throw over the 1290 saddle, and my bladder gives out before my legs cramp this would fit the bill nicely.

Back
Top Bottom