London - Paris Challange

You've £30 in the kitty to start it :hug

tre tre bien mon ami!!.......and thats about the extent of my francais (even tho' my sister lives in Grenoble).

I will set up an account for the ride once I know when/if/how/wherefrom/who and all the ins and outs...but that is tre fabulous me dear!:beer:

Moo:type

oh and Bert (and I SOOO want to call in Ernie..I hope you get that!) can I nick the cow for my whateveryoucallit under my username? How do I do that?

There are ways of dealing with the issue that I think meet all the requirements yet don't stop people donating because they don't like the idea of paying part of their donation to what they might perceive as being a 'jolly'......

Most of the TITS team raised their personal money for expenses, the flights home, equipment (that was nearly all left with the scoot's new owners in Gambia) accommodation and fuel from direct family and close friends, with them knowing what that part of their support was for, or from selling things and making it clear that the item was being sold for their own funds for the trip and not for the charity itself. (Though like Bert, I know that many if not all were well into 4 figures lighter from their own pockets as well)

That then left any donations and sponsorship from people here, dealers, shops, congregations, customers, clients and so on to go 100% to the charity .

BTW, not one person I've talked to who has ever been involved in a major project has regretted it......we came back changed people from our trips, and most if not all want to go again. (it's being talked about now, for 2008)

Bert's spot on about the transparency......but I'm afraid Trippy is also correct about the perception of subsidising an event as opposed to giving a donation to a charity.

PS glad you two kissed and made up ;) :beerjug:

There are ways of dealing with the issue that I think meet all the requirements yet don't stop people donating because they don't like the idea of paying part of their donation to what they might perceive as being a 'jolly'......

Most of the TITS team raised their personal money for expenses, the flights home, equipment (that was nearly all left with the scoot's new owners in Gambia) accommodation and fuel from direct family and close friends, with them knowing what that part of their support was for, or from selling things and making it clear that the item was being sold for their own funds for the trip and not for the charity itself. (Though like Bert, I know that many if not all were well into 4 figures lighter from their own pockets as well)

That then left any donations and sponsorship from people here, dealers, shops, congregations, customers, clients and so on to go 100% to the charity .

BTW, not one person I've talked to who has ever been involved in a major project has regretted it......we came back changed people from our trips, and most if not all want to go again. (it's being talked about now, for 2008)

Bert's spot on about the transparency......but I'm afraid Trippy is also correct about the perception of subsidising an event as opposed to giving a donation to a charity.

PS glad you two kissed and made up ;) :beerjug:

Hey...thats why forums exist! If people didn't have differing opinions the world (and thus the forums) would be rather boring....AND if you don't like hearing differing answers......you shouldn't ask the question....but anyway...
I like what you said Fanum.....lets see how things pan out. Dermot and I were several hundred squids lighter when we did the PWAB - both the dry-run and the actual event...and, to be honest, we couldn't afford to do it again (let alone the fact that we aren't on mainland Britain any more) (and let alone at the time!).
We did it because we had made a committment without really checking out the little issue of cost...daft as that may sound. I would LOVE to do it again....that sort of thing....but there are alot who won't due to cost. Your idea is really a good one......
The whole experience..as I have said before...has changed me beyond recognition......from the old Moo to the new Moo and a trip to Paris (an idea mooted by someone else here) sounds like a new challenge that others might like to try too.
We'll see..but in the meantime...the discussions will roll on...
thanks for your input!
Moo

OH MY GOD THATS FANTASTIC FANUM!!! THANKYOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I am just sitting here with the BIGGEST GRIN!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

oh by the way (for those of you who are reading this and don't have a bloody CLUE what I am grinning about) LOOK AT MY NEW AVATAR!!!

what have you done Bert?
and cuddles to Bill!!

Here's an idea i've been pondering for some time.

You charge a fee for joining the run. Something like £50. For this the payee gets a full pack to include maps, kits to organise their own sponsorship, a commemoration t-shirt, and a contribution to the organisational expenses and the balance then gets donated to the charity of your choice.

This way you get to donate more to your chosen charity and each participant is able to fund-raise for their own cause.

The tough part about all of these charity runs is that they do end up costing alot of time and money - but that's part of the commitment you make when taking on a effort like this.

I chose not to get in to this level of organisation as I wanted to keep things relatively simple. Your timescales are longer and therefore I think this level of organisation would be easily achievable, and would be happy to throw in my assistance if it can be used.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help.

Dan

Moo, just a posting as I know BCC are actually thinking of doing the London to Paris run themselves in 2008 under their own banner so to speak.

Thought you'd best know before you plan too far ahead. :thumb2

Moo, just a posting as I know BCC are actually thinking of doing the London to Paris run themselves in 2008 under their own banner so to speak.

Thought you'd best know before you plan too far ahead. :thumb2

BCC? Not sure who these people are?
Let me know!
Moo

does this proclude us doing it together?

Moo, just a posting as I know BCC are actually thinking of doing the London to Paris run themselves in 2008 under their own banner so to speak. Thought you'd best know before you plan too far ahead. :thumb2

As far as I know, all planned events by BCC run some 18 months ahead, so 2008 is out unless you plan an event like this yourselves and they give you their endorsement.

You should be aware that 2009 is a key date for the charity.

In 2009, Breast Cancer Care (hence use of BCC) celebrates 35 years and the idea of a Paris to London Girl biker ride event is being considered. The idea of forming the largest girl biker gathering (in teams) to ride and raise funds plus raise awareness with a celeb girl bike team, as well. But it does need organising and planning. PWAB was a challenge, but this would be something else. The charity would welcome help to organise it.

OH MY GOD THATS FANTASTIC FANUM!!! THANKYOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I am just sitting here with the BIGGEST GRIN!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

oh by the way (for those of you who are reading this and don't have a bloody CLUE what I am grinning about) LOOK AT MY NEW AVATAR!!!

what have you done Bert?
and cuddles to Bill!!

I didn't think it would take you long before you chose to use that animation;)
Glad that it has made you smile :D therein lies the fuel which drives our actions- Go for it girl!:thumb
and may you be able to Moooooooooooooooove heaven and earth and achieve what it is you have set your heart on.
Caution....:angel at work :thumb2

Oh Ok...BCC is Breast Cancer Care...sorry I was being DIM!!

I don't want to do anything that will tread on peoples toes! I don't want to clash with BCC (as you call it) or with anyone else...it was just an idea! It was an idea to see if others would like to get involved..not necessarily women only with support riders (as the PWAB was) but everyone who wants to get involved.
I am looking to see if anyone would like to. If they don't...thats fine! If UKGSer club site as a whole do not..that is fine! I am not doing this as a personal goal but to see if anyone liked the idea. The whole idea of doing a PWA was muted but not really taken up.....
just thoughts down on paper really....

Moo

I didn't think it would take you long before you chose to use that animation;)
Glad that it has made you smile :D therein lies the fuel which drives our actions- Go for it girl!:thumb
and may you be able to Moooooooooooooooove heaven and earth and achieve what it is you have set your heart on.
Caution....:angel at work :thumb2

Bonjour mon ami! Yes -- it was Fanum who showed me how!! What a hero eh?
I will see how this whole thing goes! I was trying to get people motivated...we shall see what happens.
Riders and other "african" causes are something I would like to do more for....at the moment I am doing a "personal goal" thing of walking the West Highland Way next Easter (for Oxfam)......I was hoping others might like to do the trip to Paris as a way to raise more dosh....

its a toughy all this.......
I guess "watch and wait and listen and see" is the mode of the day....

Moo:hug

Amy might I suggest

mmmm isn't it all fun! like the avatar!!!!! ;)

Forgive me if I'm being dense here but where's the challenge in a run from London to Paris, 270 miles, (unless it's on foot, or pogo-stick or such like)

Sits back and waits to enlightened

I enjoyed my small part in PWAB (must have been the cold :D)
and look forward to partaking in something else.

Forgive me if I'm being dense here but where's the challenge in a run from London to Paris, 270 miles, (unless it's on foot, or pogo-stick or such like)

Sits back and waits to enlightened

I enjoyed my small part in PWAB (must have been the cold :D)
and look forward to partaking in something else.

FOr me the "challenge" is the commitment to do something for others in a way that allows the majority of people to do it! Why is there this need to absolutley break your bank and/or back inorder to help others. I don't want to break my back; I want to have an accessible challenge for people who would like to raise money! I did my 1400 miles TWICE last year for PWAB...a REAL challenge for a person who up until 2 weeks before the trial run had never been on a motorway let alone above 30 miles an hour (other than a short stint for an hour two years before).

If its not "big enough" for you...try something else!

I think a challenge can be anything,anywhere,anyhow!!!
Does it really matter how big or how small ? (ok less tittering at the back there)
Does it really matter how many miles or how many people ?
What may not seem a big challenge to some ( or a challenge at all,come to that) may be a big deal to me and /or others.
To head out for a days hike and reach the top of a hill is a challenge to me ...ok to some people it won't count 'cos it ain't a Munro....but it mattered to me! And then I aim for higher,further,harder...

I can't commit myself to this particular run,and I don't commit myself to many others either. Part of that is to do with personal cost...... I do charity work already for a small Scottish charity and I help out wherever possible,always at my own expense. To some extent I think that if you feel strongly enough about helping a cause and you put yourself forward to take part in an event, then you take on board the majority of the cost without thinking about it.
I do think though that when it comes to larger charities it is a different ball-game .....and personally I prefer helping small voluntary funded groups where I know the money is used directly and solely to help the cause.

Just Icequeen's thought for the day.......anyway I think Sillymoo's bigger challenge would be the trip from I.O.M to Dover !! French roads are probably marvellous in comparison to ours!!

p.s this is not to say I would not be interested to see what develops .....I guess it all comes down to charity being exactly that....how does any charity help others without the support from any of us in the first place........

I think a challenge can be anything,anywhere,anyhow!!!
Does it really matter how big or how small ? (ok less tittering at the back there)
Does it really matter how many miles or how many people ?
What may not seem a big challenge to some ( or a challenge at all,come to that) may be a big deal to me and /or others.
To head out for a days hike and reach the top of a hill is a challenge to me ...ok to some people it won't count 'cos it ain't a Munro....but it mattered to me! And then I aim for higher,further,harder...

You're right, but the bigger, more impressive and more 'wow' the challenge is, the more it's likely to raise, quite obviously.

If something doesn't come across as a 'big deal' to others, then unfortunately it doesn't matter how much of a challenge it is to you, it won't attract the support (unless you push the personal challenge aspect) and to step up to the next level, getting local or national press coverage, it does need to be a 'big deal'

It's cynical maybe, but to raise money successfully, that's how you need to be.

Sorry if this sounds negative, its not meant to be.....it comes from a bit of experience :)

I started this thread with the hope that it might stimulate some active responses to get a team of people together with a common cause and hope and try for something that would raise some dosh for a good cause.

Personally.....I feel abit worn and weary by the HUGE discussion about whether the whole idea of London - Paris is even worth doing...whether people wish to bankrupt themselves "for the cause" (which I cannot and will not do...sorry I have a family with a HUGE amount of issues piling in on us already having no where NEAR settled into our new home).

Its a shame that the whole idea seems to have been trounced upon by a few (I do NOT include the voices of "keep me informed" but there have only been three) and that the 380 odd views has generated a real lack of feeling about the actual idea.

I think I will bow out and do it another way.....and if someone else does it..they wil have my full monetary backup; a bit opf help practically if I can and a "good luck mate...sounds like a great thing to do".

Wow.......I never knew.......what a shame........a little sad....but on my own and with some time and less negativity.....things will be fine I am sure....as it has been with my other cause.

By the way...if BCC do it....and I hope they do....then I hope people will take that challange and run with it.......

feeling abit down:(
Moo

Back
Top Bottom