Monaco question

markymark

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having read somewhere that certain roads in Monaco are closed to motorcycles :mad: does anyone know if this is true & which roads, streets it is ? I was planning on doing a loop of the F1 circuit when we're down there but it's looking like we'll have to walk around it instead. ;)

Some roads might be closed to motorcycles and / or other vehicles during certain times. It’s a growing trend, largely driven by anti-social behaviour, including noise.

You can drive / ride around the street circuit but parts run against the city’s one way system.

I've been once, on a Monday afternoon, I didn't like it at all. We were travelling back from Mugello and had a hotel booked in France. One of the lads asked if we could call in to see the circuit as we were relatively close on our route. The place was rammed, traffic at walking pace at best, congestion everywhere. I won't go back again.

I was planning on doing a loop of the F1 circuit when we're down there but it's looking like we'll have to walk around it instead

You can ride most of it normally.
Pretty underwhelming to be honest. Also, traffic is generally fairly bad most times for obvious reasons. You can do most of the lower part of the circuit and then take a walk around.

Riding the smaller roads around Monaco (rally routes, etc.) is way nicer to be honest.

One interesting side-quest in Monaco is car spotting in the underground car parks :D

Monaco city (indeed the principality itself) is not very large and, as with anywhere bordered by water on one side, can get crowded either by visitors or residents.

That though is life.

It is though interesting (up to a point) to see the iconic circuit….. and then put in the bikermates’ compulsory moan that the ice creams are a feckin’ rip-off.

Went there several years ago,
Took longer too get in than the time I stayed there..
Not worth a ticklist place too visit..

Cheers for the replies guys, kind of suspected it to be really busy :mad:
We'll wait and see when we get close by if it's worth the hassle of going in or not.

If I remember right getting into Monaco we had to go through several expensive tolls. My mate moaned even though it was his idea to visit in the first place. Not my idea of fun watching the rich flaunt its wealth

can't remember my route ( where I started from that day ) but it was high mileage so used tools roads to save time so my bad I guess

If you took miles of tolled motorway to get to Monaco, then it’s going to be pricey. It’s how the French and Italians work it, to rip-off Brit’s.

Had a lovely saunter around Monaco on the bikes, not busy, rode a bit of the track, saw the sights and parked up where all the fancy yachts are and had some enlightening conversations with some of the crews, most interesting, informative and above all, friendly. Some of those Yachts are like Thunderbirds with hydraulic ramps for smaller boats encased within and ramps for some very nice cars...This was 2008 though and it was July, I suppose it is all very different now!

I walked around just before covid plus a ride on the open top bus worth doing. We stopped in close by Italy and took the train in cheaper and no traffic problems. The train station is part way up the hill underground.

Back
Top Bottom