Nealy 2 years in, did i choose the right bike?

Hartley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ive wanted a GS for a very long time but as we all know, they aint cheap and it wasn’t til 2021 when I test rode a 1250 was it the right time for me to make the second biggest purchase of my life (After my house). It was very much a case of scratching an itch.

I was chatting to mate today and talking bikes. He asked if I was happy with the GS and would I buy the same again?
That question got me to thinking about if I would actually buy exactly the same again in hindsight. I thought my experiences maybe useful to another GS first timer.
Firstly, I really like the bike, no doubt about that, I find it has plenty of performance for me and its great fun to ride.

The bike I bought was a R1250 GS Triple Black
Options I added were:
Heated seats
Engine bars
Spot lights
Nav 6
So if I were to buy again would I buy the same?

The bike. I love the look of the Triple Black so I guess that’s a yes. I think id maybe consider the Adventure but im not sure about that.

The heated seats are great, though my wife finds the pillion seat uncomfortable so I bought her a standard seat which shes happy with, she doesn’t ride in cold weather anyway.

Engine Bars, buying again I think id look at SW Motech. The Standard BMW bars don’t appear to fully protect the cam covers in a spill.

Spot lights. Quite expensive but I prefer the look of them over the Denalis so id probably go the same.

Nav 6. I got a deal on the Nav so didn’t pay full price but I think getting a Zumo XT would have been a better option.

Ive used Givi luggage for years and had Trekker panniers and Topbox that I used on my previous Crosstourers so opted for the GIVI quick release pannier mounts and they work ok. I did end up buying the Givi Alaska boxes as theyre top opening.

Ive posted else where about bubbling engine paint but overall Im glad i pushed the button on the GS. What remains to be seen is if id buy another.

Love my 1250 GSA but haven’t used it much the last few years . No issues at all , love it but thinking of changing it for a T Max 560 .. going to tour Europe with the boys this Summer and reckon it will be all I need

As much as i love my Gs & hate the bloody thing when it dosent run, i wouldnt change it for the world

Ive tried other adventure bikes in the out of love periods ..

Nothing comes close to a GS. it just works

Interesting read. My 2022 GS is 3 in September and I'm thinking to renew or keep. Keep seems favourite at the moment as I particularly like the HP colours plus my bike has been faultless. Will consider the extended warranty and weigh up the cost of that when I know it.

As said above, I've tried a few of the alternatives and the GS beats them all for me and what I want it for.

GSA would be high on my list if I do change it.

Rode sports bikes for a long time. Toured on sports bikes. Resisted the GS for a long time.

Then I tried one. It took a bit of time to understand it and adapt my riding a little to get the best out of it. The Telelever and Paralever enable/make you ride slightly differently to get the greatest performance out of it.

I rode around and away from them on the GS

Biker mates took the mick out of me.

Now on my 3rd GS.

I still have a sportsbike.

3 biker mates now ride the GS.

Biker mates still take the mick.

I still ride away from them lol.

Great read and comments from others.

I have had a 1200 GSA since 2019, having ridden sports bikes then moved to KTM Superduke. Actually had the Superduke and GSA at the same time but this year decided to sell the KTM and thought just stick with the GSA.

I am now in the process of upgrading the GSA 1200 to GSA 1250, great bikes and looking forward to the new 1250. I know others have said not a huge difference but subtle changes will be good. Plus the warranty and breakdown cover was another deciding factor, payout 3 years of warranty and breakdown cover on the older 1200 or just go for the upgrade......upgrade won.

But you haven’t answered your first post.

If you’re taking to me Homer, I think I did?
Yes I bought the right bike but may have chosen different options with hindsight.

Yes I bought the right bike but may have chosen different options with hindsight.

I'm confused by this statement. So what would you have bought with hindsight, and why? Your first part suggests that anything other than the GS you bought would have been the 'wrong' bike...

Hi Spare parts,
My point about the original post was mainly to say what choices I would make with hindsight. When I say right bike I’m talking as a whole rather than would I have bought a GS at all. I don’t regret buying a GS. As a mate said to me, you’re going to have one sooner or later or you’ll always wonder.
With hindsight I would still choose a Triple black over a Rally, standard or whatever other model was available at the time.
I would choose alternative engine bars and GPS though.
Does that explain what I was trying to say?

Hi buddy, glad to hear that after two years your both enjoying your GS and that the “itch” was definitely worth scratching. :thumb2

Hello mate, how are you doing?
You still on the AT?

The bikes are great, but the current dealer network reports of poor service and shoddy workmanship can push people onto other bikes.

At their current price point, they should be better.

Shaft drive sells bikes though...

As much as i love my Gs & hate the bloody thing when it dosent run, i wouldnt change it for the world

Ive tried other adventure bikes in the out of love periods ..

Nothing comes close to a GS. it just works

But is it in your garage so its actually there for you to ride?

The bikes are great, but the current dealer network reports of poor service and shoddy workmanship can push people onto other bikes.

At their current price point, they should be better.

Shaft drive sells bikes though...

Yep.

I have a love hate relationship with mine.

On the up side, like pretty much any modern bike, it’s more capable than I am, it is certainly quick enough, comfortable, handles very well, and can do anything I ask of a bike. I think it looks good too, which helps.

On the negatives, the range is a bit disappointing, the battery’s shite, the horn’s shite, it’s bloody heavy, though you get used to that and it doesn’t matter once you’re rolling, it’s far more noisy than a bike costing this much should be, the wind, rain and road noise coming up through the steering tunnel suggests the design team are either deaf, or don’t care. And I’ve had a succession of issues which have eventually all been fixed, but which pissed me off to the extent of trying to get BMW to take the bloody thing back. They fucked me off, of course.

The more I ride it, the more I like it, two and a half years and 6500 miles, I could see me spending some cash on panniers, spotlights and a decent horn. Maybe it’s a bit like a Land Rover, you have to fuck about with them for a while, and once they’re sorted, you keep them for twenty years. Equally I could see me flogging it off and buying another Guzzi.

Couldn’t see me ever buying another bike with a chain.

I'm with SBD and Craig Holt. At the time it (4 years ago) was THE best bike for my needs. All day comfortable, fast enough, great handling, great brakes etc.
Now, after a pretty bad ownership experience, I've test ridden the new Tiger 1200 (obv this new model Triumph wasn't available when I bought my GS). If I was making the decision to buy a new bike today it would probably be the Tiger. I'm very impressed by it!

I had money burning a hole in my pocket and was seduced by a 1250GSA.

In hindsight I wish I had kept my old Hexhead GSA (and the cash I spent on the bike and new hard luggage.) The new bike is smoother and faster than the old one but it has less character.

The old Hexhead will probably still be running long after this one has fallen apart or died in an electronic hissy fit.

I have two friends who’ve recently bought the new Tiger 1200s, both very impressed with them. When the time comes it’s definitely one to try. I rode several of the previous model and despite what a lot people ay about it being lardy I thought it was a lovely bike.

I had money burning a hole in my pocket and was seduced by a 1250GSA.

In hindsight I wish I had kept my old Hexhead GSA (and the cash I spent on the bike and new hard luggage.) The new bike is smoother and faster than the old one but it has less character.

The old Hexhead will probably still be running long after this one has fallen apart or died in an electronic hissy fit.

Agreed.

Whenever I think of more POWARRR or less weight and start searching newer GSAs, then I groan inside as I really don’t like the idea of unreliability. The 1150 has been incredible and servicing is beyond reasonable when compared to everything else I could own…

Attachments

• 09069229-B51E-422F-906D-F592FE3F0DC0.jpg
    09069229-B51E-422F-906D-F592FE3F0DC0.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 370

Back
Top Bottom