No GPS, No Motorways

Magnum

Reaction score
When I did this trip last year I observed the following 2 rules.

1 - No GPS/Sat Nav - Bought a good map and placed it in the usual tank-bag window. Never got lost although on one occasion I was temporary unsure of my position :augie More "organic" if you like, and took me back to the days we all managed to get around without GPS. I am 100% sure that this approach led to a more enjoyable trip with journey planning and navigation a real pleasure.

2 - No Motorways - Not so much of an issue in the mountains because there aren't any :JB But in the valleys avoiding motorways allowed much more of the scenery to be taken in and made for a far more enjoyable riding experience. Because there's a 40 Franc annual charge for using the motorways in Switzerland there is always a non-motorway alternative route.

I think it would be great if we did the trip observing these 2 rules. I'm not talking about positioning to Switzerland - that wouldn't be fun at all - but when the route proper starts I think it would make the trip more enjoyable :thumb2

What do you think?

i'm all in favour of no motorways, but don't see the point of turning my GPS off :confused:

i'm all in favour of no motorways, but don't see the point of turning my GPS off :confused:
Using maps allows you to take control of your exact route. For example, last year we ran into some changeable weather and a chat with a few other bikers coming the other way confirmed it was chucking it down ahead. A quick look at the map and an alternative route was found in seconds.

It also makes you much more aware of signs and turnings.

No GPS no motorways

I will be using the human form of GPS, in fact the local edition ..... that's you...Magnum.

I will promise to keep mine switched off (and out of your sight) until I am totally lost and all alone and when I can't make head nor tail of my map.

Definitely no motorways in Switzerland.. we'll have seen enough of those things on the way down, and on the way back.

Bandit.

ps. Magnum is this a roll.....:roll
or a Yoyo...........
sorry Joy........ I couldn't resist.
:)

I like the planning abilities of a map but also like the heading / time to destination / altitude / and notification of turns and detour planning of a GPS.

+1 on the motorway sentiments though :thumb

1 - No GPS/Sat Nav
2 - No Motorways

I agree! I do this on all my trips (two to western Europe, one to Ireland and one to Scotland so far in the last 2 years).

Motorways are boring compared to minor roads - useful only to get somewhere in a hurry.

I have a map stuffed into my jacket and stop when I need to consult ... which is quite frequently :roll Some of my best days came out of getting lost.

For me, its the journey that counts, not the destination.

While GPS ...

... is very useful for finding an exact address, I do find that I arrive not knowing where I've been :( Sounds a bit odd, but using a map forces you to concentrate on your surroundings, therefore you see more. Slavishly following the GPS means you concentrate on that rather than what you are passing. Just my 2d anyway :augie

These Two rules = Adventure.

I´m agree.

V`ssss from Spain:Motomartin

Agree about the motorways apart from getting to Vevey, but probably moot, as I can't see any in the Alps, and I'll probably go for a wander off-piste on the way home anyhow!:thumb2

However, I'll be taking a GPS, for 'tracking' purposes and for personal evidence of heights attained. Perhaps I should have mentioned I have a slight fear of heights...:augie

Having the GPS wired to my ear plugs via an Autocom, I'm less reliant on reading it, as I can obviously hear it, so I find it better than glancing down at maps, especially mid hairpin :blast. Apart from that, my iPod'll be wired in, too :green gri

It does bring into question the issue of 'leadership' for each group - if I'm asked to lead (and I'm NOT volunteering!) I'll have to use a GPS.

As someone said, Magnum's the human GPS, so I, for one, will be sniffing his exhaust gases...

:D

JB

Last edited:
i had a thought...

i use the GPS as a kph speedo when abroad, so it it will be on.

i had a thought...

i use the GPS as a kph speedo when abroad, so it it will be on.
You don't need it for that. I have a foolproof method.

1 - Glance down at your speedo
2 - Memorise mph speed
3 - Quickly divide mph speed by 5 and multiply by 8 to get kph speed
4 - Shout kph speed out loud

I know what you're thinking. "What if my speed changes?"

This is the really clever bit - just repeat 1-4 above :D

Using maps allows you to take control of your exact route.

Why an either/or? I use both but now avoid the map in the tank bag after a front wheel/lump of wood interface when perusing the map. This had a very similar effect as a very hot curry:eek:
My GPS is above the clocks and just below my line of sight, the map is still in the tankbag but out of sight, works for me:thumb2

Why an either/or?
I think we all have to decide how to navigate. Having done the trip last year I can say with some certainly that the "maps only" approach really added to the sense of adventure, even if this isn't exactly outer Mongolia.

I use GPS every week in my cars and wouldn't be without it, but then again I'm normally finding addresses in built up areas. On the tour there is generally one road to follow and turnings are not that frequent. It's very easy to end up relying on GPS and it does detract a little from the overall riding experience. You need to be more alert when using maps and that inevitably means you take in more of the scenery.

However, I'll be taking a GPS, for 'tracking' purposes and for personal evidence of heights attained. Perhaps I should have mentioned I have a slight fear of heights...:augie

Having the GPS wired to my ear plugs via an Autocom, I'm less reliant on reading it, as I can obviously hear it, so I find it better than glancing down at maps, especially mid hairpin :blast. Apart from that, my iPod'll be wired in, too :green gri

It does bring into question the issue of 'leadership' for each group - if I'm asked to lead (and I'm NOT volunteering!) I'll have to use a GPS.

As someone said, Magnum's the human GPS, so I, for one, will be sniffing his exhaust gases...

:D

JB

All of Wot he said :agree

Plus special music on the Zumo

You don't need it for that. I have a foolproof method.

1 - Glance down at your speedo
2 - Memorise mph speed
3 - Quickly divide mph speed by 5 and multiply by 8 to get kph speed
4 - Shout kph speed out loud

I know what you're thinking. "What if my speed changes?"

This is the really clever bit - just repeat 1-4 above :D

Glance at speedo
Memorisation chant 67 mph 67 mph 67 mph, oh shit 69 mph 69 mph - call it 68
so thats 68 / 5 Hmmm, 5's into 6 goes 1 remainder 1 add onto the 8 which is 18 / 5 is 3 and bit ish so thats 13 now times by 8 so 8 tens is 80 plus 8 3's which is 24 so thats 104 kph.
HONESTLY I WAS ONLY DOING 104 KPH (ISH) OFFICER \ GENDARMERIER ;):aidan (see what I did there, shouting)

No offence meant, just being a sarcastic barsteward. :hide

Magnum

Standards have clearly dropped in education. People just can't do a little bit of mental arithmetic, I think your mph to kph formula couldn't be easier. Apart from that it keeps your mind active for moments such as when you go round a hairpin bend.....

Bandit
:beer:

Using maps allows you to take control of your exact route. For example, last year we ran into some changeable weather and a chat with a few other bikers coming the other way confirmed it was chucking it down ahead. A quick look at the map and an alternative route was found in seconds.

It also makes you much more aware of signs and turnings.

I enjoy taking advice from a one trip pony :D

If you knew how to use a GPS properly you could do the same - It's ususally the operaters fault, never the unit. = turn off the motorway option on the GPS unit. Plus your more likely to wander off down small roads with a GPS just as much as using a map, because you can, and have a ready reference of where your heading.

Ever tried reading a map in the dark and rain.

Ever tried to give people you've become seperated from your exact location when there are no signs in the vacinity.

gps

Im with the map boys on this one. But then again i have'nt got a gps!!:nenau
Tend to follow someone who knows where they are going :thumb YA DO KNOW WHERE YA GOING DONT YOU MAGNUM!!!! :comfort: :rolleyes: :thumb

I enjoy taking advice from a one trip pony :D

If you knew how to use a GPS properly you could do the same - It's ususally the operaters fault, never the unit. = turn off the motorway option on the GPS unit. Plus your more likely to wander off down small roads with a GPS just as much as using a map, because you can, and have a ready reference of where your heading.

Ever tried reading a map in the dark and rain.

Ever tried to give people you've become seperated from your exact location when there are no signs in the vacinity.
Don't be so bloody patronising and presumptious. I've been using GPS in cars for the last 10 years all over Europe with all the options you describe. It doesn't change my opinion of its usefulness in this trip.

This is about biking in the Alps with very few road options. It's about the overall riding experience NOT which system you think is more efficient.

We won't be riding at night either.

If you can't be arsed to read a map maybe this isn't the trip for you, not that you were even an "maybe".

Im with the map boys on this one. But then again i have'nt got a gps!!:nenau
Tend to follow someone who knows where they are going :thumb YA DO KNOW WHERE YA GOING DONT YOU MAGNUM!!!! :comfort: :rolleyes: :thumb
Follow me mate, you'll be fine :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom