Optimus

Redboots

Member well-known
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am going to overhaul my Optimus SVEA 123 this spring. Its not had an outing for a long time.
I bought it in the early 70's for 10 - 12 quid I think. A lot of money then, like a third of a weeks wages.
It sounds like a RAF Lightning on full afterburners when you crank it up for your early morning coffee :D

Mine is the one that came with a windshield and pan set (3) that telescopes together.
I still think its better than my Coleman 533, not least because I put bike fuel in it.

The pans need a bloody good clean!

op1.jpg
op1b.jpg
op4.jpg
op6.jpg
Small pack size
opt6.jpg

Last edited:
Blimey! :eek
Definitely needs a makeover! :thumb2
You’ll obviously need to post some “ after “ pics too. :thumb2

Being gentle and white vinegar, apparently:

I'll give some of those ideas a try. Plus maybe add some baking soda to the vinegar.
But do they work as well on aluminium as aluminum? :D

I have the base where the burner goes cleaned up a bit but not perfect by a long chalk.
That and the wind shield part now slide into each other like a they were made to.
I have bought a stainless steel cooking pot with a lid that the burner and wind shield fit into and will use it like that in the meantime.
The 3 pans are a bit mingin' and need a good bit of work, but time is short.

I've given up on the pan parts of this and bought a Boundless Voyage titanium cooking pot.
Same as this but exactly the same thing (brand) from AliExpress for €26 and some cents.

The burner holder and the windshield have cleaned up ok with a Brillo Pad.
The burner fits into the windshield and they go into the cooking pot. A sponge cleaner on top of the burner spaces it out to the lid (frying pan) and I have cut a heatproof mat to form a protective base and a sleeve inside the main pot.

It works for me.
Now to master the Aeropress with coffee pod/bags.

Back
Top Bottom