OSMand with Android Auto Review.

Mzokk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In the spirit of experimentation I tried Myroute App with Android Auto A month or so ago and was impressed even though I don't think it is yet a replacement for a dedicated navigation device. In the same spirit I thought I would give OSMand a go. I had looked at the app before but it is not as straight forward as the myroute option as its use is not only automotive but also hiking cycling etc. It is therefore highly configureable and thus not as easy to use as it could be. I invested a couple of hours watching these two video's

Basic Overview

In depth view.

And looking at OSMand's website. https://osmand.net/docs/user/navigation/auto-car/

I also invested a fiver in the use of the app for a year as you can't use Android auto without subscription. This allows access to AA and loads of free mapping options including topo and slope (useful for walkers and cyclists).

To test the app I used one of my old phones a Motorola G7 and I factory reset it. So a clean phone and all I loaded was OSMand and the required map. I used the same test route as I used in my route app and loaded it onto the phone and my Zumo XT.

Screenshot_20230720-164534.jpg

IMG_20230720_123630812_HDR.jpg

Ready for the off but both have slightly different notions of how to get to the start point!! Followed the Garmin but OSMand recalculated and followed the same route. Recalculation was a bit slow but its an old phone I'm sure that a newer more powerful phone would recalculate more quickly.

IMG_20230720_124913813_HDR.jpg

After about 0.3 of a mile to a junction it gives the distance in feet but audio directions continue in points of a mile until about 300ft. A nice feature is it warns of stop signs at junctions as can be seen above. It also warns of speed bumps coming up which I'm sure would be welcome in a strange place particularly if it was raining/dark and the warning paint had worn off the bumps as it has done with many round here.

IMG_20230720_130304839_HDR.jpg

Another feature is describing sharp bends and giving a visual and Audio indication. Probably a feature that was designed for cyclists. Could be a pain or a godsend depending on your viewpoint. It probably can be switched off as the app is highly configureable.

Northern Ireland Harbour authority dredger in Ardglass.......a digger strapped/chained to a barge.

IMG_20230720_135458443_HDR.jpg

Overall I was impressed by the app. I shortend the test as it was starting to bucket on me. So I routed home with the Garmin and the OSMand App. The OSMand was more likely to route to main roads than the Garmin rather than shorter time (though road speeds can be configured in the app which would change this). My garmin was not connected to bluetooth/my phone for this test and seemed to be routing in a somewhat similar way to my Old Garmins on the way home. (Wonder if the sometimes weird routing behaviour of the XT somehow linked to roads information relayed by ones phone over bluetooth??)

Observations

1. The app is slow to recalculate compared to the Garmin or Myroute app (but this could be the phone). Think streetpilot 2610 vs Zumo XT Slower but not catastrophic
2. Street names are not given when navigating a GPX file but are when navigating direct. Could have been the way I set up the route?
3. When navigating a GPX file the app automatically displays the track which is nice.
4. Very little difference between the Garmin navigating Here maps and OSMand navigating open street maps
5. Its more of a 2d display rather than a 3d. On the screen some of the menu items such as

android_auto_interaction-ab53f7c5c4db17dd6c47b502dd924d38.png

Disapear until you touch the screen meaning the screen is not cluttered.

android_auto_start_navigation-ff20c33021fd900714a42e3c342a8f32.png

6.The app did not drop out or do anything else odd over about 2.5hrs 3hrs of use.

Finally you can route in the app but its not as easy as using basecamp or particularly myrouteapp. Now the free version of MRA gives access to OSM routing. It would be a perfect companion to this app. There is loads to learn about OSMand and I'll persist experimenting with it. However, none of these apps are as convenient or as polished or as fast as a dedicated Nav device like the Garmin Zumo range.

Hope this helps someone!

Thank you. Good report.

One question. What is the cradle, holding your phone or is it a screen of some kind?

Hi, The big screen below the Garmin is the Africa Twin dash it normally looks something like this. You can toggle between the bike info and Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

2021-Honda-Africa-Twin-1.jpg

The phone is in an old lowepro camera waist bag straped over the handlebar. :)

Another observations occured to me. The app does not seem to be particularly powere hungry the phone only warmed a little and it charged while plugged in. Which is good.

A little update to this review. The OSMand Android Auto app has been updated and would be a very good choice for those installing dumb AA Carplay screens on their bikes for navigation music etc. Also appears to be the App used by Itchy Boots at the moment.

It is not a find me a curvy road type application but it is great for planning your own routes creating a GPX file and following that route.

Its a very functional Sat Nav using Open Street Map Data with the choice of both online and offline maps. There is a subscription of £10 PA for using the AA facility and the browser based route planning tool or a lifetime subscription for 29.99. Like HERE Maps and Google Maps, OsmAnd allows you to download entire countries or continents for offline use.

OsmAnd is highly configurable. You can tweak settings to suit your preferences and it is designed not only for road use but all sorts of activities.

Screenshot_20240227-100854.jpg

This is both a positive and a negative you can get lost in all of the settings during my 6-7 months of experimenting with the app I defaulted back to original settings a couple of times as I'd got myself in a pickle.

Screenshot_20240227-100915.jpg

This is a few of the settings that can be tweaked. Here is the motorcycle one I'm using.

Screenshot_20240227-103229.jpg

The app itself is not resource hungry compared to others and has been updated in the last month. This has greatly improved recalculation speed and in addition they have extended the 3d capability of the app to Android Auto. The angle of the 3D can be altered by the user on the phone (by sliding two finger up and down the screen.) and this is mirrored on the AA screen. The advantage of this is that if you a free riding you can see upcoming junctions and roads earlier and chose as appropriate something that was difficult to do with the old 2d AA map. A few Screen shots.

2d screen

Screenshot_20240227-101218.jpg

Extreme 3d

Screenshot_20240227-101145.jpg

Moderate 3d

Screenshot_20240227-101117.jpg

Landscape mode
Screenshot_20240227-101332.jpg

On the Honda Africa twin AA screen.

IMG_20240226_163025642_HDR.jpg

MRA navigation next is to be updated in the next week or so hopefully they will have fixed the resource hungry nature of the app. I'll give an update on that on the other thread when the updated app is released.

Back
Top Bottom