Please be kind fellow motorcyclists ...

Cobb2020

Reaction score
I have a test ride on a 1300GS booked & it will probably be an easy sell for the dealer as I really want one.
It does seem however that there have been certain issues with bikes already out there so I would be grateful for any information as to what I need to ask at the dealership as regards recalls, problems experienced by you guys etc?
Lastly, desirable options. I'm thinking electric screen & adaptive height & I'm liking the Trophy colouring with cast wheels.
Thanks everyone in advance.

I have a test ride on a 1300GS booked & it will probably be an easy sell for the dealer as I really want one.
It does seem however that there have been certain issues with bikes already out there so I would be grateful for any information as to what I need to ask at the dealership as regards recalls, problems experienced by you guys etc?
Lastly, desirable options. I'm thinking electric screen & adaptive height & I'm liking the Trophy colouring with cast wheels.
Thanks everyone in advance.

Buy one, they’re fantastic

Don’t worry too much about recalls, there has only really been one, for the starter relay which only effected a small number of bikes and should now be sorted

Electric screen for me is a no brainer, the wind protection is surprisingly good, much better than the GSA screen on my 1200

Adaptive ride height is brilliant, even if you’re tall enough to not need it, it’s so much easier getting on and off and especially useful if you carry a pillion

Cast wheels, get them if you want them, they look really nice (I went for gold spoked but that’s just personal taste)

Trophy colour, we’ll yes obviously

Only problems at the moment are OEM luggage is not easily available and some aftermarket choices are hard to find at the moment too in UK

IMPORTANT! If you want to fit an aftermarket top box, order the OEM aluminum vario rack option so you can fit an adapter plate, the other racks are plastic and you’ll have to replace them completely to fit a top box

Check the posts in the 1300 section for other options and tips

Before you do consider placing an order get an insurance quote as there's been some eye watering premiums being quoted and in some insurers refusing to even cover them. It's a mixed picture, you might be "lucky" but you could also end up being asked for silly money.

Last edited:
Cobb if it was me I would go Triple-Black,sports-suspension & forged wheels as must have options...And 2 3Liter jerry cans from Touratech inside the topcase that you dont run out of fuel ater 150 spirited miles ! I would ask for free bags as a reward for being an early adopter/beta tester...LOL

the radar cruise and blind spot, I'm not convinced its worth the extra outlay its OK but once the novelty has worn off not sure id bother.

I don't have the adaptive ride height and as I ride with no pillion have no regrets there.

The electric screen is great , wind protection is good.

Cobb I have seen the trophy with forged wheels in my local dealer and it does look a very fine motorcycle. You will be very happy with your purchase.

the radar cruise and blind spot, I'm not convinced its worth the extra outlay its OK but once the novelty has worn off not sure id bother.

Personally I didn’t spec this, as I hate it on cars so I figured I’d like it even less on a bike

If you spend your life on the M25 it is certainly brilliant but otherwise I wouldn’t want it

I didn’t spec the headlight pro either as I hardly ever ride at night

I guess a lot depends on how you use the bike and where

Last edited:
All a personal choice when it comes to the options:

I specified adaptive ride height, I have a 29" inside leg, I,m 62 and getting no younger and I was recommended to also have the low seat, since I would be carrying a pillion. The test bike had adaptive ride height and for me it made life easier. Ask the dealer whether the automatic seat height "lowers" as much with a pillion, I was told it stays a little higher.

Electric screen is superb and it is the one option I missed after trading in my R1200RT.

Radar cruise never even entered my mind as we live in rural France.

I’m sure some will spec their new bikes with every option going……
And some will pick and chose various options to suit themselves……there is no right or wrong, just what suits each individual owner/rider.

Thankfully, we are all individuals, so there are many options available, as long as the wallet can cover the wishes of the buyer

In General if you want to sell a bike that is not full option come resell or trade in time it is a harder sell...Having said that I dont need or would use the radar cruise control , auto-lowering and would love the option for a real key instead of being forced into keyless...Blind spot monitoring though is a nice thing and might save your bacon one day when having to make a quick evasive maneuver having not enough time to look over your shoulder ! But with these bikes aproaching 30 grand maybe 1400 cc for having more than enough power , 200 mile tank range and a decend looking taillight would be not too much to ask for...IMHO A manually operated exhaust valve loud/quiet would be nice too ! And for people like Arsey having problems to find the blinker , back lid switches...LOL

Thanks everyone for your knowledge, it is appreciated.
One option that I would like to have is the chrome exhaust but it seems that you can only have this as part of the 'Touring Package' at a cost of £710.00.
As I don't want the other equipment included in the TP option it seems a bit of a shame.
Think I'll ask the dealer if this is correct.

Before you do consider placing an order get an insurance quote as there's been some eye watering premiums being quoted and in some insurers refusing to even cover them. It's a mixed picture, you might be "lucky" but you could also end up being asked for silly money.
Should be a first thing done, before even thinking of test ridding it or any other bike for that matter.

I would definitely spec the enduro pack. Lots of extras included which well covers the cost.
Adjustable foot pegs; bar risers; engine bars; relocated indicators; stubby levers; exhaust hanger so rear pegs can be removed; proper bash plate.

I got the black spoked wheels and wish I'd gone for the forged wheels, they are beautiful.

Agree - add the Enduro Pack.
I was on the fence so decided to add it later if wanted.
Have now been quoted £600 for the bars alone!

Obviously not going for that now - but wish I'd ticked the box.

I don't have the adaptive ride height and as I ride with no pillion have no regrets there.

The electric screen is great , wind protection is good.

Cobb I have seen the trophy with forged wheels in my local dealer and it does look a very fine motorcycle. You will be very happy with your purchase.
I have just fitted an INNOV Third Eye blind spot system to my RS. Whether it's worth it may depend on the rider - I have issues with visibility, so for me it's perfect.

Back
Top Bottom