Possible cure for surging?

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys, I`ve just posted something in the LC section - I recently did a test on a bit of kit (redacted report below) and was amazed by the results. I do actually have an XR but with a PC on it (to sort out the surging!) but I`m wondering if it will work on a standard bike and negate the surging?

If I go ahead and add this service to my portfolio of services would anyone be interested in a trial........... (mates rates :))?

A bit long winded but here is the report I was asked to do. Can`t really praise it enough, it`s Dynajet and then some but without the rolling road

I`ve intentionally excluded some stuff but it gives you an idea of what I thought.

Date of installation - 1 Aug 2016

Bike - 2014 R1200GSA (Liquid Cooled) H52

Equipment/ECU - RapidBike Racing.

Installers:
Mark Hooton - Managing Director Cymarc Eng Ltd & Owner of Cymarc Bike Parts.
****** ****** - C&G Vehicle, Mech & Elec Eng. B Tec ONC Veh Eng. B Tec HNC Veh Eng. B Tec HND Management.

Time taken - 6 hours including bike strip down & reassembly.

Bike prep for fitting

Intentional exclusion

Final fitting of ECU

Intentional exclusion

Recommendations

1. Full motorcycle workshop facilities & tooling.
2. Full length hydraulic bike ramp (for access to lambda sensors & lower wiring).
3. Official BMW workshop & repair data (for professional and safe stripping/reassembly of the bike).

Intentional exclusion

Summary

Although not impossible to fit by a keen DIY`er it`s very clear that to do a professional fitment there needs to be quite a bit in place with resources at hand (listed below). Also the following recommendations need to be considered (also listed below). However it must be stated that the quality of equipment/wiring/plugs & sockets was very high indeed but sadly let down by the instructions even when competent people with excellent resources & experience are applied. I am sure that the fitment time could come down without compromising quality & professionalism of fit on subsequent installs. There is a massive amount of assumed knowledge on the part of the DIY installer especially if a professional fit is desired and I suspect with most BMW owners it will be.
The bike started first time with the onboard Hydrocarbon/CO2 meter registering an instant change to emissions proving that the system was up and running.
My colleague and I think that it`s a great bit of kit and if does what it says on the tin then it`s a great answer to non rolling road tuning & `emission management`. This will be borne out by the recommended 200km ride to take place within the next few weeks. I will also be surprised if the software, for precise additional tuning via a laptop is needed for most users. I do anticipate a glowing road review based on the literature and perceptions - it really looks like a cracking bit of kit especially with the ability to accommodate non standard items such as filters and pipes without recourse to rolling roads.

Date of road test - Sunday 7th/Monday 8th August 2016

Bike - 2014 R1200GSA (Liquid Cooled) H52

Equipment/ECU - RapidBike Racing.

Rider - Mark Hooton, Managing Director Cymarc Eng Ltd & Owner of Cymarc Bike Parts. 34 years experience of motorcycle riding.

Time taken - 2 days

Distance covered - 476 Miles

MPG (Ave) - Previous 49mpg. At end of test 48mpg.

Fuel - Super Unleaded.

Ambient conditions - 7th Aug 18.5 deg. 8th Aug 14.5 deg. Dry. Altitude from sea level up to 1300ft above sea level (Hartside Moor Cafe).

Roads - Motorway, A Roads, B Roads and light green lanes

Roadtest observations - I found a noticeable improvement in performance in not only low & medium speed performance but surprisingly in high speed `roll on` tests too. The fuelling seems/feels to be richer (with any fuel consumption over such a short distance being negligible if at all) and the bike runs more crisply with a distinct quicker response to throttle operation in all rev ranges all the way up to red line. The bike was not placed on a rolling road but I would not be surprised to find a slight increase in bhp & torque as a result of the improved fuelling.
There was no hesitation in overtakes and at tickover the bike ran very well indeed. There was no `pinking` or `knocking` usually associated with something not being right and on the face of it (or what the regular customer will perceive) it simply is `bolt on performance` (though there is much more to it than that on the installation).

Summary

I am very much impressed with what the kit can do but I am yet to be convinced that it is glitch free or is adaptive until I have done more riding

Mine surges forward like a pit bull every time I touch the throttle.

Back
Top Bottom