Project Christine. (GS1000s)

Bit more striping down today. I’m at a bit of a loss as the guy cutting me some keys has let me down so I’ve had to order from another company. Shame cos I can’t get the seat up to get the tank off until I have the keys.
Anywho today I’ve stripped the handlebars and front brakes off the old girl and got the rear wheel out and shocks off. And yet again everything came apart with zero effort or fuss.. all the bolts are in remarkable condition so with a little polishing should be good to reuse.

Attachments

• IMG_4356.jpeg
    IMG_4356.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4357.jpeg
    IMG_4357.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4358.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4359.jpeg
    IMG_4359.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4360.jpeg
    IMG_4360.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 82
Key arrived today which meant I could get the seat and tank off. Good news is the seat base is rock solid with no rust. The tank shows no rust on the outside or underneath which is good. The not so great is, although the previous owner looks like he’d filled the tank with paraffin to protect it unfortunately it’s not worked that well. There’s a fair amount of rust sloshing about. I’ve drained and flushed most of the loose stuff out but I think tomorrow I’ll try to remove the rest with abit of electrolysis.
I did find the original Suzuki tool kit under the seat in what looks like new condition. Anyway we’re moving forward every day.

IMG_4363.jpeg

IMG_4364.jpeg

IMG_4361.jpeg

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4366.jpeg

You have the making of a bloody good bike there; there was 3 of us had ice cream vans in the early 80s from brand new; 2 red and white and one blue and white; the guy with the blue and white one still has his; bang orig and immaculate. :okay

Looks like a very good start for a rebuild….. it all looks original, and apart from rusty exhausts, no major problems……even the exhaust header studs appear to have come out without grief…..im surprised as most old inline fours the exhaust studs are a pain and shear off….

Keep going, as I think this will look great when completed.

Got stuck in this morning and now down to just a frame n engine. I now understand why a lot of GS’s ran with just little k&n filters on the carbs because getting the carbs off with the air box in place is a greased pig of a job. Knuckles look like I’ve spent the weekend on the piss in a pikey camp. Ffs I’m not looking forward to that part of the reassembly. Next job is to get the motor out and then I can strip the last bit of the frame before I get chained to my mates vapour blaster for a week.lol

Attachments

• IMG_4369.jpeg
    IMG_4369.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4372.jpeg
    IMG_4372.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4371.jpeg
    IMG_4371.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4370.jpeg
    IMG_4370.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 63
I converted my GS1000E to K&N after one too many swearing sessions pulling the carbs in and out. That was with relatively new rubbers as well.

So Sy...what you going with the engine? A Dremel won't cut it 😉
I’m having my mate Tim strip it and rebuild it ( he’s an ex WSB mechanic) then I’m using his vapour blaster to clean all the cases back to factory fresh. All the metal works getting chemically stripped the resprayed in 2Pac to get a factory finish and all plastic bits are going off with another mate to be ultrasonically cleaned. I’m looking into maybe doing abit of DIY electroplating (zinc) on all the nuts n bolts as that’s the finish most had from the factory

Well after a good solid mornings graft and some assistance from Ross’s old crew chief Brian, Christine is now totally disassembled. Only 3 bolts have given some resistance with the rest coming apart easily.
Now the long slow process of cleaning, stripping and repainting each part starts.

Attachments

• IMG_4380.jpeg
    IMG_4380.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4379.jpeg
    IMG_4379.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4378.jpeg
    IMG_4378.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4377.jpeg
    IMG_4377.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4376.jpeg
    IMG_4376.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 75
Well after a good solid mornings graft and some assistance from Ross’s old crew chief Brian, Christine is now totally disassembled. Only 3 bolts have given some resistance with the rest coming apart easily.
Now the long slow process of cleaning, stripping and repainting each part starts.
I would have taken that drive sprocket of whilst it was still on it's wheels; that's unless you have already loosend it .

Might be worth getting a vibrating tumbler/polisher and chucking all the bolts, springs, small brackets etc in it for a few hours then electroplating once de-rusted. Nice to see original items staying with the bike and will save you time and money sourcing replacements.

Back
Top Bottom