Protective Bits?

FurryFox

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a bunch of protective bits for my R1250GS, and I'm looking for answers to a few questions before I spend a small fortune (and see below, about this):

1. Paralever:
1a. Nippy Normans sell Wunderlich's "Paralever Slider" (£50) and a "Tornado Protector Hub Cover" (£119). If I fit one of these, do I need the other; is there any benefit to fitting both? If just one, which would be the 'better' one to fit? Also, is there anything to the notion (that I read about somewhere) that the axle hole should not be blocked, because that would impede cooling, or is this nonsense?
1b. Nippy Normans also sell a "Lever Guard" (£99), which appears to be a substitute for both of the items above. Which would be better; items above, or this? Also, how is this attached? I've had a look at the shaft housing, and I can't see how that would be done.

2. OEM Engine Bars:
2a. The plastic bits that protect these from a (probably low-speed only?) contact with the ground are sold in twos; for left and right. But which 'rung' would touch down first? It looks to me as though the lower rung would, but I've always seen these protectors attached to the upper rung. I've never seen four of these attached, i.e. one for each rung, both sides.
2b. If I fit these, could they interfere with cylinder head guards, if I wish to also fit those later? (perhaps only the bar protectors on the upper rung, rather than the lower).
2c. How 'necessary' are the reinforcing bars (Wunderlich, £199), considering that the OEM bars are already attached at three points? Do the OEM bars really bend in, and damage the cylinder head covers, on the GS? Nippy Normans refers to the GSA's OEM bars as having this "Achilles heel", but then lists both the GSA and GS under "Fits:".

3. Rear Extenda:
3a. With the OEM splash guard fitted, and a UK number plate, I can't see much space between those for spray to go around towards the underside of the top case (or even around that, to the pillion's back?). Would an Extenda (Wunderlich, £47) actually do anything, in this case?

4. Side-stand switch:
4a. Looking at this, it looks vulnerable, so I'm considering fitting the Wunderlich SwitchGuard (£59). That said, I don't expect to do much/any off-road riding. Views?

Now, regarding costs: It's astonishing how much Wunderlich/Nippy Normans charges for bits of plastic. Yes, I know someone will be along to berate me for whinging about spending a few extra quid on a £20k bike, or to tell me that the plastic is of a superior grade or something, but the prices are just ridiculous. I also know that many get these things much cheaper from AliExpress, although they sometimes find that they're of lower quality, or don't fit properly, however some of the Chinese stuff is indistinguishable from the expensive stuff (though it does take longer to arrive). While I might be concerned about fitting the cheaper stuff for 'safety critical' purposes, I'm considering it for other areas. If the Wunderlich/Nippy Normans stuff wasn't quite so ridiculously overpriced, I would be more willing to pay a bit more. Any views on this; which items to buy from where etc., would be welcome.

Just my opinion but…….

Cylinder head protectors are good, they protect better than crash bars which can still allow you to puncture the rock cover

i have OEM, other brands are available according to taste

thats all mine has,

I've just fitted a knock-off MudSling and fender extender that I got from the Kemimoto store on AliExpress.

The 'Front & Rear' option here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32789934091.html

I did have a brief pang of guilt about buying Chinese copies, but the quality seems decent enough and they're a tenth of the price of the genuine items. Like you say, I'd be a bit more concerned about safety-critical items, but these are bits of injection-moulded plastic; as long as they're near enough the right shape, there's not much to go wrong.

(If you hear reports of a bike on fire on the M6 tomorrow, that's probably me…)

Engine bars - i have SW motech. The lowers the Bike came with and the uppers i added. Be careful with what you order as most uppers only fit with specific sets of lowers.
I also have Touratech cylinder head guards which fit within the ending bars.

Fender extender front & rear does help. I do have a touratech numberplate one, which helps to extend a little further down and reduce the rear/upward trajectory to the top box.

ABS sensor, sidestand switch, exhaust valve etc - all no need unless you're off roading.

I've just fitted a knock-off MudSling and fender extender that I got from the Kemimoto store on AliExpress.

The 'Front & Rear' option here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32789934091.html

I did have a brief pang of guilt about buying Chinese copies, but the quality seems decent enough and they're a tenth of the price of the genuine items. Like you say, I'd be a bit more concerned about safety-critical items, but these are bits of injection-moulded plastic; as long as they're near enough the right shape, there's not much to go wrong.

I should have said that I've already fitted some of expensive bits, including: front fender extender (Avant), rear splashguard / extender (Wunderlich; their version of the MudSling), a small engine protector plate (Wunderlich), and radiator guards (OEM), a TFT screen protector, and a TFT anti-theft brace (Cymarc).

I have MachineArt head covers on mine and a plastic bobbin thingy to protect the final drive hub in the event of a spill. I also have frame bungs to prevent moisture corroding the frame and crudcatcher plus mudsling both of which I consider to be essential to protect the engine casing and rear suspension (criminal that given the cost of the bikes, these are not included as standard fitment). The only other things added to the bike are some helicopter tape and chainstay neoprene sleeve for the centrestand to protect against stone chips and corrosion (cheap mods) and some rad guards.

Funnily enough I had looked on there for a sidestand switch protector and found something suitable for a few quid. Why not for a non critical part? I'm not paying Wunderlich or Nippy Norman prices for simple covers:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...006524184!sea!UK!0&curPageLogUid=IjOJCS0KR9wW

Just my opinion but…….

Cylinder head protectors are good, they protect better than crash bars which can still allow you to puncture the rock cover

i have OEM, other brands are available according to taste

thats all mine has,
Do you (or anyone else?) know if I will have to remove the crash bars (OEM) to fit these?

It really does depend what you want to do with the bike and how much risk you are willing to take.

Fender extender, Mudsling and side stand foot enlarger a must. Cylinder head guards and/or crash bars definitely worth it. The rest really is bling. If your bike goes down it will all be messy no matter what.

Do you (or anyone else?) know if I will have to remove the crash bars (OEM) to fit these?
Yes you will - I have the MachineArt X-Head protectors on my 2019 R1250GS together with the OEM Crash bars - I had to remove the crash bars to put the head protectors on and then re-fit the crash bars, as once its all mounted up, its a pretty tight fit (in fact on the nearside crash bar I had to shave a thin slither of rubber off the inside so that the crash bar just cleared the head protector. But once in place, its all good. I also fitted the rear support bar from Touratech to add a little more support to the rear of the bars (stop it flexing in the event of a tumble as well as SW-Motech upper crash bars.IMG_6699.JPG

My GSA was fitted with R&G final drive protector (see photo), a Nippy Norman's supplied reinforcement bar for standard crash bars (I's probably add MachineArt covers too if buying another), Givi hand protectors and frame bungs. Also fitted Rugged Roads centrestand bash guard, crud catcher and mudsling

20210825_154701.jpg

20210825_154949.jpg20210825_154800.jpg

My GSA was fitted with R&G final drive protector (see photo), a Nippy Norman's supplied reinforcement bar for standard crash bars (I's probably add MachineArt covers too if buying another), Givi hand protectors and frame bungs. Also fitted Rugged Roads centrestand bash guard, crud catcher and mudsling
I think the reinforcement bar is by Touratech? (I think that's their logo).
My OEM bars have a plastic 'cushion' on the inside of the bars, at about the point (IIRC) where your reinforcement bar attaches. Did you have to remove those, from yours?

I think the reinforcement bar is by Touratech? (I think that's their logo).
My OEM bars have a plastic 'cushion' on the inside of the bars, at about the point (IIRC) where your reinforcement bar attaches. Did you have to remove those, from yours?
Yes, it is. My bad, checked my past invoices and it appears that I bought it from Rugged roads when I also bought the centrestand bash guard from them. Well spotted! If you check the photo you'll see the plastic spacer further back.

So you don’t spill the oil that’s in the head covers everywhere.
But I won't be removing the head-covers, just changing the bolts for ones that allow the guard to be attached.
Or does the oil run out of the bolt-hole? Or does a gap open up between the covers and the head, to allow oil to run out between them? Does the gasket detach?

Yes you will - I have the MachineArt X-Head protectors on my 2019 R1250GS together with the OEM Crash bars - I had to remove the crash bars to put the head protectors on and then re-fit the crash bars, as once its all mounted up, its a pretty tight fit (in fact on the nearside crash bar I had to shave a thin slither of rubber off the inside so that the crash bar just cleared the head protector. But once in place, its all good. I also fitted the rear support bar from Touratech to add a little more support to the rear of the bars (stop it flexing in the event of a tumble as well as SW-Motech upper crash bars.
I'm hoping that, if I fit OEM cover protectors, there will be enough clearance, between them and the OEM crash bars, to allow me to fit some crash bar sliders.

Yes as there’s a modified mount for the rear of the head cover.
Just tip the bike on its side and you don’t lose any oil.
So, tell me: was this a rather dry joke (that I didn't get), or is there really some chance that there will be some oil left in there, after 'settling', that could escape?

Back
Top Bottom