Recent European trip

Shipwreck

Reaction score
Just got back from a six day trip 4. Traveled by North Sea Ferries for Hull to Zebrugge. spent 4 nights in Germany and 1 night in La Roche en Ardennes Belgium. Thouroughly recommend the Hotel Zur Post in Klotten Mosslle Valley and Pension Williams in Seebach in the Black Forest. Klaus the owner of the place in Klotten is a bit of a chef on the QT and we had a great 2 meals there. Let us park our bikes in his garage. David at the Pension in Seebach has a wealth of knowledge of the local area and after we arrived at his place on Wednesday the 13th June after travelling through the worst rain I have ridden/driven in could not have been more helpful. Dropped us off at the local Steak house in the evening and asked the owner of the Steakhouse to drop us off back to the guest house after our meal. Top bloke. The last place we stayed at in La roche en ardennes should have been the best in way of accommodation. But the room was very hot and the breakfast was a right pot mess in the morning, really dis organised. It may have been the time of year I don't know. The hotel is called the Floreal La Roche-en-Ardenne. If someone has stayed there and had a good experience please let me know. Having said that. I had a great time and the bike (an RT) fully loaded up with the Mrs on board performed really well. Though the rear tire has squared off big style. Looking forward to my next trip.

:thumb for Hotel Zur Post in Klotten. Good restaurant. Slightly noisy if you have room at the front due to the passing trains but otherwise a top place to stay.

Only prblem I have is that others also know about it and getting a bed without pre-booking can be difficult especially near weekends.

Must have met you - I was one of the group of 10 lads at Pension Williams that arrived during the same rainstorm. One of our number was a retired bike cop who said he had never ridden in weather like it :yikes

We chose Pension Williams based on the advice of others on this forum, and I have to agree that it is a top place to stay. I would happily have stayed longer if it hadn't been full when we booked - the roads in the area are just great.

We also stayed in the Zur Post afterwards (which I have stayed in before), and we were as well looked after as last time. This time, four of us were in the apartment which is a couple of minutes walk from the main hotel. It's a little quieter as it is further away from the railway line (though none of the others found the trains particularly troubling).

I wasn't impressed with La Roche en Ardenne on my visit there a couple of years ago, though the roads around it are undeniably excellent. We didn't stay in the hotel you mention, ours was further out of town but a bit tired and run-down. There wasn't much going on in town either. I don't think I'd make it a priority to revisit the place.

Must have met you - I was one of the group of 10 lads at Pension Williams that arrived during the same rainstorm. One of our number was a retired bike cop who said he had never ridden in weather like it :yikes

We chose Pension Williams based on the advice of others on this forum, and I have to agree that it is a top place to stay. I would happily have stayed longer if it hadn't been full when we booked - the roads in the area are just great.

We also stayed in the Zur Post afterwards (which I have stayed in before), and we were as well looked after as last time. This time, four of us were in the apartment which is a couple of minutes walk from the main hotel. It's a little quieter as it is further away from the railway line (though none of the others found the trains particularly troubling).

I wasn't impressed with La Roche en Ardenne on my visit there a couple of years ago, though the roads around it are undeniably excellent. We didn't stay in the hotel you mention, ours was further out of town but a bit tired and run-down. There wasn't much going on in town either. I don't think I'd make it a priority to revisit the place.

Hi Poley. I remember, we all ordered a take away as arranged by Dave. Bumped in to you again at the Steak house on the Thursday evening. We where the foursome playing cards in the evening. The weather conditions where definitely character building. We missed our turning for Seebach and had to negotiate some tricky roads in poor visibility. Still had a great trip though. I take it you all had a good time?

Hi Poley. I remember, we all ordered a take away as arranged by Dave. Bumped in to you again at the Steak house on the Thursday evening. We where the foursome playing cards in the evening. The weather conditions where definitely character building. We missed our turning for Seebach and had to negotiate some tricky roads in poor visibility. Still had a great trip though. I take it you all had a good time?

Ah yes, I remember the four of you. Glad you had a good trip. Hope we weren't too noisy on the Wednesday but I think we were fired up after the ride and needed a couple of scoops to unwind :beerjug: :beer: The weather was dreadful but I quite enjoyed the challenge - at least it's gotta be worth some minor bragging rights :blagblah

We all had a great time thanks, although one of the group (a first-timer on a biking holiday) decided that he isn't a biker and he's put his VTR up for sale :eek TBF he did struggle a bit - got lost on the B500 and ended up in Calmbach some 45 minutes in the wrong direction, then managed to run out of fuel in St Omer about 2 clicks from the hotel :blast Nice lad though, bit of a shame though his missus is quite relieved.

The rest of us can't wait for next year and we're considering a full week at Pension Williams. The Black Forest roads are too much fun!

Small world.

Having never heard of the place, I spent a weekend in Klotten at the end of May (the Hubertus Hotel). And on the ride back, stopped in La Roche en Ardennes for lunch.

It's a bit annoying, really. :D

(Oh, and the weekend we were there, it was 26 degrees, the occasional fluffy white cloud, and Chelsea beat Bayern Munich.) Did you see the swans nest on the river bank?)

Ah yes, I remember the four of you. Glad you had a good trip. Hope we weren't too noisy on the Wednesday but I think we were fired up after the ride and needed a couple of scoops to unwind :beerjug: :beer: The weather was dreadful but I quite enjoyed the challenge - at least it's gotta be worth some minor bragging rights :blagblah

We all had a great time thanks, although one of the group (a first-timer on a biking holiday) decided that he isn't a biker and he's put his VTR up for sale :eek TBF he did struggle a bit - got lost on the B500 and ended up in Calmbach some 45 minutes in the wrong direction, then managed to run out of fuel in St Omer about 2 clicks from the hotel :blast Nice lad though, bit of a shame though his missus is quite relieved.

The rest of us can't wait for next year and we're considering a full week at Pension Williams. The Black Forest roads are too much fun!

Agreed. The weather will be definitely a talking point for years to come. "Do you remember the time we went to the Black Forest in June 2012 ..........." It was my mates wife first long trip on the back and she loved it aside from that Wednesday rain. This was my second trip to the Black forest which arguably has some of the best roads in Europe, but i am looking at going back to the mosselle region next year. Because of the weather this time round I did not get to see as much as I would have liked. At the end of the day we all prefer decent weather for biking. Even the hardcore amongst us. My mate would like to do Brittany. So maybe 2 trips next year. Better start saving. Nice to hear you and your mates had a nice time. Shame about the lad who has hung up his leathers.

Robin - no need to rub it in about the weather ;) We normally go at the end of May and have schyte weather, so we thought we'd try June for a change haha. Actually, apart from the Biblical downpour on the Wednesday (all the way from Laon) we didn't do too badly overall. Didn't see any swans though - they were probably indoors sheltering.

SW - I can understand why you'd want to go back to the Mosel area, I've been several times and love it. The only answer is 2 trips - you know it makes sense :)

Back
Top Bottom