Small tail bag for GSA rack

Buttertub

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning a few touring trips with the GSA with the two Ali side cases for the luggage but i fancy just having a few bits and bobs handy in a small tail bag that's fits the GSA rack that's easily accessible e.g. waterproof, zipped top, and easy on/off.

I already have the Ali box but don't want the extra weight or need that volume (32l). a third of that would do, 10 - 15l would be more than enough.

Has anybody come across one that might fit the bill.

TIA

Some choices here

This wee guy from Touratech. Circa £100 new, but probably find on here if patient.

IMG_6621.jpg
IMG_6620.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made it myself: bought a rough looking cheap topbox on this site, cut it down with a jig saw, drilled out a few pop rivets and removed the seal edge with a heat gun, relocated the lock to one side as the space between it and the mounting lock was so reduced, vinyl coated the whole thing inside and out and applied the tank transfers which were eye wateringly expensive.
Not hard really just painstaking.
Alan R

Hi .. I use a Kriega 'US Drypack' on my GSA. They do a universal fitting kit which allows you to create some small loops which you can leave on the bike and are very discrete. They are super tough and durable ( I have one which is >15 years old and is still good), genuinely waterproof, various sizes and are simple to remove with the fitting loops: https://kriega.com/sports/touring .. infinity usually has good stock and parts.

Plus one for the Kriegas, I have a 10 and a 20 depending on length of trip, with the small frame loops that stay on the bike. They are out of the way
The US 10 has been great for the last 13 years, looks it's age but no leaks and nothing has dropped off it
https://kriega.com/sports/touring/bmwr1250gs
I use it to hold the bag on the rear rack but the loops can be moved to place the bag on the rear seat

Plus one for the Kriegas, I have a 10 and a 20 depending on length of trip, with the small frame loops that stay on the bike. They are out of the way
The US 10 has been great for the last 13 years, looks it's age but no leaks and nothing has dropped off it
https://kriega.com/sports/touring/bmwr1250gs
I use it to hold the bag on the rear rack but the loops can be moved to place the bag on the rear seat
Kriega stuff is tip-top quality and easy enough to fit and remove, once you've got the loops properly set up.

What is a total pain though is the roll-top closure mechanism, if you want regular access. I swapped to an Enduristan tail pack. Tough and totally waterproof and has zip access. Not so easy on the on/off front but I zip tied mine to the bike for just a tad more security.

I made it myself: bought a rough looking cheap topbox on this site, cut it down with a jig saw, drilled out a few pop rivets and removed the seal edge with a heat gun, relocated the lock to one side as the space between it and the mounting lock was so reduced, vinyl coated the whole thing inside and out and applied the tank transfers which were eye wateringly expensive.
Alan R
Well youv'e certainly done a great job, looks very neat and tidy. Well done, my enthusiasm would be greater than my fabrication limitations so it would up an expensive pigs ear for me.......

Thanks to all for the responses, some useful ideas to mull over and some i hadn't noticed were out there.

A Pelican Case, or alternative may be an option. A pal of mine has one bolted directly to the rack on his Africa Twin.

Alan R
I did the same with a tatty old aluminium box. The hardest part was getting the seal off the lower part of the box. Heat gun to soften the adhesive and some gentle persuasion. I posted a thread on here approx 5 years ago.

I just had a Q Bag Dakar delivered today, fits really nice on the gsa rack, not waterproof tho but only £25 delivered so worth a punt.
Stu

I just had a Q Bag Dakar delivered today, fits really nice on the gsa rack, not waterproof tho but only £25 delivered so worth a punt.
Stu
That's interesting and for the price good value. Are able to fasten it on the GSA rack without a lot of movement ?

That's interesting and for the price good value. Are able to fasten it on the GSA rack without a lot of movement ?
Yes, you can use the straps across the rack or lengthways. I've gone for the later, but added a cable tie underneath the rack out of sight, which goes around the strap so there is no chance of either strap slipping around the corner and of the side of the rack.
Not ridden the bike with the bag on yet, but will report back when i have.

Yes, you can use the straps across the rack or lengthways. I've gone for the later, but added a cable tie underneath the rack out of sight, which goes around the strap so there is no chance of either strap slipping around the corner and of the side of the rack.
Not ridden the bike with the bag on yet, but will report back when i have.
Thanks for that, that's a very good idea re the cable tie i can see me using that at some point in the future.

Back
Top Bottom