So which one next maybe the last one!

Roadrash Rider

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello guys and tossers

Been a while since spending much time on here, having spent a couple of months catching up with the forum nice to see so many old members still fit and well and still the odd dick still kicking about.

So just sold the Diavel 1260s and looking for my next and probably last bike (the keeper), having spent a couple of years away on the Ducati twins , I keep coming back to the boxer that I just love, not looking for the fastest rocket ship on the planet, and the taller GS and GSA are too high for my now.

So come spring I’m sort of torn between the R1250R or the new R12 nine t, I’m a big guy and still want a big but lower bike. Love the 1250 engine but I still think I love the 1200 twin cam more, time to do my homework, I know the old r nine t had its lovers and haters but never rode one, mileage has dropped from 9 to 12k a year to a max of 3k or 4K a year, so looking for the chill factor rather than the thrill factor, what ya think?

May I suggest the CT125 Hunter Cub Andy ....

i-gzZ8Nzc-L.jpg

It'll take you anywhere that any other 'bike will .... and it's future proof :thumby:

See you next week hopefully :beerjug:

Im with Micky on this , older riders tall or short downsize finally based on weight. The manoeuvrability of a bike coupled with getting on and off becomes a big decider. Maybe a jump to 125 is too much at the moment, but possibly something in the 350 to 800 cc Class. Still with 40 to 90 bhp but with 2/3 rds the weight of boxers which will make every one of those 3/4k miles rewarding and enjoyable.

Just my 2 p

Im with Micky on this , older riders tall or short downsize finally based on weight. The manoeuvrability of a bike coupled with getting on and off becomes a big decider. Maybe not a 125 but maybe something in the 350 to 800 cc Class. Still with 40 to 90 bhp but with 2/3 rds the weight of boxers which will make every one of those 3/4k miles rewarding and enjoyable.

Just my 2 p

Tenere 700 is a nice middleweight option
2/3’s of the weight of a boxer
74 HP
Nimble and riding position is comfy, not cramped

Last edited:
my two penneth...

Vital info missing.... What do you want it for?

A bit of touring? Luggage? Mainly solo or pillion? Sunday morning blasts?

I liked the r mine t, but couldn't see what I would use it for... No luggage capacity, not much in terms of weather protection, great Sunday morning back road bike, but I wouldn't want to do a 200 mile fast road / motorway journey....

I think we need to understand your usage profile... IMO...

The new Stelvio could be an option too maybe? Or something from Triumph?

Out of the bikes you mention, my personal opinion would be the 1250R is a lot better and far more comfortable than the R9T

Having said that, with the automatic suspension lowering on the new GS, which is already lower and lighter than the old one, it is now far more accessible for shorter/older riders

might be worth a try if it suits your tastes and budget

Out of the bikes you mention, my personal opinion would be the 1250R is a lot better and far more comfortable than the R9T

Having said that, with the automatic suspension lowering on the new GS, which is already lower and lighter than the old one, it is now far more accessible for shorter/older riders

might be worth a try if it suits your tastes and budget
Don't they have the automatic suspension lowering as an option on the 1250R as well?

Don't they have the automatic suspension lowering as an option on the 1250R as well?

no, it’s brand new on the 1300 GS, also helps you put it on the center stand

I can flat foot the new GS easily in the high position with a 32” inside leg, when the suspension lowers it’s like swinging your leg over a roadster (y)

look at 11:20

Last edited:
I keep harking back to the R80GS, it is lighter than a Tenere 700, got a comfy flat seat, single and extra rack, or pillion version if needed. Very nimble, low slung weight, simple to maintain, perfectly capable, less ubiquitous than the modern, must haves and not losing a penny in depreciation. You might prefer the 100 version but there is little in it. You would also have £15,000 or more left to spend on trips.

Several R100GSPD for sale here and in Germany, Italy, Spain.

As above it's not an option, but you can get different seat heights, the low OE seat at 760mm is 60mm lower than the 820mm standard one but there's also other manufacturers offerings that are in between the 2. This thread from the RS section might be of interest (y)

I keep harking back to the R80GS, it is lighter than a Tenere 700, got a comfy flat seat, single and extra rack, or pillion version if needed. Very nimble, low slung weight, simple to maintain, perfectly capable, less ubiquitous than the modern, must haves and not losing a penny in depreciation. You might prefer the 100 version but there is little in it. You would also have £15,000 or more left to spend on trips.

Several R100GSPD for sale here and in Germany, Italy, Spain.

But it’s old and they need constant fettling or expensive rebuilds & more importantly in terms of chassis, power and braking don’t hold a candle to any 2023 new bike on sale today
Even a Himalayan will outperform most airhead GS
With Airhead GS fetching between £5000-£15000 it’s out of most people’s budgets as there is no PCP finance available

I had a RnineT for the day while mine was in for a service (it was the first really naked bike I have ridden) and a lap of Loch Lomond was not enjoyable. There was zero wind/ weather protection, saddle was slippery and I felt like I was wrestling with a giant beach ball for riding position.

As other have said, the OPs intended use would be key to the right new bike.

Back
Top Bottom