Trying a new thing maybe..Trials?

Just a day out green laning makes me ache. I expect trials will make me wish I was fit
Definitely . 10 yrs ago I went to watch a fellow inmate on here , who’d recently bought a trials bike , to watch him doing some trials practice . He’s a reasonably experienced Offroad rider and liked to do some MTBing and much fitter than I . He was having to work very hard and you could see how much effort is involved if you are not experienced. I fancied it because it seemed like something you could just go and do for a couple of hours , whereas I don’t get my big bike out unless I’m going to go out all day . However it’s a lot easier to pop out and do some riding if you have a van……. I don’t . Do you ?

Looks very nice, but where’s the seat ?

The Yamaha comes from an era when they still just about had them, if you can call the yellow foam…. a ‘seat’
7dbff4e728a5230c3b510751a0f799da.jpg

The Honda on the other hand….10 years newer in design, doesn’t have a any notion of a Seat - just a mudguard where a seat would normally reside
e2c2a5a6ab55cc77ef4c6f62728ee8a0.jpg

Note that both have flanged rear rims and thus have proper Tubeless tyres, even as early as the 1990’s

Last edited:
Definitely . 10 yrs ago I went to watch a fellow inmate on here , who’d recently bought a trials bike , to watch him doing some trials practice . He’s a reasonably experienced Offroad rider and liked to do some MTBing and much fitter than I . He was having to work very hard and you could see how much effort is involved if you are not experienced. I fancied it because it seemed like something you could just go and do for a couple of hours , whereas I don’t get my big bike out unless I’m going to go out all day . However it’s a lot easier to pop out and do some riding if you have a van……. I don’t .

Do you ?

He does have a lovely van (as do I)
Trailers are ok too
Nothing better in winter than chucking a trials bike in the van for a couple of hours at a trials ground or actual Trial
2-3 hours riding & messing about
Home in van with heater on full blast
No nasty salt to attack that bike’s alloy either

Feck me, I can waffle
Aren’t we all? Some better than others I know of a soul in the Early morning thread, that can go on an on and on an on and on…. 😂 not a bad thing, but pita to read, especially if you are not in the mood to delve right into it.

No idea about trials bikes, but hoping you can get something suitable as a replacement for the Norden.

I found Trials riding great fun (limited experience) and alot harder than it looks but certainly improves your skills. Some of the expert stuff when you see it in person looks impossible and an eye opener how the top guys can do it. I just enjoyed the days I had riding messing around which is what its all about.

Johnny Boxer has been into trials as long as I can remember so offers good real world experience and knowledge .

Thanks Mike
That day at John Luckett’s place near Bude was a good laugh and you rode my Honda too

Thanks Mike
That day at John Luckett’s place near Bude was a good laugh and you rode my Honda too
That was great fun wasnt it and the Honda was very nice indeed! I think we all had a really good time and loads of laughs plus nice weather.

That was great fun wasnt it and the Honda was very nice indeed!

I think we all had a really good time and loads of laughs plus nice weather.

Great memories
Just sat around chatting and then taking a bike out for a spin for 20 mins, in the woods and then just sitting in the sun chatting again, whilst somebody else had a turn on a bike
Happy days

There used to be a chappy near Leek who would provide guidence and a bike for not much dosh. Try before yer buy,/ smash your own up, learning without knowledge of the simple basics.
Good luck and keep post photos of yer bruises and grazes
That’s Stu Day. Top bloke. I once did a morning with him and an afternoon with Mick Extance. First time trials or enduro. They were both brilliant. I was feckin’ hopeless 🤣

I used to do a lot of trials riding in my younger days.
All the areas i used to ride either started charging too much or closed.
The sneaky free areas received complaints and although i was being responsible i did get a visit from the police a couple of times.
I just got a talking too and to be honest the police were pretty understanding.
But i sold the gas gas i had at that time and never went back to it. 😔

I must admit though that the electric bikes have got my attention, being totally silent i could sneak around without pissing people off 😁

I used to do a lot of trials riding in my younger days.
All the areas i used to ride either started charging too much or closed.
The sneaky free areas received complaints and although i was being responsible i did get a visit from the police a couple of times.
I just got a talking too and to be honest the police were pretty understanding.
But i sold the gas gas i had at that time and never went back to it. 😔

I must admit though that the electric bikes have got my attention, being totally silent i could sneak around without pissing people off 😁
Burn the heretic! :D

the 300 is a beast and really isn't a beginners bike at all id defiantly not recommend one especially if your not verycompentant at trail riding. a 200 would be far more suitable

the 300 is a beast and really isn't a beginners bike at all id defiantly not recommend one especially if your not verycompentant at trail riding. a 200 would be far more suitable
Not sure if I’m nearly competent but I guess it’s relative. Riding friends are good..top 2 rider in SeniorsCambrian and Ryedale, a Police off road rider and quick Rallymoto events rider on a Tenere. Comparatively I’m at the back of the group but I’ve ridden the Taffy Dakar and Cambrian plus a couple of LDT’s. Comparatively I’m rubbish though biggest problem is confidence, particularly front end grip.
Listening to advice on here I think it’s best to do a try it out day and see what suits me with the aim to get a new hobby and improve my confidence / skill level for green laning. Think I’ll hold off buying now the initial excitement has waned and wait till I’ve tried a few first. Much obliged all for inputs

Used to do quite a bit of trials riding 40+ years ago, great fun.

26A81C99-7C02-405F-85B6-F83EEA52DBDD.jpeg

JB - You've made me wonder about the difference between a 4T and a 2T for trials. Both your bikes are 250s, in what conditions would you prefer one to the other, and why?

TIA.

So is Trials fun? And will a 300 2t kill me?
Yes, and yes. The only people I know with 300 trials bikes are Expert level riders (I'm lower end of clubman level) or scared shitless.
Yep, hear you. It’s that this one is local, a good price (to me) and hasn’t been lobbed over rocks oop North. It's got a known history from Stan Stephen’s family and well fettled. Can always fit a soft throttle n stuff plus as Paul says if it’s too much bike I won’t lose on it. All the 250’s nearby seem a lot more ‘used’
All well and good, but a well "used" trials bike is just that. Concours d'elegance winners aren't ridden, they are looked at.
Definitely . 10 yrs ago I went to watch a fellow inmate on here , who’d recently bought a trials bike , to watch him doing some trials practice . He’s a reasonably experienced Offroad rider and liked to do some MTBing and much fitter than I . He was having to work very hard and you could see how much effort is involved if you are not experienced. I fancied it because it seemed like something you could just go and do for a couple of hours , whereas I don’t get my big bike out unless I’m going to go out all day . However it’s a lot easier to pop out and do some riding if you have a van……. I don’t . Do you ?
Who dat den? :ROFLMAO:
Wot he said.
Mark

JB - You've made me wonder about the difference between a 4T and a 2T for trials. Both your bikes are 250s, in what conditions would you prefer one to the other, and why?

TIA.
Well Paul
The Yamaha is a 1990's bike, so 30 years old and not as svelte as the modern Beta in post#1 and weighs a bit more
However the same Yamaha engine was used up until 2010/11 in the Scorpa, so the engine is great with a big flywheel and loads of grunt/torque and will pull from tickover, whilst finding grip in mud or rocks
The TYZ induction roar, is like no other trials bike and it's seductive
I guess it's favourite terrain is rocky stream gullies and big climbs, it's a bit wide for nadgery, tight going and although 30 years old, they still ride TYZ's in the Scottish, even up to present day, last year (there were 2 in an entry of over 250)
Suspension is excellent, even compared to today's bikes and it's only 5 kg heavier than the Honda and weighs in at 79kg
I love riding it, although I have upgraded the rear shock to an Ohlins and fitted a better front AJP caliper, to the front brake
Forks are stock and are air/oil
The Montesa/Honda 4RT is altogether a different beast, mine's a 2007/8 250cc, but the bike is virtually unchanged barring a 260cc and 300cc engine in today's bikes and slight variation to suspension brands
It's a beautiful bike to own, quality build etc and is pretty trick in components/technology - efi and no battery etc
However it's not easy to ride in mud and it takes a 'committed' technique to ride them and will easily 'spin out' on muddy climbs, plenty of revs and burn through stuff, but it's not easy to master to get on with
I can't get the best out of it, as i don't ride it enough to learn/master it - I guess again it's happy in streams and rocks, where I find it easiest to ride, as the suspension is one of the best, on any Trials bike
I do get better results on the Yam 2t though, as it's easiest to ride for me...........but I wouldn't sell the 4RT as I have had it from nearly new and it's ace

Last edited:
Well Paul
The Yamaha is a 1990's bike, so 30 years old and not as svelte as the modern Beta in post#1 and weighs a bit more
However the same Yamaha engine was used up until 2010/11 in the Scorpa, so the engine is great with a big flywheel and loads of grunt/torque and will pull from tickover, whilst finding grip in mud or rocks
The TYZ induction roar, is like no other trials bike and it's seductive
I guess it's favourite terrain is rocky stream gullies and big climbs, it's a bit wide for nadgery, tight going and although 30 years old, they still ride TYZ's in the Scottish, even up to present day, last year (there were 2 in an entry of over 250)
Suspension is excellent, even compared to today's bikes and it's only 5 kg heavier than the Honda and weighs in at 79kg
I love riding it, although I have upgraded the rear shock to an Ohlins and fitted a better front AJP caliper, to the front brake
Forks are stock and are air/oil
The Montesa/Honda 4RT is altogether a different beast, mine's a 2007/8 250cc, but the bike is virtually unchanged barring a 260cc and 300cc engine in today's bikes and slight variation to suspension brands
It's a beautiful bike to own, quality build etc and is pretty trick in components/technology - efi and no battery etc
However it's not easy to ride in mud and it takes a 'committed' technique to ride them and will easily 'spin out' on muddy climbs, plenty of revs and burn through stuff, but it's not easy to master to get on with
I can't get the best out of it, as i don't ride it enough to learn/master it - I guess again it's happy in streams and rocks, where I find it easiest to ride, as the suspension is one of the best, on any Trials bike
I do get better results on the Yam 2t though, as it's easiest to ride for me...........but I wouldn't sell the 4RT as I have had it from nearly new and it's ace
Thanks JB, that's really interesting.

Back
Top Bottom