Stelvio pass

Tyddewi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What's the most direct route to the above please? Any thoughts starting at Calais

This would do it.
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=calais&daddr=49.2642446,7.3141432+to:stelvio&hl=en&geocode=FXp0CQMdflwcAClj4_HXdT_cRzH0edKM4Nm-rA%3BFXS27wId35pvACklIH26N9CVRzHGIg4JLhufgQ%3BFf8IxwIdDvCgACnpYk4gRRyDRzHANZEVhwkHBA&aq=&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.335749,45.131836&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&t=m&via=1&z=6&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=calais&daddr=49.2642446,7.3141432+to:stelvio&hl=en&geocode=FXp0CQMdflwcAClj4_HXdT_cRzH0edKM4Nm-rA%3BFXS27wId35pvACklIH26N9CVRzHGIg4JLhufgQ%3BFf8IxwIdDvCgACnpYk4gRRyDRzHANZEVhwkHBA&aq=&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.335749,45.131836&mra=ls&ie=UTF8&t=m&via=1&z=6" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

But why on earth you'd want to do it is another question:nenau
Its not that great on a bike.

What's the most direct route to the above please? Any thoughts starting at Calais

Why not head towards Stuttgart, finding somewhere on route for a stop over .. then down to Garmisch. The Stelvio is a few hours ride from Garmisch.

;)

Edit: Stolzy's beat me to it

Is this one of those "tick in the box" rides. If it is enjoy but if not you are going to bypass some fantastic roads and passes for what IMHO is an overrated series of sweep back bends.

Agree with Wapping, it's not that hard draw a line and keep going along the closest motorway to it.

I wouldn't be upset if I never ride the Stelvio ever again, not the greatest of roads in reality

I wouldn't be upset if I never ride the Stelvio ever again, not the greatest of roads in reality

But you have the luxury of the experience of riding the Stelvio, the OP hasn't. I've been there a number of times and it no longer sits at the top of the list either but I would still encourage the experience for the first timer.

But you have the luxury of the experience of riding the Stelvio, the OP hasn't. I've been there a number of times and it no longer sits at the top of the list either but I would still encourage the experience for the first timer.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with a bit of box ticking its how you work out what you really want to do. Then it's how the f**k do I afford or justify it.

I'd like to do the stella and every one says it ain't that good if your a accomplished off roader. Still going to do it though (hopefully)

Did the elephant (wrong spelling I know)
This year it wasn't half the experience of doing the stelvio first time. Hay ho where next I go.........,

I'm off to the Stelvio pass in June. there's three of us going on our Guzzi Stelvios, would like a photo of the bikes under the sign at the top. I did the pass a few years ago on my Tiger 1050, going this time for the photo is just an excuse for another trip.

Our route is Hull Zeebrugge, Boppard in rhine valley via nurburgring.
Rothenburg ob de tauber, Dachau, Kitzbuhel, then over the Grossglockner and Plocken passes into the Dolomites. Two nights in Forni de Sopra bagging passes in the area, then across to Nova Ponente, then two nights at Riva lake garda. We then head over to Bormio for a night, then Stelvio and Timmelsjoch passes for a night in Seefeld.
We leave Seefeld for Seebach in Black forest, then up to Monschau for last night before going to Zeebrugge for ferry home.

I hope the rain stays away for the two weeks...fat chance :)

Our route is Hull Zeebrugge, Boppard in rhine valley via nurburgring.
Rothenburg ob de tauber, Dachau, Kitzbuhel, then over the Grossglockner and Plocken passes into the Dolomites. Two nights in Forni de Sopra bagging passes in the area, then across to Nova Ponente, then two nights at Riva lake garda. We then head over to Bormio for a night, then Stelvio and Timmelsjoch passes for a night in Seefeld.
We leave Seefeld for Seebach in Black forest, then up to Monschau for last night before going to Zeebrugge for ferry home.

:likeit

Just got back today, 2700mls round trip, the bike was faultless, gave regularly over 50mpg.

Back
Top Bottom