Suit down - Rallye 2 Pro - can we fixit

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So during the Tripple hard event at Strontian this year, it became evident that my go to jacket Rallye 2 Pro, was dying.

Undoing the press studs on the over flap, would reveal that the zip had not remained meshed from the lower lock box, upwards

which resulted in a lop sided Houdiniesque shimmy to undo the zip

You tube was my friend, and gave a quick fix using pliers to crimp the zip buckle closed

Winner winner, but only short term, the death sentence had been issued , and the clock was ticking ...

Last Thursday it became evident it was terminal, and i was now in a quandary

Strip the jacket to a Gillet, and drop it into a local repair place, or use one of the the aforementioned UKGSER recommended repair facilities.

Either way i was going to be without my jacket for at least a week

I made plans to drop it into a local repair place, on Saturday morning, but before doing so a final search on YT gave me an idea :D

The zip was fine, no missing or damaged teeth, only the zipper slider was at fault ...

Looking at the slider i had the model / type number 5C

5 is the zip size, and the C indicates it's for a coil type zip

Ebay and Amazon has plenty of sellers, i could get one next day ...

But i couldn't replace the zip, so either way it had to go to a repair shop .... or did it.

A quick YT search showed slider replacement was easy, and i mean easy!!! even a blind ham fisted dwarf like me could do it ...

Well on Sunday, possibly if i could get a delivery that quick... if only i had a 5C slider anywhere ....

Oh FFS, ive got loads of old jackets and trousers and trousers in the back room ..... EUREKA!!!!!!!

First up Rukka trousers - bugger, they use weird zips and the numbers make no sense

RST trousers - nope nothing suitable

BMW Dryjacket - Hmm, one possible, but it would mean potentially robbing Peter to pay Paul - lets leave it for the moment

Frank Thomas jacket - Nothing bugger, oh hang on, whats that on the shorty jacket to trews zip

5C!!!!!! yes yes yes

A quick snip with the scissors and i had it, my precious :D

Now for the tricky bit, the upper lock stop on the 2 Pro jacket is a crimp type lock, and being so small is probably made of cheeseium,

Never mind i had plan B, a needle and some heavy duty cotton if the crimp failed its transplant

The so donning my removal tech i was ready

2 x pairs of 2.5 reading glasses - oh yes instant macrovision , and a pair of nail clippers i went to work

Surprisingly enough, the crimp stop offered no resistance and was off in a matter of a minute or so. It even withstood a straightening session with my needle nose pliers

Sliding the zip on was a bit tough, the verry upper section of the zip has thicker material, so it took some persuading and compressing of the fabric to get the slider to pass over the layers of fabric

(Zip and jacket) , but eventually it was on...

Now logic says try the zip before you refit the lock crimp, and for once i played ball

SUCCESS !!!! it zipped up. Yay!!! albeit with out a svelte dwarf inside it lol

Refitting the upper stop was fiddly, as you had to try and poke the bloody thing through fresh material , but eventually it went through. re crimping it offered no resistance, and didnt fall apart !

Moment of truth, all sleeves, liners gubbins and me refitted....

YES YES YES, IT LIVES.

ZF1.jpgLock stop 1.jpgUpper stop.jpgFinished.jpg

Back
Top Bottom