tell me about your V85tt ownership

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm having a test ride on a V85TT next week, and have been offered a good part exchange on my T120 Bonneville. I'd be interested in owners opinions of their V85 an in particular any problems encountered. I've had two Stelvios in the past which I loved, but found them to be on the heavy side, and a touch tall. I know the V85 dry weight is about 40kg lighter and seat height slightly less. I've sat on a V85 and can just about flat foot it.
This is the one I've fell for......moto guzzi V85TT evocative.jpg

Very pleasant. That’s my description of a V85TT. I’ve had mine since October last year and have done just a shade under 2000 miles now.
Very comfortable, good useable acceleration and overall, very pleasant.
Handles well for what it is with quite a traditional (old fashioned?) feel compared to bikes like the 700 Tenere and Moto Morini 650 (my mate has one of those). That’s a positive thing in my opinion.
A great looking bike too, well I think so anyway.

If mine got destroyed or stolen I’d have no hesitation in replacing it with another.

The circlip fell off of the near side pillion footrest but I noticed before the rest of the parts made a bid for freedom.
It’s being replaced under warranty.

Came to mine from a 1200gs and hated it for The first half hour of the test ride. Then it grew on me and I’ve enjoyed it ever since. Not massive horse power but good torque lower down and it’s very usable.
If you want to make progress you have to work a bit harder but it handles very well.

12,000 miles in I’ve not encountered any significant mechanical issues and when I did dump it on black ice I managed to get the bits without too much trouble.

No real moans other than the heated grips which are quite weak so if you do have to fit your own go aftermarket. Overall I like the bike and will keep for the forseeable.

Lovely colour that.

I love mine, its quirky and non bike people comment on it which is a rarity.

if you work it hard it flies too.....

Recalls were a pain as spares availability poor at time.

Overall its a big tick from me

tempImageKCf1NP.jpg

I've had 4 of them (long story) so I clearly like them. A great all-round bike with adequate performance and secure handling, plus they look great, in certain colours. My first one had a clutch problem, which is an engine out job to replace the clutch. Fair play to Teasdales at Thirsk. They picked the bike up and had it back to me within 17 days. I had no other problems with any of them. Whilst the performance is adequate, that's all it is and I did find it lacking on occasion. I did want to keep my V85 when I purchased the V100 but I'd just put my money into a motor home which left me a bit strapped so the V85 had to go in P/ex. If the put the V100 motor into the V85 frame, for me it would be the perfect bike. Lets see what the new Stelvio looks like. Would I have another V85? Definately. Start pushing them a little and they become very thirsty.

Just sent you a PM, Al. Been very happy with mine.
Great bike. I bought mine off a chap on this forum. I've since had it for almost 2 years, and about 11k miles (it's on about 22k miles now I think).
Doddle to maintain. Build quality looks good (mine has been ridden in winter a few times, but well-coated in ACF). Handling is good at lower speeds but don't try chasing sports bikes (or GS's) at 80 mph! It's a delight for bimbling around smaller lanes in the Lakes and N Yorks, just enjoying the views. It's also comfy - no problems on longer journeys, and tank range is good too (over 200 miles). Like many ADV-style bikes, the wind protection isn't ideal, I have tried 3 screens, and use the smaller OEM sportys screen most of the time, but a GIVI barn-door in winter was useful...
Hope you enjoy the test ride!

Based on a single test drive a couple of years ago, it's a great bike and I still have a hankering for one. Let us know how you get on Al. :thumb2

Great characterful bike Al, I bought my Guardia D'Onore from Jim Allan's in Falkirk (only Scottish guzzi dealer) in February after a test ride. Its one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever had, it has plenty of real world power and torque is low down. Handles like a dream on the twisty roads and will cruise all day (cruise control) on the motorway.

It is a Guzzi so it's got the Italian- esque fiddly controls which sometimes make no sense, adds the the character for me

The Travel and GDO are well specced, if you go for the standard model, get a centre stand fitted by dealer as its supposed to be a bitch to fit, aux lights are great, heated grips expensive and not great, the Givi Outback Trekker luggage works well on the V85TT.

Bought mine new a year ago and as a second bike I haven't used it that much (about 3k miles). Due to that, I'll probably sell it in the near future.

It's very comfortable and a relaxing bike to ride, with plenty of character. As others have said, some of the controls are quirky but everything works as intended. I even find the factory heated grips to be ok.

The main improvement I'd like is just a little more grunt for effortless overtaking.

I like all this positivity. I'm not too bothered about absolute power and razzing about these days, hence the T120 and the 650 Interceptor in my garage. So long as the bike is comfortable, reliable and handles OK and can easily keep up with traffic. I avoid motorways as much as possible so 80mph+ cruising is irrelevant to me.
I reckon this Guzzi will fit in well with my RE. Have you still got your 650 Interceptor Jazzbee?

I like all this positivity. I'm not too bothered about absolute power and razzing about these days, hence the T120 and the 650 Interceptor in my garage. So long as the bike is comfortable, reliable and handles OK and can easily keep up with traffic. I avoid motorways as much as possible so 80mph+ cruising is irrelevant to me.
I reckon this Guzzi will fit in well with my RE. Have you still got your 650 Interceptor Jazzbee?
Yes Al, was thinking about selling the Inty but I love it, wife wants a small motorhome though so it may go v85tt and the Interceptor are a very good combination for the more 'mature' and experienced rider with no Razzing left in the tank the Guzzi is absolutely powerful enough for everything you need to do, touring or short expeditions .... you like you Inty, you will like the guzzi

I think a factor that people are almost afraid to talk about is the “ look back at it” thing.

Some bikes when you get off, you want to look back at it , purely because it’s a pretty thing.

The R9T suffers a lot with folk banging on about the suspension etc, for most riders it’s fine and has the ability to make you look back at your bike when you get off.

Your v85 will certainly have this, especially in that lovely colour.

I guarantee you’ll ride it, get off, walk to cafe, and look back thinking,

“ blimey that beautiful quirky bike is mine”

They elicit reactions from non bikers too, usually a good sign.

Hope you like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moved on from a R1150GS which was getting too heavy to move around. The V85TT isn't much lighter but the weight is better distributed. Handling is great on the twisty roads that I mostly ride. Cruise control excellent for motorways. Keep to the speed limits and there is more that enough power to spare for overtaking.
In clear air the screen is good up to 70mph, no helmet buffeting.
Seat takes about 2000 miles to break in, then good for all day ride.
Oxford heated grips are a pain to fit but integrate well.
Fuel consumption is high 50/60, range is 250 plus, but less with motorway use.
Brakes very good.
Can use oil, less that the BMW.
Servicing is an overnight with dealer and only the dealer can reset the service indicator.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

That's a pisser about the service light. On my Stelvio I could reset it myself by using the on board computer doodah (I'm not very technical) :D
My local independent bike shop has some diagnostic set up that allows him to access most brands of motorcycle, I'll have to check with him. I'll use the main dealer for servicing because of warranty implications, but I'll do my own service work once the warranty is up and hopefully slip my local guy a few quid for turning off the service light.

That's a pisser about the service light. On my Stelvio I could reset it myself by using the on board computer doodah (I'm not very technical) :D
My local independent bike shop has some diagnostic set up that allows him to access most brands of motorcycle, I'll have to check with him. I'll use the main dealer for servicing because of warranty implications, but I'll do my own service work once the warranty is up and hopefully slip my local guy a few quid for turning off the service light.
Yes, only bike I've come across that no one has found a way to turn off the service light. I timed my first service (930 miles / 1500klm) so the light would come on 10 miles from the dealers who are 100 miles from where I live
It's a small spanner though and people tend to ignore it till service time. First service was £250 in total and included a software update for the ECU. Now up around 1500 miles, no issues whatsoever, it's getting better now as it's run in..... mid 50's mpg, and this will improve as it loosens up I reckon.
It will be as easy to service as the Interceptor is Al, once the warranty is up

I sat on one a few weeks ago. I had just been sitting on a Mandello, which I liked, but the v85TT in comparison felt really substantial and it seemed like a bike that you could just settle into for a full day's ride.

Obviously we're all different shapes (5' 11" with long back) but for me the ergonomics were spot on. I think it would be a really relaxing ride.

Just got back from the test ride. The bike fitted me like a glove. The riding position for me was spot on. I found the clutch reasonably light which is important for me as I have reduced grip in my left hand and I can toil in heavy stop start traffic. The bike was certainly fast enough and I found plenty of shove when in 4th gear to overtake slower traffic. The engine was torquier than I expected, the demo bike had 8,700 miles on the clock so was loosening up nicely.
I was aware of vibrations at times but it wasn't particularly intrusive and I enjoyed it, the mirrors weren't too badly affected by it. The fastest speed I attained was about 85mph whilst overtaking some cars (on a private road obviously) but for the most part I stayed(ish) within the speed limits and was rewarded with an average of 62mpg for the two hour trip The handling was so much better than my T120 which I find slow to turn in unless consciously counter steering. I found the Guzzi easier to ride on the twisty bumpy roads, the suspension was supple absorbing the bumps well ( I've no idea what setting it was on).
The V85tt more than lived up to my expectations, and confirmed many of the positive qualities mentioned by several owners. I'm actually struggling to finding something negative about it, OK maybe the digital dashboard/instrument console is a bit too Hi Tech for a luddite like me.
I've accepted a deal which includes delivery and a free set of panniers, and they're fitting a centre stand, engine bars and heated grips, and it's going to be a sexy blue and white bike with the red frame. Delivery expected in a few weeks.......happy days.

Did you look back when you got off it.........:D

Good decision, great bikes.

Back
Top Bottom