Thinking of downsizing

shaunandco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Im currently in a quandary as to whether to downsize my GS1200 and get something smaller for some more adventurous green laning. I know that the gs is reasonably capable on green lanes but I'm thinking something smaller and lighter to throw around a bit more and, due to the new addition to the family, I don't see me doing any two up touring in the next few years so don't need that aspect of the gs any more. So, to my question, have any of you downsized or have you kept the gs as well and if so have you regretted it? thanks

Ive never used any of the big adventure bikes for the lanes as in my opinion they are too big , heavy and expensive if you damage them which you will . Sure there are some that do and enjoy it but for me a lighter bike, easy to pick up and fairly cheap replacement parts are the key. Ive now got a KTM1290 R which has never seen dirt as its my road bike. For the lanes I bought a 350EXC F which I soon got fed up with constant oil and filter changes but it was a superb bike.

Replaced that with an older Beta 450 RR which is superb for the lanes but not great on the road. The Tenere 700 seems to be the most popular lighter weight ADV bike at the moment and masses on the market at sensible money. Easy to load up when needed for longer Adventures and a huge amount of add on parts if needed. One thing I did find with the 660 I had was loaded it lacked the grunt and comfortable cruising speeds for longer trips plus quite thirsty.

Im sure there be someone along soon has more experience of the new 700 and be able to offer a proper real world review with pros and cons. At the end of the day you can always get another big bike if it doesnt work for you of course.

Ive never used any of the big adventure bikes for the lanes as in my opinion they are too big , heavy and expensive if you damage them which you will . Sure there are some that do and enjoy it but for me a lighter bike, easy to pick up and fairly cheap replacement parts are the key. Ive now got a KTM1290 R which has never seen dirt as its my road bike. For the lanes I bought a 350EXC F which I soon got fed up with constant oil and filter changes but it was a superb bike.

Replaced that with an older Beta 450 RR which is superb for the lanes but not great on the road. The Tenere 700 seems to be the most popular lighter weight ADV bike at the moment and masses on the market at sensible money. Easy to load up when needed for longer Adventures and a huge amount of add on parts if needed. One thing I did find with the 660 I had was loaded it lacked the grunt and comfortable cruising speeds for longer trips plus quite thirsty.

Im sure there be someone along soon has more experience of the new 700 and be able to offer a proper real world review with pros and cons. At the end of the day you can always get another big bike if it doesnt work for you of course
I agree that i never really want to push the gs to much off road as picking it up is a pain especially if you're a bit winded! Im not really that bothered about using it on the road apart from travelling to and from lanes so would probably be looking at something smaller than the tenere- possibly 400-600 or maybe even a 250 2 stroke, although that could be just to bring back memories from a lot of years ago!

You are a bit vague on your questions,
How far do you think you will ride on tarmac to get to your lanes ,etc etc
If you want a bike with good road manners capable of decent miles the 1200 is not a bad bike,just put decent tyres on it and stay off gnarly stuff.
For more serious off road stuff,weight is your number 1 problem.
Nearly all of the “ middle weight” stuff is nearly as heavy as a mk1 1200 anyway.
@200 kg.
Cheap 250/300 are @ 150 /160 kg(with obvious downsides with regards to longer road distances)
Ktm/husky 690/701 are a good compromise,but no comfort to be found there,
X country/challenge are a really good balance of weight/ performance but out of production since 2007 .
Serteo is a good compromise,starting to get heavier though.
If you are over 6ft,and have a reasonable budget ,I’d take a good look a kove 450

I agree that i never really want to push the gs to much off road as picking it up is a pain especially if you're a bit winded! Im not really that bothered about using it on the road apart from travelling to and from lanes so would probably be looking at something smaller than the tenere- possibly 400-600 or maybe even a 250 2 stroke, although that could be just to bring back memories from a lot of years ago!
You posted as I was typing.
How much do you want to spend.?
I’d stay well away from 2 strokes unless you want grief from walkers

You are a bit vague on your questions,
How far do you think you will ride on tarmac to get to your lanes ,etc etc
If you want a bike with good road manners capable of decent miles the 1200 is not a bad bike,just put decent tyres on it and stay off gnarly stuff.
For more serious off road stuff,weight is your number 1 problem.
Nearly all of the “ middle weight” stuff is nearly as heavy as a mk1 1200 anyway.
@200 kg.
Cheap 250/300 are @ 150 /160 kg(with obvious downsides with regards to longer road distances)
Ktm/husky 690/701 are a good compromise,but no comfort to be found there,
X country/challenge are a really good balance of weight/ performance but out of production since 2007 .
Serteo is a good compromise,starting to get heavier though.
If you are over 6ft,and have a reasonable budget ,I’d take a good look a kove 450
I doubt id do 100 miles on tarmac or id just chuck it in the van. Im keen to do some of the gnarly stuff- I found some interesting looking tracks in the pyrenees this year but didn't have the confidence to take the gs up them alone as picking it up a couple of times is ok but after that it gets a bit heavy and costly. I also live in yorkshire so there are plenty of lanes on the doorstep and to be fair, with the amount of cameras on the road now, speed is far less important to me than it used to be.

You posted as I was typing.
How much do you want to spend.?
I’d stay well away from 2 strokes unless you want grief from walkers
fair point about the 2 strokes- It'll be over 25 years since i last rode one so there may be a bit of rose tinted spectacles! As for budget, Its either sell the gs and use the money from that or look at the real cheap end of the market and keep the gs.

fair point about the 2 strokes- It'll be over 25 years since i last rode one so there may be a bit of rose tinted spectacles! As for budget, Its either sell the gs and use the money from that or look at the real cheap end of the market and keep the gs.
Just my opinion,
At the lower budget.
A DR 350 and spend a bit sorting it.
Mebbs a 450 ktm ,if you want more power,loose any racey decals and dumb it down.
Mid range,
Crf 300 rally spend on suspension.(still a bit low powered tho)
Kitted 500 Honda cb500x(getting heavy)
Proper kit.
500 ktm/husky. With mods.
Or just buy an airhead Gs .

Just my opinion,
At the lower budget.
A DR 350 and spend a bit sorting it.
Mebbs a 450 ktm ,if you want more power,loose any racey decals and dumb it down.
Mid range,
Crf 300 rally spend on suspension.(still a bit low powered tho)
Kitted 500 Honda cb500x(getting heavy)
Proper kit.
500 ktm/husky. With mods.
Or just buy an airhead Gs .
Thanks- bit of food for thought

Not a brand i have ever heard of to be honest- ill have to do some digging. Thanks for the idea

This chap has done several videos on the Kove.

I saw it at The Lightweight Adventurers Festival back in the ‘summer’ and it was very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you thought about a G310GS Shaun
I downsized from a 1200GS and love it.
IMG_6405.JPG

Back
Top Bottom