Tunnels or Pass

I'm planning a summer route coming north in the French Alps and looking to get towards Andermatt.

It looks as though I have 3 options:

• Mont Blanc tunnel
  • Grand St Bernard tunnel
  • St Bernard pass

I know the last option should be the way to go, but not having done either of the tunnels would I be missing anything?

Ride the pass!

Having said that I can't quite understand how either of these tunnels or the pass comes into play when you're aiming to get to Andermatt.

I always thought the pass in the opening of The italian Job was the Petit St Bernard. "On days like these when skies are blue..."

I also went over the Petit St Bernard en route to Andermatt a few years ago. Seemed like as good a route as any when riding to a schedule.

I always thought the pass in the opening of The italian Job was the Petit St Bernard. "On days like these when skies are blue..."

I also went over the Petit St Bernard en route to Andermatt a few years ago. Seemed like as good a route as any when riding to a schedule.

Best info I can find on the subject:

"The first shot of the film is of the bridge at the southern end of the St. Bernard valley, north of Aosta: The bridge that serves the new toll road that goes through the mountain. Successive shots are of the
Miura working its way up the old road in the St. Bernard valley towards the Great St. Bernard pass. Then the Miura comes down the same road (but higher up) and clearly passes a no. 32 mileage marker.
Filming is then continued on another road - the road to La Thuile, south of Courmayeur, where the Miura crashes in the tunnel. This tunnel has since been extended with a gallery.

Back
Top Bottom