Will I Be Able To Wild Camp?

JayC

Reaction score
Dilemma:

My pre-booked holiday plans are closing in fast, and yet until very recently I had decided to reluctantly call it all off for financial reasons.

I still have the ET booked for departure at Dover in a fortnights time for the simple reason that no refund was on the table due to the configuration of my bookings at the time.

So, as the dep date has been drawing ever closer I have been constantly thinking of how much I will regret not getting away this year and have been racking my nogging how to afford this years Alps route on a ridiculously scavenging budget!

The one constant that is unavoidable is fuel costs. My original plans would have covered some 2,500 - 3,000 miles but I fear this will need to be severely modified. I have worked on an average of 40mpg on a solo 1200GS with luggage. I am not sure if this is achievable or if I am being deliberately generous to my available funds but I wouldn't have thought the average is likely to be below 40mpg :nenau

So (again), no accomodation is the latest brain wave, but to camp instead. But wait, campsites will also eat into my budget! (we're talking very tight budget)

How about wild camping?

How easy/practical is it to find wild camping spots, whether at altitude or otherwise in the vast wilderness that is the French/Swiss/Italian Alps?

I'm not talking about snuffing out, skinning then eating Marmots but wild in the sense of 'free' out of the way tent pitching for each overnight whilst domesticating on such goods as Heinz finest and similar! :thumb2

The available funds are still not fully sorted but I am not anticipating much disposable beyond fuel funds.

I estimate that 2K miles will be itro £300 - 2.5K £375. Somewhere between these figures will allow me to pretty much stick to the approx planned route.

Realistically funds are going to be short until Sept next year but if I don't make a break for two years on the bounce I may as well buy a Hermit shell.

I work hard and like most people, deserve a holiday, and so this is my final solution, to wild camp in order to drastically cut costs. :comfort

Over to you guys - wild camping, feasible for 10 nights or more in the following regions of the Alps, or is bust?

To give an idea of my chosen routes/destinations:-

Dorset (start) - St.Jean en Royans - Jafferau - Briancon - Jausier - Clue d'Aiglun - Col de Tende - Nufenen - Splugen - Gavia Pass - Livigno - Albulapass - Lichenstein and route back to Calais.

Unless you're tearing the arse out of it 50mpg average should be attainable, especially with efficient Continental enforcement of speed limits.
Bimbling in Spain have seen up to 70mpg.

:beerjug:

Go for it:thumb
97071683_FysVy-O.jpg

Wild camping why not but dont discount some campsites I've paid under 10 euros on French municipal and small off touristy routes, for shit,shower and water with the ability to lay in longer (sometimes feel you have to be up and away early when unless your out the way as above pic) it's worth a tenner. All over France they have places in/around towns where you can park up your camper van for free some have water and toilets I have set up my tent on them when caught out as long as you don't take up a van spot you be friendly with camper owners you could end up with a brew in the morning as a bonus. Also I can still do nearer 50mpg fully loaded just ride smooth. There is the option of cutting the route to save on fuel and chill in one area for a day or two.
Enjoy, Dave

Unless you're tearing the arse out of it 50mpg average should be attainable, especially with efficient Continental enforcement of speed limits.
Bimbling in Spain have seen up to 70mpg.

:beerjug:

I was hoping for a figure like that to pop up! :thumb2

I shan't be tear arsing like last years effort. This is about taking it all in and getting many many pics this time around.

If I can get 50mpg I should be able to treat myself to the odd Baguette and Pizza rather than just beans! :beerjug:

Go for it:thumb
97071683_FysVy-O.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! :thumb

Wild camping why not but dont discount some campsites I've paid under 10 euros on French municipal and small off touristy routes, for shit,shower and water with the ability to lay in longer (sometimes feel you have to be up and away early when unless your out the way as above pic) it's worth a tenner. All over France they have places in/around towns where you can park up your camper van for free some have water and toilets I have set up my tent on them when caught out as long as you don't take up a van spot you be friendly with camper owners you could end up with a brew in the morning as a bonus. Also I can still do nearer 50mpg fully loaded just ride smooth. There is the option of cutting the route to save on fuel and chill in one area for a day or two.
Enjoy, Dave

Cheers Dave, some good tips there. :beerjug:

I was hoping for a figure like that to pop up! :thumb2

I shan't be tear arsing like last years effort. This is about taking it all in and getting many many pics this time around.

If I can get 50mpg I should be able to treat myself to the odd Baguette and Pizza rather than just beans! :beerjug:

Looking forward to your "Touring on a budget" ride report.

:thumb2

I had to try hard to get much less than 50 mpg on my 1200GS. If things are that tight, just cruise at 65 instead of 80 on th emain roads, and bimble around on the twisties.

I've never done wild camping, preferrign instead even the basic amenities available at any cheap campsite in France. A Camping municipale or camping a la ferme will be dead cheap and allow you to at least sit down for dump.

Have fun, whatever you do.

Mate Ive wild dossed throughout France, Switz, Italy, Austria, Corsica etc etc. Its not a drama if you are a little bit sensible.

I tend to ride to near a town for food etc then look for either a forestry park, wooded area or similar.

Crash out, pack , and go. I dont leave any mess and inded Ive been woken by Belgian forestry workers who had a chat, gave me a drink and were happy to see me.

Likewise I crashed in a copse in Corsica and the farmer allowed me to use his swimming pool !!

Just go for it, dont leave any mess and folk will be fine for it.

Theres some pics on my ride reports.

Have a great trip :)

Mate Ive wild dossed throughout France, Switz, Italy, Austria, Corsica etc etc. Its not a drama if you are a little bit sensible.

I tend to ride to near a town for food etc then look for either a forestry park, wooded area or similar.

Crash out, pack , and go. I dont leave any mess and inded Ive been woken by Belgian forestry workers who had a chat, gave me a drink and were happy to see me.

Likewise I crashed in a copse in Corsica and the farmer allowed me to use his swimming pool !!

Just go for it, dont leave any mess and folk will be fine for it.

Theres some pics on my ride reports.

Have a great trip :)

Good advice, just bear in mind that in many areas wild camping is illegal. The important thing is to leave no litter etc
Here in Austria it depends upon the attitude of the local authority (Germinde) which can vary from total indifference to strict adherence to the letter of the law. For instance in our village the owner of the local campsite is, shall we say, well conected so wild campers are at risk of being moved on by the police. Higher up, above 1500m should be no problem but it might get a touch cool in the night! In areas with no official campsite you should find a more relaxed attitude exept of course where previous wild campers have not cleared up after themselves/left gates open/caused damage.

Enjoy

John

Looking forward to the report thats for sure, I wouldnt bank on more than 50mpg with luggage, at least then you wont run out of funds :D 70mpg is beyond my wildest dreams, what did you manage to get to that tankful? :eek:

Looking forward to the report thats for sure, I wouldnt bank on more than 50mpg with luggage, at least then you wont run out of funds :D 70mpg is beyond my wildest dreams, what did you manage to get to that tankful? :eek:

Thanks for all the tips guys! :thumb2

I bought a book a while back but because I thought this trip was going to be called off, until recently, I hadn't bothered reading it! I've been reading it this week and regarding accomodation there is a section that refers to wild camping that says...

"Camping sauvage (wild camping) is restricted to designated areas. In the national parks it is generally permitted as long as you are at least 1 hour's walk from the nearest road. Check with tourist or park offices for details".

I'm sure I can manage that. :)

BTB - I have only just cracked 600 miles and so will be going in for the 1st service this weekend. As before, I chose 40mpg as my buffer, and would expect more really. It is nothing more than a safety margin regarding expenditure.

In my 600 miles to date I have ran the tank to the reserve light, topped up and the light is back on around 130 miles. I have been enjoying the bike too much to record the cost of fuel I've put in to take it from the light to just below the rim but it seems like the tank range to empty (what good is that to anyone?) would be considerably sub 200 miles, more like 170 miles before a walk with a jerry can! :nenau

I've only just now been to the P.O to collect my pannier rails (Ebay) which will need to be adapted for my luggage. :eek This is one time when I need the clock to stop for a while , like an extra weekend!

It looks like the voting has taken place without me here and so I guess a ride report is on the cards! :beerjug:

Right, let's get this package opened and see where we are with fittings etc....

You must ride very enthusiastically :D my fuel light usually comes on around 170-180 when touring and the average last year for 2500 miles through France was 52mpg.

If you wander around with a big open smile and are willing to talk to people, you'll quite often get a night's kip on a front room floor or in a barn......don't be afraid to ask people if they know somewhere you can crash out, you'll be surprised at the results sometimes

Also do a bit of digging on Google into Youth Hostels and the YMCAs around......you don't have to be a youth OR :ymca2to use them, and they can be extremely cheap, as well as providing a place to wash up, shower and so on.

Wild camping, go for it.........after all, what's the worst that could realistically happen...You might get moved on by a local plod?

As mentioned above, just be nice, keep tidy and smile a lot......most people (I believe anyway) are intrinsically nice....outside of the big towns where cynicism and bad experiences outweigh the altruism, you'll always end up being OK as long as you're sensible and have the right attitude :thumb2

I've wild camped around most of western Europe (not in The Nederlands or Portugal so far) and never had a problem. Choose your spot carefully, arrive late and leave early and you're unlikely to be disturbed. As as been said already a camping municipale can be amazingly good value even if it's just every 3rd or 4th night for a shower. Although a swim in a lake is at least as good if not better, just don't choose one that's fed by glacial meltwater:blast:blast. That can be a testicularly painful experience.

Why not try leaving the bike parked up for a few hours now and again and getting your trainers out of the panniers? Some of the best scenery is only accessed by shanks pony, it's free and does you good!!

Looking forward to the RR.:beerjug:

If you wander around with a big open smile and are willing to talk to people, you'll quite often get a night's kip on a front room floor or in a barn......don't be afraid to ask people if they know somewhere you can crash out, you'll be surprised at the results sometimes

Wild camping, go for it.........after all, what's the worst that could realistically happen...You might get moved on by a local plod?

As mentioned above, just be nice, keep tidy and smile a lot......most people (I believe anyway) are intrinsically nice....outside of the big towns where cynicism and bad experiences outweigh the altruism, you'll always end up being OK as long as you're sensible and have the right attitude :thumb2

I have no idea but it would be nice to sleep with Wolves in the Mercantour region.... I think! :aidan

Tidyness I have no problem with. Ok, I'm not the tidiest person in the world, and maybe by a margin but the one I cannot abide is litter being left about. Cynicism , hmmmm , but I'm British? :nenau

The hostels/YMCA etc don't appeal to me, I do like my own space. Communication isn't a problem when on the road so I take your points on board. :thumb2

Why not try leaving the bike parked up for a few hours now and again and getting your trainers out of the panniers? Some of the best scenery is only accessed by shanks pony, it's free and does you good!!

Looking forward to the RR.:beerjug:

What? Trainers? Walk? Getaway , I don't do walking!

Actually you make a very valid point and I really could do with more excercise ... when I've given up the dreaded weed! :blast

Back
Top Bottom