Your Favourite Road/s in the Iberian Peninsular?

shez1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I thought it might be interesting to share favourite roads in the winter gloom. I will start with an obvious one, the N260 in the Pyrenees. At over 500km there are few roads of interest that long. I find the eastern end the best. Not everyones cup of tea, but a good starter.

I thought it might be interesting to share favourite roads in the winter gloom. I will start with an obvious one, the N260 in the Pyrenees. At over 500km there are few roads of interest that long. I find the eastern end the best. Not everyones cup of tea, but a good starter.
That is indeed a fabulous road

Let me add one that have become my my firm favourites after a recent trip

The N221 ( Douro valley )

Any of them that lead to a Parador.

Puigcerda to Ribes de Freser in the N260/N152 or whatever it’s called these days.

That road to Truchas is spectacular once you find it lol

The sections that have been resurfaced makes it racetrack quality

it's a bit of a leap of faith if heading south as the road condition is not good until after a good few km south of Ponferrada.

It would be good if bods could show on a map, where the road is. See Wessie’s post for an example.

Cracking thread Shez

Too many to mention, but the ZA125/LE125 between Puebla de Sanabria and La Baneza is sublime

31bd225a026ad373353746d785dbf7ce.png

60ab2e909ec92c45651e30a328052d31.png

f530d9afaab7e042e9c3af93b0eab5b1.png

002ef413d8560434d3e982fa98e945a3.png

a9062db5d1b1c00afbed54f37985f7ea.png

Too many to list, but in my Hayabusa days, we enjoyed a good blatt up the N110. After an overnight at the Parador at Placencia, we stuck NW to Avila, Segovia, El Burgo & on to Soria, then over the mountains north on the N111 (not the tunnel) towards Logrono - then left onto the LO861/2 to Navarrete to pick up with the N120 west to Santa Domingo for a final night at the Parador.

Brilliant fun, fast sweeping A roads, but parts are patrolled by the Guardia so take care with the pace.

I have yet to find my favourite, I am just enjoying the many that are vying for my attention...And there are many.

Just south of the eastern end of the N260 is a fantastic road that runs Rippol to Berga. Little traffic, lots of good curves, good road surface. One of my favourites.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 15.55.20.png

This is a nice route, has everything, the Castelo Branco bit is good for a coffee/food stop....132KM 2hr 15 is the average. The roads are empty, literally, no one on them! Rivers, viewing platforms, mountains, wind turbines and Oleiros is a lovely little place with iron sheep in iron spiked collars, just next to the municipal water fountain! A few coffee shops and small bars.
I like Oleiros. I live on the drier, warmer side of the mountains, only 15 minutes to the snow in the winter.
Screenshot 2023-11-08 213539.jpg

It's such an easy mistake that I've done it dozens of times - 'peninsular ' is an adjective whose noun is 'pensinsula '. Hence it's the Iberian Peninsula whereas you can describe 'Peninsular Spain' as the bits on the mainland, I.e. not including Ceuta, Melilla and the Balearic and Canary Islands.

Just saying like :)

Some great roads mentioned above like the N-111 and road to Puebla de Sanabria. I'd also add the extension from Sanabria to the border is also worthy of a nomination. The road mentioned to Truchas mentioned by RedRickup is also fantastic as described - runs up to Sobradelo on the OU/R-122

There are so many great roads in Spain but from my most recent trip this summer just gone I would single out 2 in particular: First is the well known N-621 ridden southwards/uphill from Potes to the Puerto San Glorio and the second, and favourite road of the most recent trip, would be the CV-395 between Requena and Chera (Communidad Valencia).

I have a list of about 70 roads in Spain that I would class as 5 star roads. I'd be happy to share if anyone is interested. I can only provide in list form as haven't foundf a way of depicting visually. If anyone has any tips ...

Back
Top Bottom