Fuel controller

Benhur Malta

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dear all,

Have read a number of threads which describe the advantages a fuel controller can give to the gs...am not sure of the following though

1. Does the twincam gain in performance with a power commander or similar?

2. Which is the best power commander or wunderlich fuel controller?

Please note that I am not in the position to remap the bike since I am out of the UK...

Many thanks for your advice

R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

its depends what map it has on the bike at the moment....

mine was quick but utterly terrible under 3k - it got an update and with the cat sensors back on and a zero map on the PC below 4k is a total transformation but the rest of it is hideous... dead at 4 to 5 k so it hangs around in the rough spot for 10 times as long - ruined the bike and no matter what I do with the PC, I can't fix what they ruined and they won't give me back my better map

done well it will be more flexible and smoother and easier to ride... but don't expect any more power with any device
some idiots ruin the throttle and make the throttle feel more useless but that not more power its just a mess

neither device you suggests is remotely close to cutting edge - you could try a rapid bike evo - motorcycle news seem to approve... and the paper work claims great stuff - but a few years back a dyno expert in UK thought early products a pile or poo

Whatever option you decided, get it set up on a dyno to get the full benefit.

Decat headers are more worthwhile than an end can, keep standard air filter unless you're a k&n shareholder. Brisk plugs are worth it too.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

+1 for AF-XEIDs as no need for Dyno runs,just fit and leave them on setting 7. (13.8 to 1 afr on my bikes)
Had a set on 2 bikes 80k miles and have loads of data to show how well they control the AFR.
Recorded with wide band Lambda sensors next to the stock narrow band sensors, data recorded on a dual channel Innovate motorsports LM2.
Played with Power commanders, Techlusions, etc in the past but with the intelligent BMW fuel system AF-XIED`s are the way to go.
Use the system rather than try and fight it.

its AF-XiED

I'd only read of it once before never knew what it was and can't find manu link...

After extensive development and testing, we have adapted the most sophisticated version of our patented narrowband O2 sensor inline enrichment technology for use with the BMW Motronics ECM's used in BMW's R1200 motorcycles.

This technology allows the BMW-AF-XIED to provide the most accurate control over narrow band O2 sensors achievable, providing quite accurate Lambda shifts from the emissions mandated 1.000 (14.7:1 AFR) to 0.939 (13.8:1) normally only seen by wide band sensor upgrades. Stable mixtures of Lambda 0.925 (13.6:1) have been seen in some bikes. All of this at a modest-cost and in a simple, plug-n-play package that can be installed with a minimum of effort.

attachment.php

AF-Xied for me too.
With Import Duty and Carriage (only available from USA unless you can find a Used Set over here), they work out around £80 more expensive than some Re-Map Options (at current Exchange Rates), but you can either sell them on for a very good price or transfer them over to another Bike if you sell your current Ride.
A Re-Map is Ok as long as the Bike is a Long Term Keeper (assuming it's actually been done properly anyway!).

Yep your right I before E except after C .
Make exceptions it is new years day morning after all. :sleep

I doubt the AF-XiED is the full answer, but certainly are great starting point.... the fact u can leave everything plugged in is desirable as the vehicle can work with its range of mapping rather than using a base map for every weather, temp and altitude change you may experience

price is a joke though, its about 2 pence worth of electronics - basically a resistor on one of the 4 wires

if you read about many others try it on different makes and the richer u go the more the signal to the ecu is impacted.... even the AF-XiED instructions says may need new lambda sensor "as need a strong signal" - which is code for throws and error if voltage back to the ecu is too little coz of the rodge the bodge resister trick

wouldn't touch them, looks like total bollocks according to this.

I had my gs hiltopped and does run really well but I do wonder if it’s placebo effect.. I’m still not sure.

said it before all modern vehicles have an adaption section of the engine map to (auto) compensate for poor manu tolerances, nasty fuel, worn / dodgy injectors, knock where it shouldn't or wear and tear... They do this so each vehicle compensates and runs OK. On any given vehicle you might luck out and get one almost as good as a blue printed special - or a rattly nail that's makes 20 bhp less - pure luck of the draw, with 10% further impact due to the way it was run in. They don't therefore make individual maps per vehicle - they just have "adaptions".

hilltop have never remapped anything - but they have got at the adaptions and optimised a set up for an average bike (within model range) and apply these fixes to all the bikes in general giving better performance and smoother running... The extra cash for an individual bike, is either to offer an adaption set better suited to your specific version of manu tolerances OR litteraly to print a dyno chart for 100 quid. The joy with this idea is the manu isn't worried, as all work is done within tolerances they designed the vehicle to operate within anyway. Would be interested how they fix so it doesn't slip back - another issue is it can all get wiped if someone resets it, so the video earlier is a total load of tosh by yet more idiots who know nothing but want to talk a good job.

I have not found ANYONE in the world who remaps BMWs, take a look at the map and I think you'll see why...
I think these are the guys that do it for BMW https://www.evc.de/en/product/ols/software/ its mind boggling rot, so its not a big surprise so few know how to tweak it... download your map, in the K24 folder here https://mega.nz/#F!plp2gCJS!NDWXdf7OjFC0bTTiwyf0Ug, then either buy WinOLS or find the software and take a look... at no point in a 15mile long graph do u know which revs or throttle opening you are even looking at !!!

its oddities remind me why Rapid bike couldn't remap a euro 4 ZZR1400 when demoing the product to the guys they wanted to run the UK franchise. I was reading the other day, Maunufacturers are legislated against to make remapping hard work. Thus I think its almost like layers of maps and given certain atmospheric conditions / engine temp / fuel / other variables, which map the bike starts up with today isn't the one you had yesterday. So you spend a day in the dyno shop creating a great map. Tomorrow the weather changes the bike's a different temp as you turn the key and yesterdays map isn't the one it starts on today.... So I suspect till some one works this out and tweaks it so they can edit all versions of the mapping its will be an odd unreliable remap that gets bad press. hence why its so prevalent to mess up the adaption data which is there to sort the engine out regardless of the map

Please, someone stop this degrading into the usual HT vs TT slagging match/debate/discussion.

P
L
E
A
S
E
!

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom