VARYING HEIGHT

DavidH

Reaction score
i have a 1250GS (21). Sole the height is great and I cam flat foot. The suspension is set on Auto and Road. With a passenger the auto adjustment lifts the bike to a point where I am on TIP toes.

Any ideas please how I can get round this

Surely the whole point of the auto passenger mode is that it lifts the suspension?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

i have a 1250GS (21). Sole the height is great and I cam flat foot. The suspension is set on Auto and Road. With a passenger the auto adjustment lifts the bike to a point where I am on TIP toes.

Any ideas please how I can get round this

Do as I do - move the bike about for a short while after the pillion has gotten off the bike. It settles quite quickly.

When they first get off the bike will be set for a passenger.

Surely the whole point of the auto passenger mode is that it lifts the suspension?

The auto preload should maintain the same ride height . It shouldn't behave like that, it may need recalibrating. Take it to the dealer.

I think the auto pre load only adjusts once the bike is moving so when the passenger gets off the bike will rise and stay high until you start moving again when it will wind down again. Regardless of weight the ride height should be the same when moving

I can see where this may be a problem. That said from the other side of the coin the bike suspension is a great feat of engineering that for me at least makes the bike. I'm in the middle of a trip both on and off road through the Austrian Alps. The machine munched its way through some lengthy Freeway stuff yesterday with consummate ease and this morning climbed a mountain. Astounding stuff. As an ex K1600 GTL rider and Iron Butt enthusiast after a moderate amount of farkling, this machine does it all.

I'm 6'5" but have the seat in the low position which keeps my nut below the turbulence from my Puig Touring screen and fitted aerofoil, whilst enabling some comfort on lowered pegs made possible by the clearance offered above the pavement. The only thing I miss and that's a marginal 'miss', is the turbine like power from the K1600's mill which, by any measure, is a wonder when that is, it's not chewing through alarming amounts of oil. I now regret not buying a GSA earlier.

Quite what you can do to solve your issue is a bit of a mystery and one that, as always with the benefit of hindsight, may have led you to a low suspension version from the outset. All that said with a Russell Day long on my K I could not flat foot in the normal seated position due to the seat height/wings but did get used to it......good luck, stay safe and well. Tony

Use lower seat when ride 2 up to be safe, and not fall over, how I know. :D

I think you've missed the point. Yes it is the idea of lifting the bike with extra weight but to a level to where it normally rides.

With a pillion on it goes from me being flat footed to being a ballerina. Tip toes hardly touch the ground with the pillion on. My previous gs was fine. I have heard from the dealer that they have heard of this a couple of times

I think you've missed the point. Yes it is the idea of lifting the bike with extra weight but to a level to where it normally rides.

With a pillion on it goes from me being flat footed to being a ballerina. Tip toes hardly touch the ground with the pillion on. My previous gs was fine. I have heard from the dealer that they have heard of this a couple of times

I dont understand why the bike sits higher with a passenger on. My understanding is that the function of auto pre load is to maintain the same bike geometry regardless of load carried. So lets say a heavy passenger gets on, the bike will sit down further at the back, but after you start to travel the auto pre load should wind up the spring to raise the back of the bike to its normal position. So when you stop, two up, your seat should be at its usual position. When the pillion gets off the bike will rise and yes you may be on tip toes with the bike stationary, but when you set off solo it will wind down again.

I dont understand why the bike sits higher with a passenger on. My understanding is that the function of auto pre load is to maintain the same bike geometry regardless of load carried. So lets say a heavy passenger gets on, the bike will sit down further at the back, but after you start to travel the auto pre load should wind up the spring to raise the back of the bike to its normal position. So when you stop, two up, your seat should be at its usual position. When the pillion gets off the bike will rise and yes you may be on tip toes with the bike stationary, but when you set off solo it will wind down again.

Bike go higher to stop bottom out with more heavy weight, when you hit hole.

No, the bike stays the same ride height when you add weight.

I wish mine did. I’ve had four GSA’s with this type of suspension, all of them have risen when the passenger hops off. If it’s definitely a fault, I’ve had a remarkably bad run of luck. Watching this thread with interest, thanks.

I wish mine did. I’ve had four GSA’s with this type of suspension, all of them have risen when the passenger hops off. If it’s definitely a fault, I’ve had a remarkably bad run of luck. Watching this thread with interest, thanks.

See post 3

Back to the OP. This behaviour of your suspension is wrong. Get it fixed under the warranty.

Sorry not mine it goes up I feel it in my feet, so I got low seat just for this.

Sounds odd. In auto, mine drops initially and then (once on the move) increases back to where it started. When the wife gets off, I'm on tip toes until I move the bike a bit, when it drops. If it does anything else there's something wrong.

Attachments

• Suspension.PNG
    Suspension.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 135
Sounds odd. In auto, mine drops initially and then (once on the move) increases back to where it started. When the wife gets off, I'm on tip toes until I move the bike a bit, when it drops. If it does anything else there's something wrong.

Yes this sound correct as I do not move bike when wife get off so yes you are correct, and low seat makes me more comfortable now, I had high seat before, but feel better seated in low seat, so do not use much high seat, maybe only for travel long, but lately no long travel with covid walls.

Sorry not mine it goes up I feel it in my feet, so I got low seat just for this.
With your engine running and bike unloaded set the suspension preload to MIN. This is the baseline ride height that your bike is calibrated to.
Set the suspension to Auto then load the bike up, the suspension will compress and the seat will be lower.
Start riding the bike and the suspension should rise back up to the baseline setting. If the bike rises higher than the baseline setting there is something wrong.
You can of course overload the spring so the suspension is no longer able to rise back up to the baseline.

With your engine running and bike unloaded set the suspension preload to MIN. This is the baseline ride height that your bike is calibrated to.
Set the suspension to Auto then load the bike up, the suspension will compress and the seat will be lower.
Start riding the bike and the suspension should rise back up to the baseline setting. If the bike rises higher than the baseline setting there is something wrong.
You can of course overload the spring so the suspension is no longer able to rise back up to the baseline.

Nice tip will try later today before storm comes.

Back
Top Bottom