R1250GS TE to Tracer 9GT?

madasadad

Reaction score
Has anyone made this move and why? I’m actually considering it although I’ve only had my Jan2019 with 11k miles for 2 weeks, I find it just so heavy to move around at 5’6 and bringing it off the Center stand is just a lie down waiting till happen!
I’ve ridden the Tracer for a couple of hours and once the screen would be replaced, it may be a worthy alternative

Normal at beginning, give it time center stand is easy with good technique, and take of panniers and extra weight before make more easy.

Have you considered either of the XRs as an alternative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could have the TE lowered.

You will save yourself some 30kgs, but I'd be asking myself how much of that time of ownership will I spend "moving it around". Pulling it onto the ctr stand is all about "technique" and wearing hard soled footwear. I have to say: my Triumph Tiger 800 was much more difficult to pull onto its stand than my GS 1200 and we're talking the same weight difference. The difference is the weight distribution and balance; the Tiger, whilst good (even great) was nowhere near as balanced, much less comfortable on a long run.

There must be someone who's made the transition but I can't imagine that many will have. If they have, they will likely frequent the Yamaha frums more now, than this one. :nenau

I went the other way. A Tracer GT to a 1250GS. The Tracer is a nice bike, fast and capable. And the weight difference is really noticeable. However, there were several things that were very annoying; the position of the key when in the ignition is a problem and nearly caused me to crash! The TFT is garbage, the screen useless and the fuel gauge stupid.

I swapped for the GS immediately after the key issue nearly threw me down the road and haven’t looked back since. I don’t think the Tracer is in the same ball park as the GS but it is a good motorbike and as I said, noticeably lighter and easier to move.

I went the other way. A Tracer GT to a 1250GS. The Tracer is a nice bike, fast and capable. And the weight difference is really noticeable. However, there were several things that were very annoying; the position of the key when in the ignition is a problem and nearly caused me to crash! The TFT is garbage, the screen useless and the fuel gauge stupid.

I swapped for the GS immediately after the key issue nearly threw me down the road and haven’t looked back since. I don’t think the Tracer is in the same ball park as the GS but it is a good motorbike and as I said, noticeably lighter and easier to move.

What’s the ignition key issue?

Had a GS for some years now, i'm only 5' 5" and same age as you

Ive dropped it twice - once turning right, and the other putting it on the centre stand, you just pick it up its not that hard or heavy ;)

If your worried about the centre stand, just use the side stand

never had any issues taking it off the centre stand.

if your height is an issue, get it lowered 30mm with shocks and stands, and get a lower seat.

Personally, - just drop it, once you've got that of the way, you wont worry about it ever again

A friend of mine rides a Tracer 9, and we've swapped bikes once.

It's a nice bike, with a lovely engine character. However, when riding on less than perfect roads, I sorely missed the BMW suspension.

If the 1250 is too heavy, I would like to suggest the F850 GS or GSA.

Personally I have a 850 GSA, and actually, when riding solo, I prefer it over the 1250. On the speck - sheet it comes out short compared to the 1250, but when it comes to every day riding it feels lighter and easier to ride. It has less power than the 1250, and engine braking is also less pronounced, but for all practical purpose it's good enough to enjoy the ride.
At 5,6, perhaps a lowered version will be even greater.

Either way, whatever you choose, test ride before buying and follow your heart.
The Yamaha is still a great bike as well, and a test ride will reveal the differences.

Before putting the bike on the center stand, put the suspension to 2up position.

This raises the bike and its less lift to get the stand over center.

Or won't this work with the adaptive load setting? (I have a 2016 GS)

Before putting the bike on the center stand, put the suspension to 2up position.

This raises the bike and its less lift to get the stand over center.

Or won't this work with the adaptive load setting? (I have a 2016 GS)

Very true, I set to max with bike on sidestand and engine running when have heavy load, more easy to lift, must have in head set back to auto before leave though. :beerjug:

Low

I agree they get heavier every year!
At 5' 8" (29" inside leg) I bought the low version= 20mm lower makes a difference.
Riding I use low seat with fastaway pegs set low.
With engine bars giving confidence that a drop while turning isn't the end of the world and I haven't had a problem or dropped it
(I know I am bound to now!!) If the 900 goes over it would.
You've bought it now give it time before you jump, the more you ride the 1250 the more I like it.
I am told that you can run the standard bike in low mode.

I agree they get heavier every year!
At 5' 8" (29" inside leg) I bought the low version= 20mm lower makes a difference.
Riding I use low seat with fastaway pegs set low.
With engine bars giving confidence that a drop while turning isn't the end of the world and I haven't had a problem or dropped it
(I know I am bound to now!!) If the 900 goes over it would.
You've bought it now give it time before you jump, the more you ride the 1250 the more I like it.
I am told that you can run the standard bike in low mode.
I’ve the lowered chassis and lower rubbers on the stock adjuster so with 29” inseam I’m ok with the height.
I run it in low also and also have the wunderlich bars on it
I suppose, not knowing the Brand, I’m I sure about reliability, engine I’ve no issue with but the electronics I’m not so sure about, I traded my multistrada 1200s after 2 years when it ran out of warranty although it had never missed a beat!
I have it in my head that a new one with 3 yr warranty would ultimate the better buy, although out of my reach at present. It’s the nagging doubt that concerns me as much as the weight!
I sure there are thousands of GS out there that have never missed a beat!

I’ve the lowered chassis and lower rubbers on the stock adjuster so with 29” inseam I’m ok with the height.
I run it in low also and also have the wunderlich bars on it
I suppose, not knowing the Brand, I’m I sure about reliability, engine I’ve no issue with but the electronics I’m not so sure about, I traded my multistrada 1200s after 2 years when it ran out of warranty although it had never missed a beat!
I have it in my head that a new one with 3 yr warranty would ultimate the better buy, although out of my reach at present. It’s the nagging doubt that concerns me as much as the weight!
I sure there are thousands of GS out there that have never missed a beat!

This is reason why you find hard to lift up, put shock to MAX and see big difference when you lift, and put back to Low or min before you ride off

This is reason why you find hard to lift up, put shock to MAX and see big difference when you lift, and put back to Low or min before you ride off

This^^^^^

I've had 2 lowered 1200 GS's a d now have a 1250 TE with the lowered chasis too and have never had a problem getting the bike on it's centre stand. I dropped my 1st GS at low speed twice but the engine bars saved it from any damage and as above if you use the bars on full lock with the front wheel pointing to the sky they're quite easy to pick up as they don't lie flat like non boxer twins and if you have thick soled boots that helps to get it on the stand. Don't be too concerned about the weight as most of it is low down which makes it as easy to handle at low speeds as well as bikes weighing less. I'm 5'7" 11 stone 4 and 64 so not exactly a tower of strength

I had a test on a 9GT before I got my GS.

Honestly I liked it and would have bought it if it hadn’t been for Mrs S not feeling comfortable on the pillion.

For solo riding it would be ideal and the weight difference between that and the GS is quite noticeable.

That said my test was a short one and I’d have preferred more time on it.

The OP didn't say he has a problem putting his bike on the centre stand it is more the weight as it drops off the stand.

The GS is not much heavier than a Multistrada but does have a lower centre of gravity.
I am also 5'6" but with a 28" inside leg, like the OP I have lowered everything on the bike.
I am on my second GS since 2014 I have not dropped the bike moving around (yet) though I have dropped it whilst riding, but that's another story.
Try taking the bike off the main stand from the right hand side. Make sure the side stand is down, take the handle bar in your right hand with a finger on the brake and the left hand on the passenger grab handle. Pull the bike off the main stand, as it drops onto the tyres you can stop it rolling away with a bit of brake then lower it it onto the side stand.

The OP didn't say he has a problem putting his bike on the centre stand it is more the weight as it drops off the stand.

The GS is not much heavier than a Multistrada but does have a lower centre of gravity.
I am also 5'6" but with a 28" inside leg, like the OP I have lowered everything on the bike.
I am on my second GS since 2014 I have not dropped the bike moving around (yet) though I have dropped it whilst riding, but that's another story.
Try taking the bike off the main stand from the right hand side. Make sure the side stand is down, take the handle bar in your right hand with a finger on the brake and the left hand on the passenger grab handle. Pull the bike off the main stand, as it drops onto the tyres you can stop it rolling away with a bit of brake then lower it it onto the side stand.

Ah! That makes perfect sense, at least from the rhs I shouldn’t fall on me be should be ok to let it down onto the lhs

You should also consider the Guzzi V85TT. Alot lighter than the GS and bags of character.

Back
Top Bottom