New R1250GS Owner - Few Questions (be gentle!)

In terms of the Yoshi, I have the stainless with the carbon end and it's been spot on. Sounds better than the Akra for the 1250 (the previous model can would be louder) and was less than half the price.

Interesting, maybe stainless on the way to go then! Where did you buy yours from?

I fitted a Speedo Angels anti-glare TFT screen protector and it fitted perfectly. They’re £10.49 for two or £12.99 for three on eBay.

As mentioned above, MotoGrafix tank protectors are really good quality and made in Yorkshire :thumb2

I removed the BMW cradle and fitted my TomTom Rider 550. It’s a much more user friendly device than the archaic Garmin/BMW device e.g. wireless map updates, route planning via My Drive, not crappy Basecamp (I’ve owned several Garmin devices including the 595 the Nav VI is based on)

Perfect, just ordered a couple of them! Thanks for the link :)

Can you tell me a bit more about how you fitted your Tom Tom to the GS? On my RR it had an empty plug (just under the tank) to power the sat nav so just bought the BMW plug and wires from the dealer, and hardwired the Tom Tom to them, they it worked great from the ignition switch just like a factory fitted one. Do the GS have the same accessory plug? Also what mounts did you use to mount the Tom Tom? Any pics?

Thanks very much!

Interesting, maybe stainless on the way to go then! Where did you buy yours from?

Mine was from Calsport. I lied a bit and it’s a little more than half the cost of the Akra...

Sounds better though as it’s to the last Euro spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect, just ordered a couple of them! Thanks for the link :)

Can you tell me a bit more about how you fitted your Tom Tom to the GS? On my RR it had an empty plug (just under the tank) to power the sat nav so just bought the BMW plug and wires from the dealer, and hardwired the Tom Tom to them, they it worked great from the ignition switch just like a factory fitted one. Do the GS have the same accessory plug? Also what mounts did you use to mount the Tom Tom? Any pics?

Thanks very much!

I’ve fitted the TT mount using an R1150RT mounting block. Paul at Allan Jefferies found the part for me. I then used the usual BMW power cable and soldered it to the TT power lead. It plugs in on the right hand side behind the beak. Just follow the route of the lead from the BMW cradle.

05d169d2ce5921962ee393ebeeec4790.jpg

d8952ca70917d5cef3869e0568b4dc43.jpg

I’ve fitted the TT mount using an R1150RT mounting block. Paul at Allan Jefferies found the part for me. I then used the usual BMW power cable and soldered it to the TT power lead. It plugs in on the right hand side behind the beak. Just follow the route of the lead from the BMW cradle.

05d169d2ce5921962ee393ebeeec4790.jpg

d8952ca70917d5cef3869e0568b4dc43.jpg

Thanks that looks very neat and tidy! You don't have a link to the mount you used do you? My TomTom base is already wired up to the BMW plug connector from my S1000RR Hopefully it is the same plug on the GS!

Yoshi pipe, sounds great. small screen from Puig, makes the bike feel less like a tourer, save the bigger screen for long trips

Attachments

• 582D6AC9-0A11-4A4B-8EEB-B5E20BA92B1C.jpg
    582D6AC9-0A11-4A4B-8EEB-B5E20BA92B1C.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 363
Yoshi pipe, sounds great. small screen from Puig, makes the bike feel less like a tourer, save the bigger screen for long trips

Thanks that screen looks fantastic! Hows the wind protection, also what colour screen is that? Light Smoke, Dark Smoke, or Black?

There were two Nav V on here selling £300 but they go quick. You will be able to sell the Tom-Tom lol.
I’ve got the same bike with that tank pad fitted.

Someone’s put one up now for £275 +pp.

stuff

A good suggestion is buy lots of my stuff :D

www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk

Other than that all the suggestions from the guys are spot on (especially about the tom tom.......). Sadly the bike isn`t without it`s problems (from time to time) but FOR GODS SAKE get out there and enjoy it eh :thumb2

Ride safe fella!

[*]Reverse shift, bet no one has ever asked this! On my track bikes and other bikes, they all run reverse shift, so 1 up 5 down (from when I used to race in British Superstock, never been able to switch back), can the GS be converted to this? I had a quick look and it’s not like the RR when it has 2 linkage points and is a 2 min job to swop it over. Don’t think I’ll be able to do it as the linkage looks pretty direct to the gearbox shaft?
[/LIST]

I know what you mean. I had the same sort of problem coming off the Velo Viper. Cost a fortune to get the GS modded so the brake was on the left!

BMW tinted 'rallye' screen is the way to go. Same as the Wunderlich one mentioned earlier but full tint. Approx twice the cost at around £140.
Remove the 'sat nav preparation' and fit your Tom Tom on a ram mount, either bang in the middle of the bars or on one of those ram mount bolts on the bar clamp. Will look neater with the smaller screen and less 'busy' as the OEM set up and the TFT so close together looks too much!
If you're wanting to make it look more 'sporty' generally, remove the rear wheel cover too. :)
Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom