PanAM blog

monkeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Forgive my indulgence. I'm fecking bored out of my brains and it's cheaper for me to punch keys on here than on the pin machine in the John Lewis sale. A 2 month trip I did with a certain Mr Sanders a few years ago.

Buenos Aires, down to Ushuaia then up to Alaska, all in 9 weeks, 20000 miles, March to May. Bonkers. This one was quite difficult for many reasons. I'm sure you'll see so I won't pre-empt your thought patterns by telling you yet. A long way to go and not enought time to do it in really. Did we make it? Ready? Here we go....

Tick, tock, tick, tock.. Self destruct, armed, ready, steady, go.I bought a little cheap laptop out with me on this trip that I was going to use. I was going to stick my hand into the velvet bag of words in my skull and lay them in order on the screen. Turns out my thoughts are happier to run at the speed of ink so I'll let the words fall from my head, down my arm and onto the page instead. Putting words to paper is dangerous though. An open book is...well..an open book. One of my two faces will write this account while the other outward facing one will filter my thoughts and present only those deemed acceptable by the audience at the time.

Back to the front. It's quite a big group of riders - 20 bikes and a few pillions and crew. There is bound to be a complete cross section of people amongst them, there always is. [Hang on a minute, I just have to get something off my chest. I'm in a hostel in Buenos Aires. I'm sitting at a big table in the kitchen. It's lunchtime and the freaks are out. Travellers. Fucking big stupid dreadlocks but never been anywhere near Jamaica. Speaking with Australian voice inflection, assaulting my ears as he tries to chat up a sleepy blonde. Jesus. "Do me a favour mate" I ask him. "Here is a big scary knife, jump onto it will you please". One less oxygen thief in the world. Face 2 wipes the blade of blood and I'm back in the game.]

So we all turn up at the airport and the willy waving begins. The 11th commandment dictates that motorcyclists take part in this ritual whenever they meet for the first time. I'm never going to win one of those. Perhaps if there were a weener waving contest I might stand a chance. Whos going to be fastest/first/biggest/best? Who's got the newest shiniest gadgets? Face 1 plays the game while face 2 starts the categorization process. I'm bad. I know it. I'm the current 'quickest to judge' world champion. No second chances. No reviews. No shit. It's the same with everything I encounter. Sometimes a touch is enough. Drag a finger along a button in a shop and its like reading a barcode. Bleep, crap, move on. Cars, bikes, holidays, cutlery, food, TV, audio all assessed and categorized immediately. I look at people and I like to think I can read their characteristics like words in a stock ticker running through their veins. I try not to look at mine. I'm not sure I'd like what I see.

This time I'm going to give it some time, maybe an hour. Let them talk a bit at least. Much later I decide I need not have bothered. There are a lot of genuinely nice people here, people I'll definately find engaging rather than enraging. There are some 'pawns' too. Characterless souls whose veins run clear. People just to fill in the gaps in the scenery. A few are showing me words that immediately classify them as TBD (To Be Deleted). We'll not mix well. Water and oil. Everyone wants to be friends though which is good. Face 1 says "sounds good to me". Face 2 says "we'll wait and see".

So off we go. Each of us is carrying enough hand baggage to fill 3 overhead lockers. We're flying AlItalia. What we all expected was a crew of swarthy lithe hostesses that would be putting on acrobatic displays in the aisles. What we got was a couple of hair collectors that are proudly displaying crops of body fur that would take the combined efforts of a combine harvester, a strimmer and a big flame thrower to remove. Waxing wouldn't touch this, strictly industrial methods are the only way. Through Rome and 13 1/2 hours to Buenos Aires. The air crew seem to work about 1 hour in 10. Food is dispensed in special frisbee trays that they can throw from one spot. Whilst I'm eating a hostess manages to fly by and into my fork arm at high speed sending a machine gun trail of chicken gravy along my trousers and the seat in front. You get up over night for a drink. A BA crew would get up from their seat and get you a fresh cold drink. No problem, smiles and platitudes, then ask you if you wanted anything else. At Alitalia they just point to a tray with a few warm bottles and wave their hands as if you are a distraction from the the fresco nudes they are painting of their heavy, hairy, rubenesque colleague sprawled out on the galley floor.

Into Buenos Aires we go. Big sprawling city. Hot, humid and raining. On to the hostel. Nice place, recently refurbished I think. Like a lot of the places I go though it would be better without the people. I'm sure they're not all the same but some of these flippin youffs really get my goat. A traveller is someone who cut a lifeline and flock off. This lot all have laptops, IPhones, credit cards. Thick, almost visible umbilical cords leading back to the bank/womb at home. They seem to wander about all day staring at screens and pressing buttons, trying to look dirty but smelling clean. Trying to look rough but oozing moisturisers and gels. Maybe I'm just old but the future of the world looks bleak from here. Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man and I'm jealous. I'd love to press life's reset button and go back to that age.

Outside, Argentina looks nice. Buenos Aires is a busy place, lots of people on foot. Americanas Flabbyarseicus maximus wobblyarse doesn't seem to have made it down this far yet. I wander about for a few hours and I'm surprised at the lack of corporate America presence. No Starbucks every 3rd shop and I've not even seen a McDonalds yet. I'm sure they're here somewhere but not jumping out at every turn like we're used to. It's refreshing. It's very very hot and sticky though and I just want to get going.

Customs are dicking about and they won't be releasing the bikes until at least Monday. Bollocks. I'm not at all happy, none of us are, but it's just not going to happen any sooner. 4 days to kill in Buenos Aires then. Sounds great. Feels not so great. It's not what I came for.

A001.jpg

bw0002.jpg

bw0022.jpg"

Another day in paradise. I hate waiting. I abhor waiting. I detest and loath waiting. My blood pressure rises until my veins stand proud of my skin. My heartbeat sending a pulse through them like a bloody tsunami building and building. My muscles tense, my temper shortens and the swearing worsens quickly reaching stratospheric levels. My temples begin to ache and my head feels like an air line has been pressed into my ear and left on. I reach a state when murder seems a sensible option and I don't pick up a knife for fear of inserting into some skin.... Anyway, I've been waiting for 3 days now and it shows no sign of abating. The problem seems to be the Argentinian customs. It seems it is a Argentinian custom to operate a strict priority scheme when dealing with imported items. It appears our bikes are at the bottom of a very very very long list. Anything, absolutely anything else takes priority. Moustache maintenance , pencil sharpening, walking round in circles, clipping fingernails, anything. When there is absolutely nothing else to do, when all their facial hair is neatly lined up and brushed, when they've discussed last nights dinner with their mate, when they've exhausted their 'blue or black in' debate, WHEN HELL FUCKING FREEZES OVER, then we might get our bikes out. In normal circumstances the process might take a couple of hours. So far we've been waiting 4 long, hot and fucking frustrating days.

bw0023.jpg
bw0024.jpg

bw0009.jpg

Waiting. My feelings on waiting have gone beyond words now. They're a fist imprint on a door, a hole kicked in the wall, a strange bleeding scar I didn't have yesterday. I buzz with a charge that sparks out whenever I get within 10 feet of a metal object. I'm so charged that I'm probably showing up as a blip on some confused NASAR engineers radar screen somewhere. I NEED to get moving, and soon.

bw0012.jpg

Today, Sunday, it rained. Not the "I'm just pissing around" rain, more the "look what I can do when I'm angry" kind. Boca Juniors were playing River Plate this afternoon, the grudge match to beat all others. The game was called off at half time because of the rain with the score Football 0 Weather 1. The hostel we're in has become precinct 13 too. This sort of thing often happens. Day 1 you come in and all is fine but after a few days the scum drums beat out that there is money in the area and the lowlife arrive. Today two of the riders got a gun waved at them 100 yards from the hostel, then another got chased by another 3 men before he jumped into a taxi to escape. One of the others got his phone lifted from his pocket. The other night a girl in the hostel got a bag thrown over her head (insert your own joke here) and two people went through her pockets. Welcome to Argentina. It has to be said though that the people are generally very very friendly and helpful. It's just the ones with the guns and the hoods...

bw0015.jpg

bw0016.jpg

bw0021.jpg

"Wait for me". I've got enough trouble waiting for myself. Take a taxi to the the time wasters. Sure enough, it's a Monday morning and they're sat at their desks but I'm finding it extremely hard to detect any movement. It's like watching dry paint dry. Absolutely nothing seems to be happening. We've got some fix it bloke but he only seems to be able to fix it so we can wait. There are 20 of us here, each has to sign two forms - that's it. You don't have to speak to anyone, read anything, pay, just sign your signature twice. 2 hours later and we're finished. I've an awful feeling that I heard Jim Won't fix it bloke say "manyana, no" to someone. Oh dear. Forget slamming doors, screaming and shouting. Think "Englishman held over Buenos Aires moustache massacre. Old bloke, 40 something is being held in an Argentinian jail tonight after going on the rampage with a blunt razor in a customs office". Cue picture of hollow eyed maniacal stare holding up a police identification board, then footage of men running around holding their hands over top lips that haven't seen the light of day since they were 12. I've had more than enough of waiting, in fact I've had more than more than enough. Tomorrow we have been promised our bikes. Keep a keen eye on CNN.

Wait.. 10... we're going at 2...3...4.. no, we're still going to go, honest. They say the bikes are cleared.. 4:30.. no, come at 5.. The taxi can't find the place. I think the driver has nicked this cab, I think he's really a dentist, from Armenia. 5:45 we enter the port. The port shuts at 6..allegedly, yea right, I feel a bullshit moment coming on. Queue no. 1. Bribe request no. 1. "$1000 please" ... bugger off mate. Take your ugly face and put in a bowl of warm concrete then breath in, do us all a favour. "tomorrow is a public holiday so you won't get the bikes till Friday". You know, it's almost like they planned it. A price is negotiated and we make our way down to the hanger and get the bikes off the pallets. Bit of messing about for an hour and we're led out to the main gate. We're 10 yards from freedom, I can smell it. Wait for an hour.... 8 o'clock comes. "Oh, please bring the bikes round with us". We're led back through to way off in the back of the port again. "Please park your bike here". I park my bike next to a big lorry with an arm coming out of the side. "This is our new XRay machine and we want to test it out on your bikes". Yes mate, no problem. 8:30 - we've got all the time in the world, only a hundred miles to do, go ahead, be my fucking guest. This isn't an XRay machine, its a flippin time machine and it's been set to slow motion. 11:30, yep, 11:30 and they stop XRaying the bikes. I apparently had cocaine capsules (sockets in my tool set), someone had a block of crack (an ECU), someone else had a false tank (no..it's just somewhere else....they do that you know, twat) Professionals, consummate professionals. Time wasting could not be in better hands. So.. 11:30back at the gate. More waiting. "I just need to do some more paperwork". 12:30am "The clerks want some more money as they are working late" But they work here all night you stupid ball headed purveyor of poo and lies.. "or you don't get the bikes till Friday". $2000 total. Bargain, total bargain. After one more small bribe to the police who are waiting outside the gates, ready to throw a baton shaped spanner in the works, we're out the gates and free at 1:30am. Petrol.. 2:30am.. Off to the hotel. It's only a little way away... 2 little hours away. 4:30am and we get to the hotel. The town is still humming though. It's totally surreal. It's like it's the middle of the day, only dark. Small kids are playing on the street, people sat outside drinking in cafes, clubs pumping out heavy music keeping the people awake. Head hits pillow, pillow bounces to the beat until 6:30 when the locals finally give up and go to bed.

Up at 7:45. 600 miles to do today.

Autopilot on, hours pass, petrol is burnt. 10pm we get to the hotel. Thats pretty well all I remember.. except the roadblocks. Roadblocks. Stop and search. 'All luggage open?' 'Yes. I know it takes 10 minutes to unload and repack. I know it's impossible for you to have purchased anything at all since the last roadblock just round the last bend. I know I'll open the pannier, pretend I have XRay vision and and the scent glands of a cocker spaniel in order to search the contents without touching anything. Yes I know it's 10pm and you've been on the road 14 hours,now do it" "Don't worry about it mate, patience is my middle name, waiting is my game". Seriously, I'm thinking of starting a company offering 'waiting holidays' for those who like to queue. I'd make a flippin fortune. I'm really excited about it, I'm really really excited. In fact I just can't wait...

The hotel is fully booked it seems. Every bed appears to be occupied, by fleas. TBH I'm just not bothered. I'm so wankered I just don't care. I ask Mr and Mrs flea to budge over and I slip in beside them and slip into a coma. They spend all night feasting on my knees and scalp.. which is nice.

OK, some kind rider gets the defibrillator going and jump starts me out of my sleep/coma. I get out of bed and leave Mr and Mrs Flea to
sleep off their overnight feast. 7:30 is a watery coffee and a croissant or 'half moon' (in Spanish of course) as they call them. OK, we're going at 8:30. 800km today. No..wait.. Someone didn't make it to the hotel last night and they're 260km back up the road. Plans are changing, see, they just changed again... and again. Now we're going to to 450km instead, or should we do 500? Hold up... wait.. maybe.. Chaos and it's only the 2nd day. We get away eventually at 11. My patience is wearing thinner than gold leaf and I'm so pissed off I can barely talk. I need to be alone and possibly to have my lips sewn together. I seem to be carrying an invisible pillion. I think his name is Mr Sod and his word is law. If it can go wrong then Mr Sod ensures the jam is facing down.

Argentina0005.jpg

bw0030.jpg
bw0031.jpg

bw0029.jpg

At least the traffic is thinning and I'm begining to get the feeling that we're finally on our way. The roads down to Ushuaia are unfortunately straight and the scenery is non existent here. Flat plains with the occasional hillock thrown in. Yesterday it was lots and lots of cows waiting to fill the steak restaurants and agriculture to fill the rest of the plates but today it's much more barren as we track down close to the coast. Where the people start to thin out, then the wildlife takes over. Lots of big soaring birds sit on the wind and watch. Deer like creatures stand in groups on the dried out mud flats. The pretty stuff is all a long way west of here and hopefully we'll see it on the way back up but for now just to be moving is good. Today we ended up in the Welsh enclave of Trelew. Weird stuff indeed. Lots of pavement cafes serving high tea, scones and all. Dragon flags everywhere, welsh language signs. Very very strange indeed. I don't want to carry my little netbook anymore - it's dead weight. I try to give it to a kid on the street by his mum probably told him what strangers who offer him sweets really want to do to him. Christ know what he things I want in exchange for a netbook but he buggers off quick styley. I leave it in the hotel for a maid to pick up but some muppet finds in at gives it back to me again later. I'll give it to Mr Sod I think.

Argentina0006.jpg

Argentina0009.jpg

bw0034.jpg

Short day today, only 400km. Out and onto the plains again. It's like the earth is a big play doh ball that's been dropped on the floor and we're riding across the flat bit. 'ladies and gentlemen, if you'd like to look out of the left window you can see absolutely sod all as far as the eye can see, and if you look out of the right window...'. I'm sure you get the picture. Flatness on a HUGE scale. This is where the flat earth society hold their yearly conferences. Flat, scrub, a few odd sheep and horses. Some alpaca/pushme-pullyou lookalikes. Not much else at all….except for the wind. For the past few days there has been a crosswind but today it's really really cross. We ride along 10 degrees to the vertical all day. Going round left hand bends is the most disconcerting feeling. You lean to the right but go left. Watching other riders it looks more like a tacking boat than a bike, you seem to have to steer with the rear wheel. Tonight we're at Comodoro Rivadavia on the coast. It has a real feeling of isolation about it, like everyone is related. We can't find the hotel, someone has obviously hidden it. We sit at a junction and watch a road accident. There are no 'give way' signs or white lines anywhere and the roads are very dangerous. God only knows how they apportion blame in accidents. I watched one bloke run straight into another bloke and I have absolutely no idea whose fault it was, I'm not sure they did either.

Eventually find the hotel hidden under a rock. Pleasant place. Basic but friendly. My bike is pissing oil from somewhere and every time I stop it stands and drips little beads of black sweat like a metallic athlete after a race. I take off the bash plate and tighten its nuts, that would stop me sweating for sure so I'm hoping it will have the same effect. Also I made a bit of a major logistical lockup & I left an essential part of my panniers at home. Result is, melted pants. Now these pants have been tested in full combat conditions and they can take some heat but they have not been placed close to an exhaust before and they've melted together with a few other non essentials like clothes, battery chargers and camera cables - bugger. Totally my own stupid fault. We've parked the bikes in a building that is undergoing building work and there a few of the workers milling about. One of the other riders kindly organises the sparky to knock up a replacement exhaust diversion pipe to replace the one sitting 8000 miles away in my garage. He gets a piece of pipe, cuts it down to size, bends the end to slip over the exhaust then welds on a bracket so I can attach it to the pannier rail and jobs a goodun. 'The price senior?' '£5' Lovely jubbly. Looks hard as nails too - result.

Argentina0023.jpg

Argentina0018.jpg

Argentina0016.jpg
Argentina0020.jpg

Out before dark this morning, we've got a long way to go. We try to find our way out the town using someones satnav, or 'shatnav' as it turned out to be. Maybe my mate asked it to direct us to the local rubbish dump, up several unmade dirt street and into the bowel end of town but I seriously doubt it. Eventually we go manual, ask for directions and find our way out. Wind is up again and the road is very bad. Someone more used to rolling pastry than roads seems to have been let loose here. They're all over the place. The landscape has gone lunar today too, very very barren. After a while mother nature decides she needs to get her breath back and we're treated to a few hours of calm. The land starts to get more bumpy and interesting, they even throw in a few big fast corners too, which is nice. They seem to have an aversion to corners round here, they are busy bashing the tops off the hills to make the road as straight as possible from horizon to horizon. The scenery changes for a while with bright pink earth poking through the scrub. Lots and lots of these Lama/Camel/Cheryl Cole crossbreeds about today too. Big hairy feckers, often all over the road. I wouldn't want to hit one, I reckon it would hit me right back. Eagles and tiny stunted ostriches. Wild sheep and horses. Not much else with a heartbeat round here.

Argentina0025.jpg
Argentina0028.jpg

Argentina0029.jpg

We keep having long off road diversions where they're fixing the road (and taking out the corners usually!). There is going to be a lot of this on this trip and it's way out of my comfort zone, in fact it's right in my 'shart zone'. I always have a turd torpedo loaded and ready to fire at the first sign of trouble, didn't trigger it today though thank God. Later in the day mother nature has obviously finished breathing in and she starts to breath out again. Up comes the wind again. Overtaking trucks turns us into biker dolphins as we dive into the bow wave. Come along side, aim for the drivers door then duck in and go. Riding in these high winds feels like the bike is riding on a tightrope. It bucks and weaves and wobbles from side to side but thankfully keeps moving forward. Petrol is flippin expensive here too, nearly the same as home so big miles means big expense. I'm constantly looking for present for the family at home. Ladies are easy to buy for but all I can find for my son is knives, guns or girls, perfect.

Ushuaia is the target today, the southernmost city on earth. We've got to go into and out of Chile then back into Argentina to get there. Mother nature is clearly not only cross today, she's also bitter. It's blowing a hard and bitterly cold wind as we head down to the first border/job creation point.

Argentina0034.jpg

Argentina0027.jpg

5000 bits of paper and 30 gallons of ink later and we're in Chile. At least they have both sets of officials in one building here for a change. This piece of Chile is just a spur that cuts through Argentina to the east coast. The light is so strange here at this time in the morning, almost unnatural. As we've come south humanity has become thinner and thinner on the ground but this area seems even more sparsely populated. A few brightly coloured houses cling to the land near the border but then you're alone with the road for long periods. All that runs through here is a strip of concrete road…well.. so far. Get the ferry across the Magellan straights and hold tight to the bikes as we ride the impressive swell for 20 minutes.

Argentina0037.jpg

bw0037.jpg

Few more km, a small community then concrete turns to piste, 100km of very loose gravel covered piste. Unlike other rough roads I've ridden this is like the M1. Lorries and coaches by the dozen ply this road to supply the southern Argentinian population and it seems they're all ex rally drivers by the looks of it. After overtaking a load of lorries and coaches and nearly painting my pants I pick a coach and decide to follow it. He's a maniac, drifting it around and hanging the rear out round corners. Pretty impressive stuff really but it does mean I'm constantly getting pebble dashed and driving in a cloud of dust. He's doing 60-70mph most of the time so I put my brain in my panniers and hold station for a while. You know that feeling when you're walking downhill and you slip. You're sliding and only just keeping your balance and you're only just a fraction of a second away from and 'arse meets ground' moment. Well that's what I feel like for the next 30 minutes. The more you do the more you get used to the feeling of instability, like learning to skate I guess.

Argentina0040.jpg

Argentina0041.jpg

Towards the end I overtake the coach, breath fresh air and begin to enjoy it. I come to a big bend and feel the bike drift as I open the throttle. I'm getting the hang of this I think - that is until I stop a few miles later at the customs. I've got a puncture and my tyre is flat. It must have been flat for a while and it looks quite unwell, I just couldn't feel it in all the deep loose gravel. I bung a plug in the hole and pump it up - result, it holds.

bw0039.jpg

Go through a few more border posts and here we are, in the land of fire, 'Tierra de Fuego'. This whole area is strewn with Malvinas references. Last night's stop was home to the airbase used to fight the Falklands war. Later we go through Rio Grande and there are memorials everywhere. It's odd to think how times change in the space of just a few years. The people here seem to have a touch of the Med about them too.

Argentina0039.jpg

Not only do they obviously speak spanish but they also seem to come out en mass in the evening to promenade. The difference is that it's freezing cold and blowing a gale, but they still have their picnics besides campfires and enjoy the evening in the great outdoors. I'm guessing that a large part of the year this place is too flippin cold to venture out in at all so they make the best of it when the sun is out. As I leave Rio Grande the bike starts to vibrate. I ride with my fingers in my ears, my eyes closed, humming 'la la la I can't hear you' as I pretend it's not happening. Must be some dodgy tarmac or something, maybe its the wind, maybe the bike is tired, possibly, hopefully. At 80 it it feels awful and at low speed it feels like it's on ice as it's moving about underneath me. Something is knackered but I can't see what in the evening light so I decide to ride on. I ride at 90 to see if it will go away but I just end up with pins and needles in my fingers. We're into the mountains in the dusk. BIG scenery, snow capped peaks, lakes, big fast open bends. The bike is flecked, I'm convinced. I'm already mentally phoning home and telling them to put the kettle on. Bollocks, bollocks and double bollocks. I slow to 70 and let everyone go, it just feels to dangerous and it's getting worse. Even at 10mph it feels buggered, POOOOOOOOOO. Depression mode ON, tears and tantrums ON, kicking seven bells of shit out the bike ON. Get to the hotel and get off the bike, take a look under the streetlights. Take a look at the front wheel again, can't see anything wrong, look at the rear, run my finger round the tyre.. what's this? This doesn't feel right at all. The sidewalls of the rear tyre have gone from round to octagonal, the tyre is all out of shape and it's fucked. There are bulges absolutely everywhere and I've never seen anything like it.

Argentina0060.jpg

Its been getting worse all the time since I came into Argentina 200 miles ago. I must have driven on the flat for miles without noticing, just thinking the sliding was due to the gravel, I wasn't hanging about either. I've wrecked the sidewalls completely. I'm glad I only rode on it at 90mph, 91 would have been really dangerous. Still, I've got a spare rear tyre on the bike and I can sort it out tomorrow. Perhaps Mr Sod has decided to get off my bike and ride with someone else, HORAH!

The hotel we're at today has a room at the top that's surrounded by windows, like a rooftop conservatory and at breakfast the sun bangs it's fist on it's alarm clock and begins the struggle to get up.

Argentina0047.jpg

As it climbs over the mountains it throws rays across the city picking out corrugated iron roofs and church spires. This place is only 600 miles from Antarctica so it's pretty cold. Lots of boats do trips to see the wildlife and they sit and purr in the harbour trying to get some heat into their bones surrounded by the morning mist.

Argentina0058.jpg

Argentina0048.jpg

Argentina0055.jpg

Argentina0053.jpg

Argentina0049.jpg
Argentina0059.jpg

This place feels a lot like the Alaskan towns and I like the atmosphere. I go to get my tyre changed, I'm expecting a wait…I'm shocked though. the bloke is like a whir and fits it quicker than a quick fit fitter. He looks at the carcass and whistles and smiles. I look and think maybe Mr Sod made room for Lady Luck yesterday, she can ride pillion anytime. The tyre has big gashes in the sidewall where it's obviously been ridden on the rim, I don't reckon it would have lasted much longer so I count myself very lucky. Pay the bloke £5 and the bike feels 100% again, a huge relief and a smile on my face.

Argentina0062.jpg

We have a day off here today so have a wander round to fill some time. The main street is a tourist trap full of overpriced stuff for keeping warm but the rest of the place is lovely.

Later we all trek down to the national park for a picture by the end of the world sign we've all been aiming for. 20km more dirt roads, nearly there, last corner, this is it, there it is, here we go…. STOOOOOOOOOOPPPPP. Some park ranger bloke jumps out and stops us taking our bikes to the sign. It's like the motorcyclist equivalent of coitus interrupts, so near yet so far from our goal. We all have to park 100 yards away and cry quietly. Apparently, according to a new rule he's just made up on the spot, as we're part of an organised (perhaps he has a different understanding of the word organised than we do) tour then we should have paid extra to come in the park and he is going to fine us. He is, he really is, I just can't believe it. I'm not having that, I'm just not. One phone call to Lady Margaret Of The Falklands and 5 SAS blokes on standby appear from the bushes and hang the bloke by the balls with razor wire from the nearest tree. Thanks Mags, big up yourself. Once the bloke os out the way I take my bike for the shot we've all been waiting for then shoot off before the screams and blood puddle attract too much attention.

Argentina0064.jpg

Argentina0066.jpg

great pics and story

Great photos, thanks for posting, what are you shooting with?

:thumb2

I carry a Nikon D60 with a small kit lens. The black and whites were on an ancient Nikon FM with a 17mm. Didn't take many b&w's though cos my film got ruined:( Such a beautiful place down there. Just beautiful.

Very cold morning.

Argentina0068.jpg

Argentina0069.jpg
Argentina0050.jpg

Up and out of Mordor through the greasy slimy mountain roads, half asleep and freezing, riding directly into the morning sun, easy! Out of Argentina and into Chile towards the piste again. Customs say there is a crash, the road is blocked and we need to take a 100 mile diversion round some worse piste, I just can't think of anything better.

Argentina0070.jpg

Just as we hit the piste someone gets another puncture. Between us we have about 100 different puncture kits and we try them all - no luck. We take the wheel off, then the tyre and patch it from the inside, put it back together but still no luck. The puncture is bad and it has pushed some of the metal banding through which seems to be thwarting all the attempts to fix it. Wait for the backup truck and change the tyre. Now it's getting dark and we've not started the 100 mile piste yet. I'm sort of getting used to this now but I'm still not as confident or fast as the others and it's still a very very scary experience. My old bike is taking a battering and a fork seal has blown now to add to it's woes. 100 fraught and tense miles later and the front wheel kisses the tarmac again as the sun says goodnight, perfect. Over the Magellan straights again on the ferry then a quick squirt through customs, onto Rio Gallegos and horizontal bliss.

bw0050.jpg
bw0051.jpg

bw0052.jpg

Head west today to Calafate and the biggest fuck off glacier I've ever seen. Into the national park and its lakes lakes and more beautiful lakes. They look like someone has washed big blue paintbrushes in them. They're absolutely stunning and the most piercing I think I've ever seen. Out to the glacier, OK, it's big… very VERY BIG. Scales are difficult to describe but when lumps fall off it they make a sound like thunder claps. Like a HUGE big feck off penny shove machine, the millions of tonnes of ice are slowly pushed down to the lake, then fracture and finally drop. It's an incredible site at the face. A lot of the glaciers I've seen are moving so slowly that they are grubby and brown at the face but this is absolutely amazing, a truly incredible sight.

Argentina0095.jpg

Argentina0079.jpg

Argentina0083.jpg
Argentina0081.jpg

bw0057.jpg

Back into Calafate aka Disneyland. These places seem to be ordered in kit form, all identikit wooden buildings like every ski resort you've ever been to and it's all a bit fake to me. Within a few miles there are people living in poverty in ramshackle buildings eating mud and worms. Out to rough camp tonight. Ride a few miles out of town, find a bend in the river out of the wind and throw up the tents.

Argentina0097.jpg

What's the date today? April 1st. French try to stick fish to peoples backs, English try to make people look foolish, Argentina tries (and in some cases succeeds) to blow bikers clean off their steely steads. I'm beginning to think that South America is mother nature's weather testing station. When it comes to wind, today seems to be the main event, it's absolutely mental. First 80 miles, new tarmac, leaning at unnatural angles even in a straight line, cornering on a knife edge as the bike is rudely shoved. You know those films you see where there is a huge explosion and people are swept off their feet, well it feels like that, but constant. I seriously consider just stopping as it's too dangerous and its difficult to keep the bike on the road. Faster makes it slightly easier as the momentum is more difficult to dislodge but the even stronger gusts and eddies caused by the surrounding mountains make the whole thing completely unpredictable and shit scary. Round a corner at about 80 over a brow and FUUUUUUUCCK. The piste arrives immediately without warning. My arse attaches to the saddle like a sucker fish and I weave and slew to a more reasonable speed before regaining the ability to breathe. This is the start of the infamous Ruta 40. If 4 is an unlucky number in some cultures then this is 10 times as unlucky. Piste, deep deep gravel, heavily cambered and what we estimate to be an 70-80mph constant crosswind… with gusts you just cannot stand up in. Today is a day I'd like to wipe from my memory, it might take some time to wipe if from my bottom though. I had the full brass band playing all day long. We managed only 100 miles before it became unridable. I saw someone in front just simply blown straight off their bike and into the ditch, nothing he could do about it at all, like being TBoned by a wind lorry. We parked the bikes on stands directly into the wind, it was impossible any other way. You could not get off your bike if you stopped at any way tangental to the wind, it just pushed the bike straight over. One of the BMWs got blown over..not just onto it's side… but fully somersaulted 360 degrees and rolled down a bank like a toy Absolutely mentalist. I came off once and dropped it twice, just at a standstill. You couldn't even raise one leg to put it in gear else you'd be on your arse in a second. I've never experienced anything like it. There were bikes down everywhere all day long, lots of damage and tired riders trying to pick up their bike for the umpteenth time. We try to ride down the more compacted tracks left by the cars but it's like riding on a two foot wide plank at 40mph while american football players practice their 'interference' moves on you, like a motorised version of some suicidal japanese TV show. I don't mind admitting I was absolutely shit scared. I've done a few miles in very bad conditions but none as bad as this. In the end we just have to camp, we're going nowhere in this.

bw0058.jpg

bw0061.jpg

bw0062.jpg
Argentina0107.jpg

Argentina0106.jpg

Argentina0104.jpg

Drive out from the campsite and bugger me if there isn't tarmac 1/2 a mile up the road, lovely lovely tarmac. I love tarmac, I love it completely and utterly. Its smooth black grippyness, it's gentle curves and its secure grip. The tarmac only lasts for 30 miles though, then back to piste we go. I've had enough of this now. My sense of humour got off the bike, unpacked it's stuff from the panniers and walked off into the wilderness. Dunno when I'll see that again. 70 miles of rough stuff later to a fuel station.. or rather a station… no fuel.. well not for sale to anyone not local anyway. Next delivery 4 weeks. Ummmmm, things just get better and better. There is lovely cafe at the station and we sit in the warm and refuel the bodies. We're waiting a while before the backup vehicle arrives, busted. One of the track rods has a problem. One of the riders behind us has had a BIG off too. 75 and down. One busted KTM, one very battered rider. I've seen sheets less white than he is. He was doing 75 on the tarmac and didn't see the change to piste. 75, out of control and off, instantly a dustball hitting a signpost with his head and flying down the road, luckily the post was wood else the outcome could have been very different. He looks like Casper as he hobbles out the truck and in to get some sugar in his body. I thought there was tarmac here but apparently not. Not for another 200k. I'm sitting here in a lovely safe warm cafe, desperately looking for a teleporter. I've put my waiting head on…

bw0063.jpg

We wait until the wind is back up to full strength and the sun is beginning it's descent before we head off, seems a good idea don't you think. Piste is really really bad, deep and with really big stones amongst it, often with the wash from flash rivers left in piles across it. Only thing that could make this worse would be rain… anyway, as we ascend into the rain the ground gets muddy, rutty and very very slippery. The only thing that could make it worse would be snow… anyway, as it soon turns from rain to snow as we go on further. Snow, gravel, mud, road tyres, per fucking fecto.

Argentina0117.jpg

Argentina0122.jpg

Argentina0130.jpg
Argentina0127.jpg

It's getting towards late afternoon. The sun is setting fast. There is a road under construction so we climb on to that. Thing is, the road comes to a bridge, under construction. Lets play guess the next move. Do we A) turn around and use the remaining daylight to get to the next town & a hotel on the piste or do we B) Let some loon try and jump the bridge, drop a meter and snap their chain, just as the sun is going down in the middle of absolutely flecking nowhere. Now don't be hasty, it's not really that obvious is it? I mean why would we take option B? Who would do such a thing?… OK, so we've no backup vehicle, we've not much daylight and we've only got a few tools, and we've only got one option, to fix the chain… This trip is the king dong of all cock ups, what a fecking nightmare. We've camped out the least two nights and the smell of my feet could be detected by a spaniel on Mars. Camping..I'm totally and utterly pissed off at this point. I consider suicide by sitting in a confined area with my socks. I'm serious, why the feck do I get myself in these situations?

Minus 4 last night. We get a blow torch to the campers (By a piece of incredible luck there was a random campsite by the side of the piste with showers and all, and I payed for a very expensive, very very basic but at least under cover 'room') and we're back on the piste again. In the night, disaster number 5002. We got separated from the support vehicle when we tried to go on the road last night. It was coming back to find us in the dark very late after dropping the injured rider in the nearest town miles away. A rider and his pillion riding in front of the truck hit a cow. Another written off bike, two injured riders. We reach Puerto Moreno then we wait, and wait. I must have ticked the 'wait indefinitely' clause. What a total and complete and utter waste of time. The injured rider has to be taken to hospital, assessed, x-rayed, then the insurance contacted and sorted, and apparently we all have to wait. Even though there is a big team of people in charge, more than enough to leave one behind to sort this out and let us get on our way, we have to wait. It's ridiculous, chaos, absolutely shit. You can get a more complete idea of a trip like this by following a new website I've started… www.farcebook.com … I'm putting more coffee in my body than petrol in the bike. Wait….wait… more wait…. I've sympathy for the injured rider but organisation (if you can call it that) like this is just comical. I'm not laughing though, I guarantee that. I'm angry, very very angry. We're 8 days behind schedule after less than 3 weeks on the road. Cake and arse party. Ball up, tits up, fuck up. Complete fucking joke.

Argentina0131.jpg

Lost pretty well the whole day yesterday so now we have to go back onto the interminable Ruta 40 again. They seem to drop little tarmac bombs on some of the 'towns' and the first 20 miles is lovely and smooth. Then it starts again, 80 miles of piste. Big round stones this time, mostly half submerged and solid, ruts, more deep loose gravel and big scary trenches, steep drop offs at the sides. I've blown both fork seals now and the front disks are rattling like a couple of cymbals where they have worn their mountings with all the vibrations but I'm almost past caring. Do the miles in some sort of stupor. After hitting tarmac after so much piste it's hard to relax and actually sit down on the bike. As you head north the road improves, like ridge up a long black tear dripping down the face of the earth. Just the wind to contend with now, constant and relentless. As I ride I usually watch the flora and fauna to gauge the wind's direction and gusts. Weird thing here is there ARE no gusts, the trees are just constantly leaning and never getting a chance to stand up straight. It's not all bad though, we're getting closer to proper mountains, I see them sitting and watching from a distance. The skies here are so huge that there are not enough clouds to fill them so they go for a watercolour effect and spread them thin and high. The towns are getting bigger now too. We go through a ski resort surrounded by HUGE mountains that just seem to rise instantly out of the ground with no warning. High and slab sided monsters.

Argentina0134.jpg

We're late again and chasing the sun. Another BM just cuts out on the road, dead. Its a new 800GS and after a bit of tinkering we have to leave it to wait for the backup and we head off into the dark and the mountains. We get to Bariloche at 10pm, the backup and the GS get in at 4am.

Bariloche is a beautiful town right on the edge of a big scenic lake.. so I'm told. We only saw it at night and on the way out in the morning. We're doing a short day today, even though we're still miles behind schedule, to let the latecomers sleep in. Any group that travels at the speed of the slowest members is going to get nowhere fast. This is supposed to be 'the toughest motorcycle tour on earth' but it's turning out to be more like a Saga special at the moment. First couple of hours it's scenic to the max, absolutely stunning scenery at every turn in the road. I take a couple of photos thinking it'll be like this all day but it soon fades into scrubby brown wilderness as we climb and level off at high altitude.

Argentina0138.jpg

Argentina0137.jpg
Argentina0141.jpg

Argentina0140.jpg

Argentina0142.jpg

Argentina0143.jpg

Wind is up, Eagles are up, spirits are up. Get off the bike to try and snap a wild horse and it's foal. Something starts knocking on the back door, loudly and insistently. EVACUATE, EVACUATE. Down into a big drainage ditch I jump after quickly sticking my hand blindly in a pannier to grab some item of random clothing. The knocking is getting louder and I think the door is about to be kicked in. Clothes are coming off faster than a Sweedish sex scene, they're abandoned all over the ground as the poo pressure approaches bursting point. The meters are all on red, the tubes are all shaking and burping. There is absolutely no way that launch can be abandoned. Just like a James Bond film, at the absolute last minute the exit is cleared and launch takes place in a long cacophony of noise, steam and chocolate mousse. OHHHHH MYYYYYY GOOOODDDDDD how good does that feel? It's worth the loss of a TShirt just to have avoided a muddy meltdown in my leathers. Over to Zapala and the hotel is another Agatha Christie special. All the characters are here. The deaf old bloke doddering around pretending to be frail but who can kung fu chop an elephant to the ground at the drop of a hat.. I tried it. I dropped my hat. One dead elephant. Told you so. This bloke moves with the use of only 3 muscles in his body, I think the rest have already died. He's christened 'Linford Crusty'. There is the mad hostess who feigns not to speak English but whose eyes tell you she was privately educated at Cheltenham ladies college. They're all here. The place is a dark damp warren with shapes that move in the shadows. Still, we all survive the night.. unless some of us later discover that we've become the living dead.

Argentina0144.jpg

Argentina0148.jpg
Argentina0162.jpg

Argentina0147.jpg

We plan to do some more of the Ruta 40 today towards Mendoza. The map looks mountainous, mad and curvy, lovely. Oh, here we go.. plans are changing again. One belligerent scary cat bully rider who wants to be wrapped in cotton wool and bubble wrap has heard there might be more piste on this route and he's busy bullying and playing to get the route changed to avoid it. Selfish bugger gets his way too. I think I've signed up to wing and a prayer tours here, you can't rely on anything, written or verbal. We bend to the bully and spend the most boring day imaginable doing 500 miles across flat featureless, super wind plains while the mountains watch and stick their tongues out at me and blow raspberries. I'm going to have word with him later, he's wasting my life. The only other point of note was some genius advertising, on a young girls bootie. In the US this might read "Come to Fat Fred's,home of the gastronomic gutstretcher' but out here the butts are so petit they have to resort to acronyms

Argentina0195.jpg

In the evening we find an all you can eat, serve yourself dinery and I stuff myself with anything green. Later my intestines thank me by reading me a bedtime story. Tonight it's 'wind in the pillows'.

Argentina0159.jpg

Argentina0160.jpg

Argentina0164.jpg

Argentina0168.jpg

Argentina0169.jpg

Argentina0173.jpg

My front tyre has screamed enough and I have to go to get another one fitted before I go anywhere this morning. It's nothing like the Ushuaia operation though, it's a hole in the wall where a few blokes clothed in grease heave and sweat the tyres onto the rims. One of the poor buggers has 50% of the normal contents of a face missing but he can do a lop sided smile and shake a hand so that's what we do. I leave and ride on ready to take advantage of whatever chances come my way, he stays and lives the rest of his life in poverty with no chance of a chance coming his way. You have to feel guilty about things like that. No one can tell me there is any sense in it. I got born with a bag of lucky stars that obviously included his. Sorry mate.

Argentina0177.jpg

Argentina0178.jpg

Argentina0179.jpg

Out we go through Mendoza then onto the plains north. It's been getting a lot greener the last couple of days with huge fields of wine on the vine and the smell of fermenting grapes fills the air for long periods. There is a lot of poverty here though. I guess it's the farm workers who live in the thrown together mud houses that line the curbs. The roads are strewn with animals turned inside out by collisions with the traffic too, dogs mostly. Despite it all the people still make an effort to make the best of a bad job. It's all quite colourful with little tended gardens often full of flowers and totally devoid of the derelict feel that many shanty towns have. No abandoned wrecks and burnt out vehicles here.

Onto the plains again in the evening. We're definitely getting into the Andes foothills I think. It appears Mr Andes has very big feet. As we approach our destination the sun is throwing huge shadows across the ground in the golden evening light and I watch as two boys race their horses through the sand in a big noisy cloud of dust. The sound of soft galloping hoofs and laughing gets louder then fades as they all disappear towards their home. A truly special and enduring memory.

Let's play the 'get out of town' puzzle again shall we. I'm sure the people that implemented Högertrafikomläggningen when Sweden moved from driving on the left to the right in the space of a single night emigrated to Argentina. I'm sure the road system is different in the morning to what is was the previous night. This is only a small town but it takes 40 minutes on unmarked roads to get out the flippin place.

It's a mountain day today. We're just in the smaller Andes siblings but we still go above 2200m on piste as we cross a small range. FUCK ME the drops are HUGE. Ruta 40 is as wide as a runway one minute with perfect flat tarmac, then a few miles later it's 6 foot wide with loose piste and and death drop on one side, then a few miles later it's back to tarmac again. Spectacular views though.

Argentina0182.jpg

Argentina0181.jpg
Argentina0185.jpg

Argentina0184.jpg

Argentina0186.jpg

Argentina0190.jpg

A lot of the mountains here look like huge piles of old workings from days long gone by. I reckon when the world was under construction that South America was the builders merchants. 'Whata you want eh? We'a got plains, mountains, lakes, deserts. We've got sand, rocks, boulders, earth in every shade of red and brown, anything you want, I got. Whata weather you want to go with that? I got sun, rain, snow, ice and I'm a doing a special on wind at the moment. Extra strong, as much as you like. Buy one getta one free'. I reckon the Swiss came and bought a load of mountains but dropped some on the way home, Africa went overboard on sand and sun and the Dutch turned up with the wrong luggage and ended up with a load of flat pack scenery. England bought a 'lucky dip, bargain bucket' selection box I reckon. Not a bad ride today though and extremely varied. We end up in Catamarca at a hotel where we find fleas and bed bugs queueing up at reception complaining about the standard of accommodation.

Argentina0196.jpg

Argentina0197.jpg

Argentina0199.jpg

Today was a day you wait a long time for and realise just how lucky you are to have the resources to be where you are and doing what you are doing. At first it's no great shakes, everything starts off very lush, green and semi tropical. There is a protest on and the roads are blocked all over the place with makeshift burning barricades. I come to one and they're pointing to the right…towards a little town. I stare..they stare..I stare.. In the absence of further instructions from the crowd and being the owner of both a British passport plus a BMW bulldozer I proceed to approach the barricade. I shunt the front wheel over the top of a old of logs to the right of a burning section then proceed to spin the bike up and over, out and onto the other side. Just like a load of ants when you cut a line in their operation, the locals go into a frenzy and bolster up their defences before the others following on behind can get through.

Argentina0208.jpg

Argentina0209.jpg

The others aren't so keen and opt to take the diversion as do all the others that follow later. The suddenly we're going into the mountains. The road just rises suddenly like a giant staircase into the clouds. Its all very tropical as the we climb, climb and climb up into the sky. Tufts of cloud look like they're caught on the mountains like a piece of wool on a fence. Up, up, up we go, twisting and turning on the tight wet road. Denser, denser, denser get the clouds until they get so thick that you'd have trouble seeing your own pillion. The roads are quite shit, lumpy, uneven and badly scared but when the clouds clear for a second the views are spectacular, like riding through a huge steaming greenhouse. If you've ever ridden 'His Dark Materials' where characters can cross between worlds by using a knife to cut a small gap through, well this is what it's like today. Its cloud, cloud, dense cloud for miles. Tight twisty wet roads with big drops then instantly, and I mean instantly, the whole scene changes to 'the hills are alive with the sound of music'land. It's mental, its wrong, its weird. 10000ft and we've popped out into a parallel planet.

Argentina0220.jpg

Argentina0216.jpg

Argentina0221.jpg

A huge vista stretches out in front of me, complete with lake and rolling hills covered in cows and horses. A huge town appears nestling between the mountain tops that rise still higher around us. This is at above 10000ft - it's wrong, just wrong, especially after the journey up here. The town is a big ski resort/tourist trap and after a quick ride the wrong way round the one way system (yep..err sorry about that) I get out and continue up into the peaks. It's sunny here, cloudless blue sky, but cold and dry. I want to take some pictures of the birds soaring above me. Every time I stop I see their shadows sweeping around me, assessing. I think they look through their little target silhouette handbook and don't see a tall skinny ugly leather clad creature as suitable food so they move on before I can point a camera at them. Very frustrating. Later it's over different mountains, completely different again. Huge cacti and rocky outcrops, then later we descend onto sunny savannah with long green grass filling the horizon. I reckon I've spent the day riding through the 'mountain showroom' of the builders merchants, and very impressive it's been too. Camping tonight in a lovely campsite by some more wine groves. Hot, sandy ground, perfect.

Argentina0261.jpg

Argentina0225.jpg

Argentina0230.jpg

Argentina0231.jpg

Argentina0257.jpg

Last night before bed I asked the builders merchants to knock up a road demo. 'I want the best roads you've got. I want roads like a snaking river bed. Fast and smooth through spectacular mountains and following cool flowing water. I want up, I want down, I want switchbacks and I want some that flow like water over rapids. I want verdant greenery, I want clouds stuck to mountain peaks, I want it all'. 'Sure, no problem' says the man. 'Only thing is, we have no straights left I'm afraid, the Romans came and cleared us out years ago'. The man did himself proud. It was astonishing, fabulous, amazing. A breakfast of fast dry open roads along side the river running through the mountains. Tight and twisty for lunch then in the afternoon it really started showing off. The mountains turned up the scale for a start. Monstrous, absolutely monstrous. The kind you have to move your head to take in, much more than an eye can do alone. The roads too. Absolutely astonishing. A truly fantastic day of riding like I've never had in my life. It was a fitting finale to Argentina. Chile tomorrow. I doubt '' beat this day in a hurry.

Last night I asked the bloke if he had any other roads and mountains for his 'special customers', ones he usually keeps locked away from those who can't appreciate them, the creme de la creme, the absolute 'top of the range'. Well, whatever I thought about yesterday, today he went totally over the top. What a day. What an absolutely stunning day. Over the top of the Andes via Ruta 52. The best a bike can get.

Argentina0263.jpg

Argentina0265.jpg

Argentina0266.jpg

Argentina0270.jpg

Its very difficult to describe a day like today. I need to invent new words, I just can't do it justice. There is absolutely no way to really describe it. Its frustrating that I can't convey the feelings of amazement and elation that riding a road like today can bring. The one way, the only way to understand it is to ride it. There is absolutely no substitute for experience on a day like this, nothing. Over the top of the Andes. Up, up, up and more up. Twist, turn, back, up, up and up. Feels like we're on top of the world. The sky has been scrubbed clean and it's the most piercing blue, it surrounds you, comes at you from all angles. The roads, well the roads are amazing too. Fast and open then tight and steep. the builders merchants have really gone to town today and pulled out all the stops. After a few hours we level off at about 4000m and spend hours and hours riding through dried salt lakes, hugh rocky outcrops, sand dunes, volcanoes, everything.

Argentina0284.jpg

Argentina0275.jpg
Argentina0277.jpg

Argentina0282.jpg
Argentina0285.jpg

Argentina0291.jpg

Argentina0287.jpg
Argentina0289.jpg

We exit Argentina then cross the border into Chile but at this point it is just a sign on the road, the actual border is another 100 miles yet. It's too isolated to have a border post up here (even though Argentina does). Then the real bonkers stuff begins. The road today has to be one to the words best surely, its probably the best I've ever ridden. The Chile section is all new and follows the old dirt road as it drags itself through a very inhospitable landscape in an effort to let you get out of there as soon as possible. From the start of the climb this morning to the seriously bonkers peak just into Chile is 250 miles of the most ridiculous tarmac you'll ever see, not just a 30 mile mountain pass, not a ride through the hills, 250 miles of utter unrelenting mountain madness. After those 250 miles, just like a firework display, the final big bangs start as the show reaches a crescendo. The bikes are really struggling by now, puffing and wheezing and feeling flat. If the scenery here hasn't left you breathless, then the altitude surely will. The road here climbs to 4870m, that's nearly 16000ft. You can feel its effect each time you open the throttle and the old engine tries to compress the thin air. The roads are still perfect and inviting, delicious, just taken at lower speeds. Then it's down, down, and more down. It sounds stupid but it was quite scary. A long straight road to the horizon, looking like it was disappearing into the earth as it lost 3000m as soon as it could. The roadside has bottomless fissures in and an off here would be a bad experience. The lorries coming down on their engine brakes at 10mph for fear of getting out of control. I'm sure you could just coast for the best part of 40 miles as the roads descends to the Chilean desert. Hot to cold to very very hot. We arrive at the customs at San Pedro de Atacama. Customs is an absolute arse. We get there as a bus arrives and disgorges its passengers into huge queues before we can join. It's too hot, far to hot here on the edge of the Atacama desert. As I go through customs I'm with a Norwegian rider who is hewn from solid granite and is the size of a giant giant. He's got a problem because his passport wasn't stamped out of Chile properly earlier. There is a bit of an altercation during which I accidentally cuff the customs lady round the head. There is a tense moment. It could end up with a fat rubber clad finger up my poo tube but luckily the bread lands butter side up and the moment passes. Off to the camp site to pitch under the trees.

Please stay away from John Lewis's pin machine,

So much better having you banging keys here, Loving your Ride reports. Keep it up, :)

Difficult to describe........
"Its very difficult to describe a day like today. I need to invent new words, I just can't do it justice. There is absolutely no way to really describe it. Its frustrating that I can't convey the feelings of amazement and elation that riding a road like today can bring. The one way, the only way to understand it is to ride it. There is absolutely no substitute for experience on a day like this, nothing. Over the top of the Andes. Up, up, up and more up. Twist, turn, back, up, up and up. Feels like we're on top of the world. The sky has been scrubbed clean and it's the most piercing blue, it surrounds you, comes at you from all angles. The roads, well the roads are amazing too. Fast and open then tight and steep. the builders merchants have really gone to town today and pulled out all the stops. After a few hours we level off at about 4000m and spend hours and hours riding through dried salt lakes, hugh rocky outcrops, sand dunes, volcanoes, everything."

You're doing fine.......:thumb2 :D

As luck would have it we appear to have stumbled upon the world woofing competition venue and last night was obviously the final. Dogs from around the world seem to have descended on the place and spent the whole night trying to out bark each other. There seemed to be a lot of fighting amongst the crown to from what I could hear. Consequently, very very little sleep. Breakfast was served in super slow motion so we left late and it was already getting warm as we headed into the Atacama desert. This place is the driest on earth, in some places it's apparently never ever rained. It's a very high desert too, very rocky and and rough here, not big and golden traditional sandy desert like I expected. Hot though, very very very hot. Long stretches of straight road shimmering to the horizon and not much else here. This is the first bit of the traditional Pan American highway that we've done and it's pretty mind numbing for a while.

Chile0001.jpg

Chile0004.jpg

Chile0006.jpg

It's not until later when we come down from the high plains that you see the kind of scenery that the Dakar boys play in with their big expensive toys. Again the scale is hard to describe. Your brain is saying 'surely not' but your eyes are saying 'yep, it really is that big.' The road winds up and down through long canyons. We often go from 2000m down to sea level then back up to 2000m again and it makes you feel a bit strange. The roads have limitless, barrier less falls at the sides. If you go over the edge here you'd probably die of old age before you hit the bottom. Up and down more canyons/super duper sized dunes in the afternoon.

Chile0012.jpg

Lack of petrol is the only damper on the funometer. We get to Arica and end up in a real shit hole in the arse end of town. it's in Prat street. I kid you not. The place is an absolute hovel. 1950s bathroom furniture, beds that you don't want to breath in near, windowless rooms and a general air of neglect and damp. All the surrounding shops have bars across the fronts and the pavements are thick with dirt and unmentionable fluids. Going out has to be done in multiples, I've no compulsion to be a target so a few of us head up to the better part of town and eat before returning to the dark side for a night of sweat and discomfort.

Chile0010.jpg

Out of the shit pit and another day of riotous roads round and and round and up and down the mountains. At first its the big dunes, that's big like a pyramid dunes, big like bring a quarry truck bucket and a 200 foot crane spade dunes. Then the mountains proper begin. The roads get really scary for a while with big off camber bends running off into sharp shadows. I stuck the turtles head out a couple of times when I misread corners and I had to put my foot down once speedway style to pick it up and stop myself meeting rock. Some of this has to do with the altitude. We've been up and down big changes over the last week or so and it really effects your thinking. We've really high today again, between 3 and 4000m and we all feel bad. One bloke says it makes him feel 'dizzly' which is about right. It's hard to concentrate and you seem to have a permanent headache. We go to look for food in a little village perched off to the side and we descend into a cafe who's not had a customer for a month at least. She is lovely lady, a Chilean/Italian cross and we eat her out of house and home. All her coffee, milk, bread, biscuits, sweets, pretty well everything she has available is consumed in a short burst of gluttony and she charges us just a couple of pounds each. Doing random visits like that you meet the absolute nicest people. In an isolated Chilean village you pick a random house and come across a lovely lady who says she is a descendant of italian gypsies, speaks excellent English, feeds you everything she has and charges you virtually nothing, all with a big beaming smile on her face. 'Petrol?' I ask. 'At the hotel' she says. Obviously! We go to the single village shop and ask. Bloke comes to the gate and lets us into the back of the hotel where he serves petrol from a barrel. All part of the experience. Watch the little kids on there way to school in the thin morning sunshine.

Chile0020.jpg

Sometimes a life like this seems almost to tempting to resist but I can bet you freeze your tits off in the winter and have to live on a single biscuit fir months on end. Up to the Chilean boarder. What can you say about the scenery up here? My 'spectaculometer' has been reading off the scale for days and today it's finally broken. It's amazing, the whole place is just stunning. Big, snow covered ex-volcanoes reaching up to touch the clouds, beautiful lakes with pink flamingoes on, limitless blue sky punctuated with Daz white clouds. Mountain hugging roads again, beautifully bendy but at this altitude, rough dangerous with serious pothole acne.

Chile0022.jpg

Chile0024.jpg
Chile0026.jpg

Chile0027.jpg

Out of Chile in an instant. 'Go' says the bloke as we hand over our passports documents. 'No stamp?' 'Go…Finish' says the bloke. Off we go to the Bolivia border 5 miles down the road. 'No stamp' says the Bolivian bloke. These two must play people ping pong all day long for a laugh. Back to the Chile border and find another bloke in another office to get stamped properly, then back to Bolivia. Get the passport stamped in no time, the bikes however are a different matter entirely. Off to portacabin No.1, fill in a form, then it's a treasure hunt arrangement to identify the next stop. There are a maze of alleys and doorways in what looks like an army training building, the kind that the army use to conduct practice raids. It has a myriad of different sized unmarked entrances of varying sizes and darkness and it looks like it's all been shot at an bombed for the last 3 months. Sometimes you wander into people that started their hunts in the 1960 & still haven't found the right doorway. We're lucky, we find the photocopy room somewhere in the bowels after using a combination of GPS, divining rods, lucky heather and a bunch of banknotes. Go get another form then climb through a half height Alice in Wonderland styley doorway halfway up a wall (I kid you not - it was MAD) and up some stairs to a queue. Well queue implies some occasional movement towards and eventual destination but this queue is special. At the head is a woman that looks like the cat in the hat tapping away at a computer/abacas halfbreed. I'm sure I saw a 'Made by Charles Babbage' sticker on the side. Her finger taps are like drips….drip…drip…..shift/drip.. She's not going to get RSI anytime soon that's for sure. It's hot, it's smelly and you can feel yourself getting more and more tense every second. This is definitely another stop on my waiting holiday tour. Eventually, after three stops to shave and two good nights sleep I get to the front of the queue and my details are tap….tap……..tap……tapped in and I can go.. as soon as I get some road tax. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH bollox. '£1 please', 'Are you sure? Why bother?'. Off we go into Bolivia, the poorest nation is South America. Immediately I see the difference in the people, nutty skinned and stunted through generations of malnutrition. The women wearing traditional dress, all bent over and in the fields breaking their backs to scrape a living. We're off to La Paz, the highest capital city on earth tonight. Beautiful scenery dissected by roads made of a thin layer of chocolate. The tracks in the road are so deep you feel like a scalextric car, no steering required.

Bolivia0002.jpg

Bolivia0003.jpg

Bolivia0004.jpg

Reach La Paz towards dark …. go through a toll post and the city's appearance is immediate and stunning down below us. Its virtually indescribable. I've never seen anything else even remotely like it anywhere. The sight of it in the dusk has set my 'amazinometer' right off the scale and there is a involuntary intake of breath as you take the sight in. Imagine a huge bowl, 3000ft deep, miles and miles wide, surrounded by 6000m snow capped mountains. Pour some glue in the bowl then get a few million tiny red lego houses and pour them in. Spin the bowl until the edges are completely covered in the houses, let it set and you have La Paz. Houses stacked on top of one another as far as the eye can see. It must be their Inca origins, but the whole effect is less Machu Picchu, more Mucha PooPoo. The scene looks absolutely unreal, like a film set from the Matrix, it just looks impossible. The roads in look unfeasibly steep but in we go. You know those charity boxes where you put in a penny and it rolls down inside a bowl getting quicker and quicker, well that's the journey in. Down down down, round round round then we reach the point where the penny drops, chaos central. We get a taxi and try to follow but there are one and a half cars for every single car space and people are just everywhere. A bit like India without the cows and donkeys. the bikes are getting really hot, one bike falls. It's impossible to filter unless you're riding a piece of cigarette paper, the gaps are just not wide enough and frequently have people running through them. I get separated. I'm alone….again. Fuck. Get some instructions from a local and head in a general direction, follow my nose, eyes and ears on stalks. Find the place on a 1 in 1 hill and go to park but the garage is full. This is a really lovely 4 star hotel for a change with a nice marble clad reception area. The porter comes out and points to the front door. 'in here' Ok, mate, no problem. I run the old girl over the steps and into reception and park on their lovely shiny floor. Later I move the bike into the ballroom! Thats the poshest garage my bike has ever been in, she deserves it though.

Bolivia0007.jpg

Bolivia0012.jpg

One of the nicest blokes in the group organises a couple of takes to take us out of the city. We'd be here all day on our own. Up up up we go, 1 in 3 or less hills all the way up out of the bowl, like pulling a two hour long wheelie. I reckon 90% of the worlds clutch and brake production must come here. Hot bikes, hot clutches, hot tempers. You can't help but be impressed every time you look behind and its difficult to stop yourself spending most you time doing it - its incredible.

Bolivia0010.jpg

Bolivia0011.jpg

Bolivia0014.jpg

Climb over the rim and use 2nd and 3rd gear for the first time in an hour. We're heading for lake Titicaca today, the highest freshwater lake on the planet at 12,500ft. Out through the fields, someone has definitely spilled a big can of green paint here. It's soooooooo green. Lots of animals on small farms and fields being ploughed by Oxen. Simple hard lives. God only knows what it's like in the winter here though once that snow line starts enveloping this land. We get to Titicaca early. The lake is FLIPPIN HUGE. Get the ferry across part of the lake. Reverse on, ride off. The next 30 miles to Copacabana I award another 'best of breed' gold star to the road.

Bolivia0016.jpg

Bolivia0017.jpg

Bolivia0025.jpg
Bolivia0029.jpg

Bolivia0028.jpg

Bolivia0031.jpg

This is their primary source of tourist income and the road is new. Fantastic sweeping barrierless bends with the views of the lake trying to seduce you over the edge and into the deep blue cool water. What a ride, what an truly amazing ride. Get to Copacabana quite early and into a hotel on the lakes edge. Talk about room with a view! How lucky am I? Walk around the small town and watch the kids out of school having a running race through the streets, at 3800m. I can barely breath and they're running, laughing and don't look bothered in the slightest. Sit on the waters edge and watch the reed boats land on the shore accompanied by a beautiful rose coloured sunset.

Out of bolivia in a flash then into Peru. The 'people' part of getting your passport stamped is always the easy bit but it it's the bikes that always cause the problems. This time they have a computer that is powered by money. It seems it will just not work unless you put a 29 Peruvian Soles note in your passport. Perhaps when the bloke takes the note and slips it under the desk there is a little furnace that burns the note and powers the computer - weird. I'm glad I've not got one of those at home, it would cost me a flipping fortune. The thing is, we don't have the right (or in my case, any!) insurance and the little bloke says he can 'overlook' the issue and give us the necessary paperwork if we can 'help him out'. It always astounds me when government officials ask for bribes but I doubt it will be the last time we do it on this trip. And if you were wondering where Jabba the Hut went after they finished filming Star Wars the wonder no more. He is working at the Peruvian border with Bolivia, his huge fat face pressed up against a glass partition with drool running down the inside. I'm sure I've got a dribble in my passport.

Peru0003.jpg

Peru0006.jpg

Peru0007.jpg

Off into Peru I go. It looks a lot more affluent than Bolivia already. The same farming seems to be practiced and the ladies with the small bowler hats are everywhere. What is it with these hats? Did they all used to have tiny heads or do they all worship at the Church of Stan Laurel? I just can't see the point. Either way, they're all extremely camera shy that's for sure.

On towards Cusco, the home of Machu Picchu. The roads vary from smooth and fine to the shittiest tarmac on earth with 2 million potholes per 100 meters. It's true, I counted, twice. Approaching Cusco and it descends into car carnage again. Its quite difficult to describe this part of the journey. First you need to get a 10000000watt spotlight to simulate the sun, then place it on the horizon and aim it directly into your eyes. Next, get yourself a giant tarmac woodpecker and let him loose for a couple of weeks to reek his havoc, then put gravel on a lorry with square wheels and have it drive round to randomly deposit it's slippery mess in huge skiddy pebble puddles. Delete ALL the road markings and signs then go to battersea, grab all the dogs and let them loose. Now tell 50000 drivers that the first one to Cusco wins £10000 and there you have it, simples.

Peru0012jpg
Peru0016jpg

Peru0015.jpg

Peru0017.jpg

Peru0019.jpg

How we get through these places without an accident sometimes really surprises me. We get a taxi on the outskirts and follow it in. It's all narrow cobbled streets and steep hills. We're following the taxi down a damp cobbled street when he jumps on the breaks. SHIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT. My brake light stopped working so the other day I disconnected the back brake light switch to see if that was the fault. I also mistakenly disconnected the ABS sensor so I don't currently have any ABS, THANK GOD! Karma has disabled my ABS and lets my wheel lock and slide for a second till I touch a kerb and stop. ABS would have put me straight into the back of the taxi without slowing down. We get to the hotel then once again drive all the bikes through reception and into the courtyard of the converted nunnery.

Peru0035.jpg

Day off in Cusco, and we were all obviously expecting to be able to visit Machu Picchu but no… it takes more than 24 hours to do the trip and has to be booked a few days in advance. Such has been the chaos, the fact that we're only here a day, and the fact that we seldom know where we're going to be more than one or two days in advance means that we can't go. None of us are happy, but none of us are surprised either. It's just another organisational cockup to add to the ever growing list. Pity though, we've come a long way. The locals have got the whole operation covered and it's pretty well impossible to organise the trip yourself. Everyone tells us it's 'difficult'. There are about 15 changes of train/coach/donkey/piggyback involved and you have to get everything right. Pretty well the only way to do it is to pay £280 and go through a tour operator. They book all the train tickets in advance so there are no spare for 'DIY'ers like ourselves. Never mind, take a wander round Cusco and try not to be accosted or robbed. It's quite a crime hotspot and there are police everywhere. It's a nice town with the narrow streets, cathedrals and citadels. Lots of overpriced tourist tat too though. I go to an indoor market - total sensory overload, with the smells taking precedence. Meat to mint to pealed potatoes to lilies to sweat to musk in seconds. Dark alleyways with people sat on the floor selling god knows what. Guinea pigs , cows noses, peeled frogs, whatever your table requires is on sale.

Peru0020jpg

Peru0031.jpg

Peru0033.jpg

Peru0030.jpg

I need my haircut, badly, so I go looking. The town is full of massage parlours, all above board you understand, no 'happy endings'… One of them says they cut hair so up I go. Its clear the girls are absolutely clueless. They can't even clip the grade 4 to the clippers. When I said I wanted a haircut badly, I think I've come to the right place. Once they've finally attached the grade 4 and then, after another search, found the switch, they're off. They're giggling and jabbering to each other and they each have a go clipping. One of them hasn't worked out that the clippers are actually touch your head and she just waves it about at bits of hair that are sticking out. Imagine giving a flymo to a blind gardener and letting him loose on a football pitch, the effect would be the same. 'Random' would be a good word. I look like a tom cat that's gone 15 rounds with 'Bite, The Tabby, Tison' the big ear chewing bruiser next door. Then they get the cut throat razor out do do my neckline. JEEEEESUS! They put foam on my neck and neck and in comes the blade. Any second now they're going to cut my neck muscle, my head os going to flip forward and I'm going to be staring at my nipples. It's a life or death situation for sure. In the nick of time, the main madam comes in and the girls suddenly look like kids caught playing with their mum's make up. She tidies me up and takes all the tufts off and I'm just about presentable in public. Spend the rest of the day walking in the shadows, looking for a hat.

Cusco to Nasca - what can I say about today? How can I assemble letters on a page that can reflect a day like this? Today was a ridiculous day of epic proportions, just ridiculous, for lots of reasons. Just start with the road. This is getting like the tallest building in the world scenario. One is finished, declared the highest, then another is immediately being built. Now I declared Ruta 52 between Argentina and Chile the finest I'd seen but today it pales into insignificance with this route. It appears that when Peru went to the builders merchants for corners it bought every horseshoe bend in the place. Then it made a mould of its own and used a very efficient machine capable of producing the bends in infinite numbers, then it dropped the whole lot in this region and left them to tumble and fall amongst the mountains. It's mental. The first 120 miles is through jutting mountain peaks, twisty turny switchbacks every inch of the way. Up up and more up, then down down and down again. 90% smooth tarmac but 10% polished turns/piste/rough road/potholes to keep you on your toes, especially when the piste starts halfway round a blind downhill bend… The morning is a mixture of fun and frolics punctuated by front and rear wheel slides and close encounters with the sides by some of the riders. Afternoon is a roller coaster alongside a wide fast running river.

Peru0043jpg

Peru0044.jpg

Peru0050.jpg

Peru0048.jpg
Peru0052.jpg

Peru0051.jpg

Peru0054.jpg

Late afternoon is where the real fun begins. First up at 4500m again for a while in the freezing cold and wind along the high Andes plain. Down we come, fast and hard into a freakshow town. It's dusk and the mountains between us and the destination are clouded in angry dark clouds with lightening forking down amongst the peaks every few seconds…great. We eat at a 'restaurant' that has about 2000 seats but is solely operated by a boy who looks about 20 but sounds about 5. The rest of the residents look like they spend their days sleeping in coffins as they test the light and peer out of doorways at us. Up we go into the storm. It quickly becomes clear that the surface up here is 'unreliable'. The roads are often covered in swathes of gravel, probably washed onto the roads from recent storms, and the only safe, useable area is right down the middle which is being shared by traffic in both directions. Then someone immediately turns the dark to pitch black and we're enveloped by the jet black clouds heavy with evil rain. Lots of steep switch back blind bends and corner 'guessing', fighting with trucks and oncoming traffic, looking through steamed up visors..then….what's that?… ummmm… that'll be snow. Pitch black, snow and gravel on the road, perfect. Tiptoe on through the snow and continue climbing before the snow turns to big hailstones. The storm is still raging all around us and the hail is being driven by a strong wind. After an hour or so we pop out the back of the storm and finally begin our decent into the town with the warm beds we're all dreaming of. It's dry here thank God and a little warmer to dry out my hail/snow soaked leathers. It's switchback city again. Sometimes tight, sometimes with HUGE radiuses that take you round forever, then they get really really tight and very very steep with invisible drops licking their lips at the thought of a tasty biker meal. The descent is a surreal experience. The weather has slowed everyone down and we're riding as a big group together. You know that bit in ET where lots of people with torches chase ET in the woods. Lots of random torch beams dancing around in the dark. Thats what the descent is like. You can see the beams of other riders in the switchbacks above you and they play shadow games to confuse you as you desperately search for the tarmac just out of reach of your own beam. Beams cross and uncross, disappear and reappear as they navigate the blind descent and avoid the drops. It's a pretty fucking scary 30 minutes to be honest. Eventually we get to Nasca and our beds at 9pm. 7:30 start, 9pm finish, and in between 400 miles, that's 400 miles of the most constantly twisty road I've EVER ridden. It's too much for one day, its madness. Nothing compares to that, it's the new No.1.

Peru0060jpg

Peru0056.jpg

Out of Nasca and off to the viewing tower to see the famous Nasca lines in the desert. All the shapes can be seen from a small plane but all the planes are booked today. We should have booked in advance..again. I'm carrying a pillion today. Another rider has a tyre problem so I'm carrying his girlfriend for the day. We go out to look for the tower. I'm expecting a huge concrete structure with a lift and maybe a glass floored viewing platform, what we see is a 30ft construction that looks like it was made in a 6th form metalwork class. Climb up and take a look at a few shapes close to the road but they look more like the work of a drunk local out to make a few quid than mystic scribes from a far bygone race. Out we go across the desert as it runs close to the Pacific. Eagles cruise up and down the huge roadside dunes like sand surfers ridding the onshore winds as they drive up the slopes. The sea has a misty blanket that rolls over us and cools our hot metal friends in the heat of the day. 50 miles outside Lima we meet up with a group of Harley riders that are going to guide us to our secret destination. It always looks weird to me to see foreign people in full Harley regalia. Leather, high heals, tassels, the lot.

Peru0072jpg

Not my scene at all I'm afraid. I'm a pretty antisocial creature and I hate being forced into social situations against my will. Gimme a gun and I'll do the world a favour… They lead us into Lima and through the usual chaos, out the other side and to someone's weekend house in the money district. Just before we get there a motorist suddenly pulls out to overtake something coming towards me. Clear road, blocked road in an instant. I lurch right and my pillion lets out a little scream as we feel the wind of the car pass just past our knees. She's an absolutely perfect pillion and and instantly reacts exactly as the rider does so it's all over in an instant. The following rider later told me he thought it was 'game over'. Luck, it's weird how it doles itself out and who gets the prizes, but I'm thankful today for sure. We get to our hosts house late that evening. He was the top man for Nestle and Nibisco in Peru and his weekend abode is a beautiful house in the posh end of town and what a house it is too. Pool, beautiful garden, tennis courts (2), basketball court, a windmill, servants. Blimey! They've done a huge meal too. They're obviously well used to hosting big parties, not surprisingly. We're all in sweaty bike gear and being served canapes by servants in pressed uniforms. If I took my boots of there is a 1 in 2 chance of killing all the expensively manicured fauna in a 20 mile radius. I'm sure I can feel my socks humming to themselves as we tuck our way through the courses. Free booze too, not that I partake you understand, but it soon has the more babble orientated riders in 'Ibiza' mode in the pool. The host is an extensively travelled motorcyclist himself and gives us a night to remember and never to be forgotten. Camping out on the warm squashy lawn is like a huge comfy bed.

After a day of R&R and fettling, today we have to go through Lima and north. The host knows the city intimately and says we HAVE to leave by 6:55 otherwise it will be utter chaos. We leave at 6:56 and are quickly introduced to the Lima edition of 'Carmagedon, a game for a million people'. Rules are easy, no rules. No quarter is given, no mercy, no fear and no hesitation. White lines are…well…I'm not sure what white lines are for as they're universally ignored. 3 lanes marked, 5 lanes used. Cars, buses, lorries just drift about like pieces of flotsam finding the path of least resistance down a fast flowing river of metal. You can be riding alongside something, right next to the drivers door and it will just start coming towards you. Loads of the traffic seems to drive with the hazards on too just to confuse matters. I've never ridden is such aggressive traffic anywhere. You see a driver see you then pull out straight in front of you. A driver can chop you up mercilessly then open his window for a chat with you. Two hours, 20 miles, then 'Carmagedon' turns into 'Tartris'. That's like Tetris only played on tarmac. The object is to weave into and through gaps as the different shaped and sized vehicles move down the road. Filtering is impossible but you float through the holes in the traffic like a bubble trying to find the surface. You eyes scan constantly like that light on the front of Night Riders car 'Kit', constantly assessing each threat and calculating the appearance and risk as they appear and shut. One mistake and it's flashing blue lights and 'game over'. This is a game for 20 players too and it's a 360 degree, all action experience. Finally the traffic thins and we're out on the PanAmerican heading north. Roads climb again through MASSIVE dunes built and maintained by the constant stream of sand whistling across the road, driven by the strong on shore wind. Now and then an oasis of green appears but it's mostly scorch, dry and very windy today. Peru is a huge country and we've got a way to go yet. It seems to have everything here and I'd like to come back some day for a better look.

Peru0074jpg

Peru0082.jpg

This whole journey is like driving through the layers of a sponge cake. As we move up through the continent we see everything from desert to lush tropical vistas. Today its the desert. Not too big this one but pretty hot. Somewhere between 35 and 40 degrees. It's too hot for the clouds and the most expensive item on the menu is a shadow. A strip across the sand with the dunes rushing across from one side in their usual horizontal waterfall style in the wind. Every time a truck passes in the opposite direction you're treated to an exfoliation using high speed sand blasting.

Peru0103jpg

Peru0106.jpg

Peru0104.jpg

Peru0105.jpg

Lots of small strip villages with rows of 'houses' along the road. One storey, one window, one door. I feel very much like the 'have' next to the 'have nots'. They still have bars across their windows though to keep out the 'have nothings'. How low does the human food chain go out here? Peru seems generally to be a reasonably affluent country, and more so the further north you go. When we came in from Bolivia the ground was being worked by hand in the traditional way but up here the fields are tended mechanically. We even see a crop dusting plane buzzing the fields. They certainly have enough police anyway, there are traffic policemen EVERYWHERE. We're in big group today and it seems to dissuade them from giving us grief. Others have been fined for nothing and the support truck was stopped 6 times yesterday and fined twice. Perhaps it's the only thing keeping the economy going, just like the UK. Chase the tarmac up to Mancora, a resort on the pacific coast. Today's hotel is not bad at all. Reflection pool,beautiful food, thatched rooms that look directly onto the warm ocean, nice! Swim in the oh so warm water, eat, then sit in a hammock and listen to the waves roll in in the dark.

Peru0129jpg

Peru0125.jpg
Peru0128.jpg

Peru0127.jpg

Peru0130.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. Good photographs and a 'quirky' (read different) writing style. Nevertheless an enthralling read.

What an adventure, Cracking pictures and report.......... :beerjug:

What a beautiful nights sleep, 30 feet from Pacific waves singing their crashing melodies all night. We're up at 6 and watch the sun rise. Big black pelicans cruise the water while huge prehistoric friggot birds surf the morning thermals amongst the boats bobbing in the harbour. Peru is running out fast. 60 miles along the coast and the temperature is rising with each km as we inch towards the equator. One of the riders has been attacked by midges and has comedy ankles that he can hardly walk on so I have the pleasure of his girlfriends company. I'm getting to like this pillion lark. The heat is too much for her unfortunately (or my riding is too bad) and she takes the support truck after a couple of hours. I think it went over 100 degrees today and very humid, just the conditions you need for crossing borders in a mobile leather solar panel. Out of Peru is easy peasy. Passport to Ecuador is easy. Bike into Ecuador is like having someone with a tiny pin hammer driving a rusty 6 in nail through your knob. It's absolutely sweltering and we've reached 'wait central'. This is where I'm going to send my waiting holiday reps for training. It's so depressing. What ever you do, don't sell up everything, move to South America and spend all your life savings setting up a clinic specialising in RSI. You'll get less than one customer…ever. The border has a computer again but it appears to be run on a combination of AAA batteries and a hampster/wheel arrangement. The hamster is on a tea break, sat in his chair watching telly, scratching his balls and belching. You can see a huge queue of people in front of you. You multiply the number of people by the processing time per person and you might well spend the rest of your life here. In fact they have a retirement party for the clark whilst we're waiting. He was only 17 when we arrived. Out…eventually… and into Ecuador. It's immediately different again. I don't know what I expected but it wasn't this. It's very first world. Lots of lovely houses, affluence, new cars, proper petrol stations with cafes. Ring roads, sign posts, all the things you need and we've been missing the last few weeks….and mountains..of course..and heat! Sweaty, close, damp, sunny. Through the mountains…again. Good roads…again.. only with very large areas of piste again on the high (its all relative at this altitude though) roads. Big 'yomps' too. One of them launches my topbox off the bike and high into the air like a big aluminium bouncing bomb. It explodes and sends my stuff all over the place. I have to run about picking up my pants as locals look on… oh how embarrassing! Get to Azogues just after dark. I'm just so surprised at this place, its lovely, absolutely fantastic. Big town punched on the side of a hill with a big church at the top. Take a walk around in the dark amongst the old houses and squares. All is quiet here, everyone is in a sports stadium playing crowd noises like a giant concrete loudspeaker. Cross the equator tomorrow.

Up and out of Azogues. Up into the Ecuadorial mountains. Big and beautiful buggers in every shade of green and grey. The first 100 miles is astounding. Clouds sit and lap right up to the roads edges. Perfect morning with the roads sunny side up and cloudy side down which is just how I like them served.

Equador0009.jpg

Equador0018.jpg

Equador0014.jpg
Equador0020.jpg

Equador0021.jpg

Equador0022.jpg

The roads are either 100% grade1 tarmac or shitty piste come 300 year old tarmac. They're working hard on it though and it's paying off. It reminds me a lot of Croatia/Slovakia, but run down in places but largely up together and very beautiful.

Equador0025.jpg

Equador0026.jpg

As we approach the capital Quito the traffic inevitably gets heavier, much much heavier. You start doing things you'd never do at home. Overtaking lorries on blind bends, on double white lines, overtaking cars that are overtaking cars. It's all very aggressive but all the traffic seems to know its place in the pecking order and it works ok I guess, most of the time. I wouldn't fancy being spread all over the road down here though! Through the capital and it's nice to see the Pan American signs confirming our route. We end up in the fantastic Hacienda Guachala. Built in 1535 its a beautiful old building with 2 foot thick walls and open fires in every room, two chapels and 500 year old graffiti/murals on the walls.

Equador0031.jpg

Equador0036.jpg

Equador0034.jpg

Equador0040.jpg

Equador0030.jpg
Equador0046.jpg

Quick stop at the equator for a picture then off towards Columbia. Through more and more beautiful scenery and 100s of miles of beautifully surfaced constant radius bends..again. Now I know I should love all this but SOMETIMES I JUST WISH THEY'D BUILD A FUCKING BIG BRIDGE SO I CAN MAKE MORE THAN 2 INCHES PROGRESS PER 10000 BENDS! SOMETIMES I JUST FUCKING BLOODY WANT TO GET SOMEWHERE. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that's better. Out of Ecuador, lovely place, lovely lovely place. Todays border is brought to you by the letter W. W is for wait, wait, WAIT. Its also for wanker, waster, what when who and why. Every border we cross they have to fill out a computer page with the bike details on, fine. We're at a stage when we could do it ourselves now. Now we appear at the Columbian customs (after getting ripped off by a money changer at passport control - My fault - I fell for a con, but I still hope the bloke dies a tragic, horrible, protracted, painful and embarrassing death) and the two blokes initially get to the computer and start. The place is quite modern, good computers, ESPN on TV, new chairs and stuff. I'm thinking this will be ok for a change but as soon as the bloke sees how many people he's dealing with he just gets up and goes outside…for an hour…and a half. He's doing nothing, we're doing nothing. He says he's called for more help and rather than starting the work he's decided to just wait instead. I just want to ring the little fakers neck. In my head he's got a knife between his eyes. His mate is doing even less. He's employed to stare out the window. He just stares and stares and stares out the window. He stares all day, that's his job. So with Capitan Starey and the work sky wanker doing the sum total of sod all we just wait. Some time later someone else arrives and some time later still he starts actually putting fingers to keys. We arrived in this office at 12 at the front front of a queue of 0. I leave at 4. We've had to cut the day short because of the delay.

As we pull away from the customs a police convoy comes through. Two police outriders complete with pillions carrying what look like anti-aircraft weapons, probably some sort of sub-machine gun. They've got some trucks containing something or more likely someone important and they push and barge their way through the traffic. They get ahead and we decide to follow. We're winging along like ambulance chasers, whipping through the traffic at high speed. They've got their lights on and they're not stopping for anyone. We're following and we don't care. It's all a bit surreal. We're in Columbia following an armed police escort, we're breaking all the speed limits and every rule of the road.

Columbia0002.jpg

Columbia0004.jpg

We come to some roadworks - they simply go through against the single file traffic down twisting blind cornered roads and simply push everyone else out the way…so we do too. Bizarre. We come to a point that is obviously an ambush pinch point. You know that scene in the Italian Job where the hills are covered by Mafia men with guns? Well that's the scene here. There must be 20 to 30 heavily armed police lining the road and the hills to both sides as we all rush through without touching the brakes. Columbia here is very beautiful. More twisting roads cut into the sides of steep sided mountains, no straights more than 200m long, no time for pictures if we want to hang with the federalies though and get our groove on after the customs delay. We get to Pasto and get mobbed when we stop. Very friendly people, all taking pictures, asking questions and sitting on the bikes. A nice welcome to somewhere I thought would be a scary intimidating gun and drug fest. Maybe that'll be tomorrow. Lovely hotel tonight though, definitely an atmosphere after dark though. All the ATMs have armed guards for a start.

Columbia0007.jpg
Columbia0012.jpg

We get up and go at 6 today to make up the mileage we missed yesterday. If you have to take the rough with the smooth then we've had the silk and satin and today we get the sackcloth. We're high in the mountains and we have to descend. It's raining hard, but not hard enough to wash away the oil slick sitting down the middle of the road the whole morning. The slippery black sweat from the trucks crawling up the hills is a constant threat and the road often looks more like a mechanics garage floor than a thoroughfare for bikes. Then back up into the sky for a few hours. The roads are absolutely shit, as bad as tarmac gets. Pissing rain, very very warm, steamy and misty, potholes everywhere and visibility is next to nothing. Guess the lines, feel your way. The scenery at this altitude is simply awesome, and I don't usually use that word. The mountains disappear for thousands of feet below the road, low clouds fill the vast valleys and follow our route for miles like soft fluffy rivers off into the distance. You'll have to imagine though, no time for photos today and it's absolutely titting down. Tuned into the weather, the roads and the bends you just don't want to stop. As we descend the rain stops and everything goes 'rain forest'. Cowboys on horseback herding cattle, lovely houses with proper, well tended front gardens full of bright exotic flowers. Life by the roadside. Kids, animals, dogs. The road is a peach though. It give the sensation I'd expect from sitting on a pissed off bull. Bucking and weaving and trying to throw me off it jumps and dodges through the scenery in a 2 hour burst before it finally runs out of steam and calms down, tamed at last. Columbia is a weird place. So much more developed than I imagined it would be. There are garden centres, public swimming pools, holiday parks, all the infrastructure you'd expect of a first world country, and this isn't just in the big towns and cities either, its everywhere in the populous places. It seems to have emergency services too. Much much more than I ever thought. Lovely friendly people too. I've not felt really threatened so far either and it seems quite a happy place. Maybe I'm just getting used to the higher level of threat down here though. I've no doubt there is danger not far away if I go looking for it. I've not seen any of the shanty towns or vagrancy that is so prevalent in a lot of the other countries either.

Somehow I get slip from the others, I take a wrong turn and get lost way off track for a few hours. Not the 'where the fuck am I' kind of lost, more the 'bollocks I've gone the wrong way and I'm way off course' kind. I've got to go through a huge town and I'm having trouble navigating out. The place is absolutely teeming with bikes. Columbia is very highly populated by two wheel transport. All the bikers have to wear vests with their plate ID on and it has to be on the back of their (plain, black mostly) helmets too. I think its to cut down bike related naughtiness….like drive by shootings… The riders and their pillions all have to be identifiable at all times. I can just imagine the 'al the gear and no idea' boys going for that back home. The bikes are all quite small and the riders swarm round my big old bus like pilotfish round a shark. They help me out of the city and back on track. I'm often asked if I'm riding alone though - which sounds a bit intimidating sometimes. Later I meet up with some of the others. Another puncture. Off with the wheel and the rider comes pillion with it in search of help. We find a bloke who does tractor tyres - that'll do. He's done in 10 minutes. Fits a new tube we have with us and fixes the old one. 'How much?', '£1'. I never get used to that sort of thing.

Columbia0016.jpg

Columbia0021.jpg

Columbia0023.jpg

There is a serious storm brewing. On the horizon a black strip of evil cloud is busy striking out at the ground, the air is thick and moist with the smell of oncoming rain. It's only 130k to go, easy right? It's never easy. First we run headlong onto the storm and the rain. Proper rain. 'Black rain' as they would call it in Hong Kong. If you stood under an umbrella would feel like you were in a tubular waterfall and wouldn't be able to see out kind of rain. It's bouncing a foot off the road. It's the 'i'll just stop and put on my waterpr… bugger… too late' kind of rain. I'm wearing leathers, they're waterproof right? You don't see cows run to get their coats every time it rains do you? Well that only works if there is blood pumping through them, right now they're just a sponge. My boots fill quickly and my crotch is mimicking a pensioners at a drinking contest. Open the visor…shut that quick… looks way to scary out there. A visor gives a peculiar sense of security, like shutting a car door.

Columbia0025.jpg

Follow the shapes and keep between the lumps on the sides, the road is awash. After 40km the storm passes and the hot sweaty afterglow takes over. 90km to go. Easy right? Right, unless someone puts a 10000ft mountain in your way. Shrouded in cloud, dark, steep, tight and slippery. Up we go again. Massive diesel motors scream in agony as they pull heavy lumps of metal and flesh up into the sky. The more modern buses simply fly up, turbos screaming fit to burst as they throw them up conserving every ounce of momentum round the bends. These drivers know the road well and you best keep out their way. The trucks crawl up the slopes like shot soldiers on their last breath, chugging on the edge of a stall in their lowest gears. We get near the top and the clouds have all pushed themselves together to make it harder still. Visibility is down to 20 feet max. Hairpins, trucks, soaking roads and heat. We see a sign, 45km, easy right? Ummmm, I'm sure you're getting the picture by now. The descent is insane. It has to be the inspiration for the most scary coasters on the planet. It's not easy to describe though. The bends are mostly steep and tight but often the surface is both up and down so its like a wooden coaster, you're always getting a mixture of positive and negative G forces combining with the ridiculous corners. I've been round the Nurburgring and it reminds me of some of the corners on that, except this is whilst trying to loose 1000s of feet of altitude at the same time. The whole thing is frankly, just fucking ridiculous. For 30 miles there are absolutely NO straights, none, less than one, bonkers. The handlebars are not allowed to sit still for a second. Bends constantly buck and drop and turn trying to shed altitude. It dries out towards the end at least but the bends just get even tighter. Every right turn your head is within a few feet of a solid rock face, every left is the constant possibility of meeting a retired rally driver bringing a bus up. To be fair, they are trying to deal with it. There are huge bridges being built to jump the huge chasms and they tower above as as we spin round the rock faces. Eventually it will be a lot better but for now all we can do is concentrate on the job in hand. We eventually get to the town in the darkness, follow a taxi and end up in a menacing district with dark allays and roads where the ghosts and baddies live then strangely end up at a really nice hotel. We go out for a walk to try and find an ATM. We walk, which turns into a trot, then a canter and a jog as the perceived threat seems to rise. Almost certainly my imagination though, I cancelled my spider sense subscription years ago.

Wake up to rain again. Same as at home, it's only so green because it rains so often. IBauge is on a hill. It's thundering, lightening, and there are instants rivers everywhere. As we ride through the town we're riding along the hillside and every cross junction is like a river crossing, the torrents flow down the hill and we have to ride across in water up to out ankles.

Columbia0027.jpg

Columbia0028.jpg

It's a strange sensation, every puddle is of indeterminate depth and some are big enough to count as mini lakes when Columbia does the next map census. I've got a pillion again today, another biker. You always feel 'under assessment' with a rider on the back. I just can't see a thing for the first 30 minutes. Traffic is heavy, super heavyweight in fact. Crawling towards Bogota we have to go through some more mountain twisties for a change. The bike keeps on cutting out for some reason too and I keep having to try restarting it…going down mountains..in the wet. Pull the clutch in for an instant and it often just stops - a little bit annoying. All the road markings are brand new too. The lines seem to be made from a mixture of vaseline and body lotion and even Torvil and Dean would have trouble standing up on them. Sliding round with the pillion in the mountains was a very relaxing experience indeed. Get to Bogota. This is a place i NEVER expected to ever come, especially on my old british registered bike. This is the capital so the chaos has a capital C. Again, they're trying to sort it out but the all the roadworks are just a car park. You feel like you're in the road 'penny shove' machine again as the traffic piles and pushes ever tighter behind you. The only thing to distract me was my totty RADAR. It was looking like a pearl harbour attack, the screen was simply a big green blob with targets at all distances at every angle. I challenge anyone to amass so much totty in such a small area. Flippin heck…flippin flippin heck.. amazing. I think they must have a totty factory round here somewhere. I wonder if they've got any jobs going?

Columbia0032.jpg

Columbia0036.jpg

Eventually get to the cargo freighters at the airport. Both we and the bikes have to fly over the Darien gap to Panama. These things are ALWAYS a ball ache. 6 hours waiting today - not too bad today. Taxi to the hotel. It's dark and the freaks are out again. The taxi driver tells us to close all the windows and keep your arms down. The baddies will spot a target then reach in and grab what they can see, opening the doors or braking windows if necessary. The area we're in looks dodgy with a capital Dodge. The hotel looks like a bail hostel. Smelly, damp, cell like rooms with a curtained off toilet and shower in the corner. The foam mattresses and pillows have plastic covers and are wafer thin after supporting 1000s of bodies and its pretty scary. We're all carrying large bundles of cash and have 'victim' tattooed on our foreheads. We'll have to be a bit careful round here.

No sleep…at all. The mattress has been laid upon by half the criminal population of Columbia, so that's pretty well half the population of Columbia per se then. It's wafer thin and smells…of….stuff. I can't bring myself to expand upon what 'stuff' might be though. This hostel is shit. It's a hole. Not the best place to be certainly in a place like Bogota. Get a taxi to the cargo company. Taxis are weird round here. They don't have a meter, the use a chart. You pay the price from district to district no matter how long it takes. All these schemes are to cut down on fraudulent and criminal activity I suspect. Its a good idea though. They recruit the taxi drivers from the terminal diseases ward at the local hospital, every one of them has a death wish. The taxis are typically very small Daewoos and Hyundais. The people themselves are generally pretty small too and the taxis are a bit of a tight fit for us. If you sit in the front seat you have the sun visor against your nose. We arrive at the cargo terminal at 7:30. This will be the last stop on my waiting holiday, the ultimate waiting experience. We have to sign two pieces of paper and have the police check the luggage with their sniffer dogs. How long should that take? Answer…8 hours. Somewhere in that 8 hours we all have 5 minutes work to do. I'm flabbergasted. It was as truly amazing exhibition of work dodging as I've ever seen in my life. I almost clapped them for their skill and expertise. It was just un-be-fucking-lievable.

Columbia0037.jpg

Columbia0038.jpg

On the way back into crime central its pissing down…again…. Near the hotel I see a surreal sight. There is a woman in the street, under an umbrella. Every person around her looks normal as they head back from work in the rain all dressed in their work clothes, as is she. She is tall, dark and slim, long shiny black hair, very attractive. She's wearing high heals. Red, latex, thigh length boots with high heals…together with thin back lace knickers and bra. How do I know that? Because she is wearing absolutely nothing else. A woman of the night out early. Keeping herself dry under the umbrella, strutting up and down the street looking for business. She certainly doesn't look cheap…or cheerful. Maybe someone has invited her to our 'hotel'. We fly to Panama tomorrow. I'm running out of time, I don't think I'll get to Alaska. I'll probably have to cut and run to New York as soon as we reach the US. Pity but I've ridden to Alaska before so that's not so bad. If this thing had been planned properly it wouldn't have been an issue which grates with me.

A morning in Bogota, very cosmopolitan. Breakfast in a coffee bar with all the choices you'd expect from a coffee nation. I could sit and just sniff the air all day long in these places. The food is all cheese/bread based though - I want eggs and bacon! The streets are humming, everywhere you go there are people selling air time by the minute on mobile phones. People stand with mobiles chained to themselves and let the users have a quick cheap chat. 200 pesos a minute. All very enterprising. This part of Bogota is nice but there is still an atmosphere, like you're walking a narrow path of safety. It's good to experience these feeling though. Most modern cities just leave me cold but this one keeps your consciousness keen and on the ball. Out to the airport and on to Panama City. The Darien Gap slides underneath us in the dark, it's tangled web of swamp and jungle dodged in the night. In Panama its raining SERIOUS. Thunder every few seconds, lightening, flooded roads. It goes on all night. the hotel is right on the edge of an extremely rough area but is a very nice place indeed despite looking like a converted prison block. Money is not very far from muck round here and the owner is speculating that good will triumph over evil and push the money district towards and beyond this place. I hope he's right.

Panama0001.jpg"

Go to get the bikes from customs. It's still titting down,the humidity is something like 99.9999% and it's 30 odd degrees. Even my tongue is sweating. All the usual nonsense ensues. It seems that waiting holidays are taking off here too. I'm going to make a flippin fortune…if I can wait long enough. The bikes have to be fumigated, even though riding behind a 'red devil' for 1 minute would achieve exactly the same thing. The locals buy old US school buses then paint them up and run them as huge private taxis. The place is full of them belching out their filth. They're like the Bamako taxis only bigger and they don't take any prisoners.

Panama0020.jpg

Panama0054.jpg

Panama0055.jpg

Panama city is quite a big city with an old colonial district full of people populated with people who's pockets can barely carry all their cash, and a modern concrete and steel heart. The outskirts however are full of hovels and squalor with no go areas aplenty. We've got a brothel not 20 yards from the front door.
Panama0028.jpg

Knock knock, clap clap. The taxi drivers tell us DO NOT walk into that area. Even taxi drivers who see us walking towards the hotel stop to warn us. There is a gang sign on the corner denominating the ownership and there is huge stain of blood on the pavement this morning. Turn left and your possessions become someone else's, turn right and you're fine, the line is that clear. We ride into the city from the airport and as you ride in you approach it over a long causeway. The tide is rushing in just under our wheels, the sky is full with squadrons of pelicans, the approaching skyline is shining chrome, steel and glass.

Panama0022.jpg

Another priceless memory tucked away. You cannot come to Panama without visiting the Panama Canal. We go down to the visitors centre which has viewing platforms overlooking the locks. That is SERIOUS big styley engineering that is, you just cannot believe your eyes, the scale is absolutely incredible. The dock is full…to within what looks like a inch of each end and each side. Within the doc is sitting a flecking HUGE, heavily laden container ship and in the other doc is what I think is a grain transporter. It just looks wrong when you're use to seeing barges in little docs on the canals back home.

Panama0024.jpg

Panama0025.jpg

These big buggers sit in the locks and go up and down, pulled into an out of the dock by little (from this distance anyway) vernacular railway engines. The big ships are queued up patiently waiting their turn. $90,000 a trip through. Keeerrrrrching. They charge by water displacement. Someone once swam the canal. They charged him 36 cents. Into the money district for an evening meal. Beautiful old houses with lovely narrow streets woven between them. Sit outside in the heat and and eat. Listen to music blast from a window, watch people dancing in the street and take a gander at the Panama City skyline across the water. Memories are made of this stuff. Beautiful evening.

I've bought a new pad today. My thoughts were getting a little cramped in the old book but now they can stretch out and breathe. We parked the bikes in the hotel last night, we're not sure they'd have survived a night on the streets.

Panama0003.jpg

Panama0004.jpg
Panama0019.jpg

Panama0034.jpg

Panama0035.jpg

Panama0045.jpg

AC to non AC in the space of a wooden ramp as we launch out the front door. I feel like a pop tart in a toaster and the jam is beginning to boil. Leathers + 38 degrees + 80% humidity means my pores are pouring again. Drips run off my nose, drips run off my nips, even my ears are sweating, on the inside. Traffic is solid, there has been a 'taxident' and the two bent cabs are like a immobile yellow island in the sea of metal. I'm disintegrating, death by dripping. Over the Panama Canal. How lucky am I? It's moments like this that that you have little realisations about exactly how lucky you are.

Panama0050.jpg
Panama0053.jpg

Panama0051.jpg

You need a very understanding family and a lot of luck to be doing this here and now. I feel a bit weird today though, maybe it was having such a lovely night last night, perhaps it's the heat, perhaps it's the latitude and attitude. The locals seem a laid back lot. You can't hurry. If you push, they push back harder so slow seems the only way to go. I slow down today. Who said 'speed is the enemy of reflection'? Slow down just a little and my brain has some spare capacity to observe much more. Less time calculating speeds, threats and trajectories gives more time to pull back the blinkers and enjoy the 180 degree experience of motorcycling. Travellers all have their different options . People pop through the air, home, resort,home, and see very little. Backpackers travel overland but usually in some form of big metal box. Travel by motorcycle is the only way. Travelling by motorbike means the world is your IMAX oyster. Everyone should try it. Slow we go. I flip my head back and see two birds attacking a bird of prey on the wing, probably protecting the youngsters. I see a stack of eagles , masses and masses of them, a huge tube of cruising wings reaching up into the clouds. The eagle airport must be closed. I see decorated bus stops, I see people sleeping off their dinner in hammocks in their gardens, people plaiting oinion stalks in the fields. I'm just happy to track the tarmac.

Panama0056.jpg

Panama0058.jpg

Panama0060.jpg

Panama0062.jpg

Panama0068.jpg

Today the Pan American is just swinging it's hips, big swings to and fro, beautifully cambered, sexy. Later its being resurfaced, the top has been scratched and looks like a giant vinyl record. I let the bike follow the track and dance to the beat underneath me. So much of this trip has been hard or frustrating or just plain shit but some has been just incredible. These big journeys always give me my full range of emotions. You can't have pleasure without pain and today I've taken motorcycle medicine No pain, just a weird and happy contented glow as I head for the hotel. Just to finish the day off nicely it's a stunner, an Eco lodge by a lake. Extremes again, a scary shit hole to a stunning lodge in a couple of days. As I sit and watch the afternoon rain fall I hear the sound of guinea pigs, that high squeaky sound. I've been hearing it all day long today. I'm looking for guinea pigs but it seems to be these strange looking birds making the noise. How did that happen? I guess a guinea pigs went out for a drink one night, ended up getting completely plastered and sleeping with an ugly bird. We've all seen it happen. This creature seems to be the unfortunate result of their union.

--

Up early today as we've got to get to the Costa Rica border early. As the sun rises the earth steams. For the first hour the Pan American treats me to a magical misty tour. Teasing me with glimpses of mountains and lush greenery.

Panama0071.jpg

Panama0073.jpg

It's not far to the border, still far enough for someone to get a $150 speeding fine though. As the mist lifts and the Pan American really shows itself. The road is a thinner hipped version of yesterday, still flicking sexy hips left and right, a little quicker and tighter than yesterday. So smooth you want to lean down and run your finger over it as you ride. It's beautiful, so green, right up to the edge, so…. FAAAAAARK. Suddenly the little bloke manning the alarm in my brain has jumped up and started shouting. BIG, BLUE, BUS, BLOCKING, BOLLOCKS, BRAKE… Before my consciousness can catch up he's made the calculations, plotted a course, sent the 'full stop' signal to my hands and feet and I'm swerving just round the back of the bus that's just turned right across the road in front of me. That's the way it works. My brain goes from relaxed to maxed in the flick of an eye and the autopilot takes over. Once my heart returns to normal size and the taste of adrenaline in my mouth disappears I'll be fine. I'll just slow down for a while… Out of Panama in an instant, but into Costa Rica is more difficult. The bike has to be fumigated first, then insurance bought, then import documentation procured. It's an extremely hot, sultry, patience testing 3 hour process.

Panama0076.jpg
Panama0077.jpg

CostaRica0002.jpg

CostaRica0003.jpg

I'm going to enter 'the most patient person in the world' competition. I'm amazed I've not actually put fist to face with anyone. Into Costa Rica. It's weird how things change so quickly. The constructors for Costa Rica must have gone to the builders merchants and just said 'give me all you've got in green'. This place is so green and verdant, it seems to be growing in front of your very eyes. Hot and very very humid, tropical, dripping. We've been warned that they take speeding very seriously with $200-$300 fines being the norm. It's best to just follow the locals. Sit for lunch in an out of the way hotel and wait for the afternoon rain. It doesn't disappoint. Down it comes like silver rods.

CostaRica0005.jpg
CostaRica0008.jpg

CostaRica0009.jpg

CostaRica0013.jpg

Its not going to stop ay time soon so off we go. Too hot for waterproofs, wet and warm. Very very wet and very very warm. Follow the river, the Pan American meanders along in sync with the water for a while before waving goodbye and heading into the hills and even heavier rain. Take my gloves off at the petrol station and they have that 'been in the bath for an hour' look. I wish they flippin had, along with the rest of me. Get to the town reasonably early but it's Saturday and it's mostly closed. Probably for the best having seen the state of the place. Nice hotel though, very nice, and with the most beautiful receptionist on the planet at the front desk. She managed to ignite my trousers from 30 yards with a microseconds eye contact. Taking a picture I felt like I had a boxer in my boxers, trying to punch his way out. On to Nicaragua tomorrow, that should be interesting.

CostaRica0018.jpg
CostaRica0016.jpg

CostaRica0014.jpg

CostaRica0015.jpg

It's a long way to the border today, 275 slow miles with eyes peeled for the federalise the whole time. First through the mountains in the wet. It felt good this morning, really good - easy. As a motorcyclist you have to tune yourself into wet conditions and this morning it was great. Try to stay smooth, no sudden movements, head up and test the grip. It was just one of those days I guess. I didn't care about the diesel on the road, the rain, the drops, it was just lovely. There are police everywhere here though. There are more guns than people in this country….speed guns that is. Its Sunday but they're all out and ready to draw them at a moments notice. the backup driver got a heavy fine for crossing a solid yellow line. They seem to have enough yellow paint to cover the sun twice and they've used it solely to paint solid lines down the roads. Overtaking spots are few and far between and 275 miles takes forever. I get split up from the others, then lost, again, right in the middle of San Jose. the signs are all over the place and frequently contradictory. I spin round and round for 10 minutes like a pigeon let out of a dark box, slowly getting its bearings before I find my way out on a wing and a prayer.

CostaRica0023.jpg
CostaRica0024.jpg

CostaRica0025.jpg

Christ this place is green. It's greener than a grass exhibition, amazing. Out to the Costa Rica border with Nicaragua. We get a fixer and agree a price. This place is knee deep in trucks with miles and miles of them parked up waiting to cross. The signs don't look good. The fixer jumps the queues and annoys the drivers. They're used to the angry stares but we're not. Our fixer has at least 2 obvious knife wounds too, makes you wonder… As we're about to leave we go to pay the fixer. He wants more money. He starts reneging on his deal telling us the price was only for the passports. He won't take the money. Fuck him. I'm usually patient and I'm usually scared. Today I've got solar powered nerves of steel and I'm fucked off with being fucked about and lied to. I've definitely had enough of being lied to.. definitely. For the first time in my life I just tell him. 'It's that or nothing. What are you going to do about it?' I hope nothing… there are people everywhere and he's unlikely to get rowdy with the cops around. He quietly walks over and takes the money. Thank goodness for that. On to the Nicaragua side. Now this is an awesome, grade A* time wasting operation on an enormous scale. I'm thinking of making it a one stop, all inclusive resort in my waiting holiday brochure. It is just an incredibly protracted process and you absolutely positively HAVE to be fixed to get through it. It's 40 degrees and humid, wearing leathers, sweat is dripping off each fingertip. I'm raining, I stink and my feet feel like they're eating themselves alive. 4 hours, that's 4 hours to cross the border. How much work am I expected to do in 4 hours? It's an eye opener for sure. As we eventually leave and ride out into Nicaragua there is a line of trucks 3 miles long parked up waiting to leave. They have hammocks slung under the trailers to wait the day away in. Girls are selling them food and 'keeping them company' the way they do the world over. We immediately ride around the edge of Lake Nicaragua and it's bloody spectacular in the evening light. It has a line of volcanoes protruding from the water like spikes on the back of a giant Lock Ness monster - its incredible. Life is suddenly more basic here. Lots of people around on foot, life is by the roadside again. There are three wheeled bikes with seats at the front taking people about. A few tuk tuks but mostly quite poor. We suddenly get overtaken…by a brand spanking new Range Rover, the haves rubbing the have not's faces in it. Get to Granada late to a beautiful hotel in a fantastic square. One of the best sunsets I've ever seen lights the way in. Lke a slow motion orange firework if fills the sky with colour for a good 15 minutes before giving way to a spectacular lightening storm. Christ does it rain out here.

Nicaragua0005.jpg
Nicaragua0008.jpg

Nicaragua0012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom