2007 GS Electrical fault

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Put the key in the bike the other morning, switched on, and, - nothing. Not a thing, lights, horn, ignition, it was a total blank. Just like switching on when no battery is fitted.

So, my first check was the battery. A full and healthy 12.5volts.

So, I removed the starter relay (the little cube looking thing under the seat). Plugged it back in, and everything worked. It started up fine.

Next morning, same thing. Removed relay, replaced it, and everything was go. So, I changed the relay for a new one, and everything was fine.

Next morning, same thing. Removed relay, ……………………………..

So, I started to think it may not have anything to do with the relay. I’ve checked around for loose connections, but found nothing.

Any one else suffered a similar issue? Can anyone pinpoint the problem?
Assistance and advice would be appreciated.

It'll be the ignition switch, not the key part the little black box at the bottom of the ignition barrel ..
It's secured with a couple of anti tamper torx screws. Easy to replace when you've got the correct bit. About 85 quid from the dealer. Common problem.

Had a look in my Haynes manual. It seems to suggest that a new switch requires coding to the ECU. Does it?

Since receiving your advice Gazza I've done a back search on 'ignition switch' and come up with all the previous posts. Amazingly, a squirt of GT85 down the key-hole seems to have things working again. Tomorrow morning will be the true test.

The advice and information available on this site far outweighs the annual subs!

Tomorrow morning will be the test. If it doesn't work then, a new switch it is.

Tomorrow morning will be the test. If it doesn't work then, a new switch it is.

It was a very intermittent fault when mine started to fail years ago. It would do it for a few times in a row then could be fine for a week, then it would do it again, there have been others who have had it stick in the on position and unable to turn theirs off. Once it starts it will keep doing until you are stranded.
The squirt down the barrel will not fix it. That is just coincidence. There is no way it can get into the micro switch from above like that as stated above.
Let us know when you get your new switch.

Will do Gazza, but we're away for the next 10 days without the bike. When I'm back I will change the switch. I don't want to be stranded. I'll post the result.

Since receiving your advice Gazza I've done a back search on 'ignition switch' and come up with all the previous posts. Amazingly, a squirt of GT85 down the key-hole seems to have things working again. Tomorrow morning will be the true test.

The advice and information available on this site far outweighs the annual subs!

This is what i did when i had the problem on a previous bike. I flooded WD40 down into the switch which migrated into the micro-switches underneath
and after working the switch many times resulted in the switch contacts getting cleaned up enough to cure the problem which never returned.

Checked again this morning;- back to square one. I'll strip out the old switch today and fit a replacement when I get back. Thanks all for the advice.

That's a fair contribution.

Please PM me with all your bank and credit card details including account numbers and PIN's. This is not a scam and I am not a Nigerian prince. You can trust me - I've paid my subs! :thumb :D

Checked again this morning;- back to square one. I'll strip out the old switch today and fit a replacement when I get back. Thanks all for the advice.

I did find that when mine was playing up turning the key on and off a few times always got it working again eventually
I replaced it before it gave up completely.

This may not be the same fault as your description is aiming at the ignition switch, but a very common fault with early R1200GS is the ignition switch cables fail over time.

Happend to my old bike the insulation coating cracks and moisture corrodes the copper until there isnt enough to make the connection.

Easy test is to turn your handle bars left to right and see if the ignition and lights come on with the key turned on.

My bike intermittently stalled as i was riding eventually getting worse until like you there was nothing when i turned the switch.

If it is this, its a very easy fix (once you stripped the tank off) chase the cables from the ignition switch into the loom until you find a broken cable then re crimp and tape up.

Now fixed. Ordered a switch from Motorworks before we went away and fitted it yesterday. Maybe I'm not as handy with the spanners as you guys. I took off the side panels which made life a lot easier. But you are right, it's a fairly simple job and its fixed it. Thanks one and all for your tips and advice.

Now fixed. Ordered a switch from Motorworks before we went away and fitted it yesterday. Maybe I'm not as handy with the spanners as you guys. I took off the side panels which made life a lot easier. But you are right, it's a fairly simple job and its fixed it. Thanks one and all for your tips and advice.

Nice one. As a matter of interest, how much is a switch now. Bought mine years ago, it was about £85.00 back then

They've not gone up at the same rate as petrol then. :D

Paid Motorworks £84.90 incl £3.25 postage.

Not sure if it's OE. Didn't come in any BMW packaging. If it's not, it's a very good copy:- and it works :D. Cheers Gazza :beer:

Back
Top Bottom