AliExpress

And I would defend the rights of anyone to ride in what they want to within the letter of the law. Who are you to judge others decisions?
The French bike police ride in short sleeved shirts and probably far more competent than you are.

I'm perfectly entitled to judge another persons decision to wear shorts, t-shirt and sandals on a bike and assess that decision as plain stupidity. However if they choose to do so then on their head be it. Re the French Police, I think you are mistaking the competence of a professional motorcyclist and somehow assuming that that will protect them against stripping their flesh down to the bone and beyond if they ride, especially at speed and then slide a 100 metres or so down a tarmac road. Each to their own, but that choice wouldn't be mine thank you very much.

I'm perfectly entitled to judge another persons decision to wear shorts, t-shirt and sandals on a bike and assess that decision as plain stupidity. However if they choose to do so then on their head be it. Re the French Police, I think you are mistaking the competence of a professional motorcyclist and somehow assuming that that will protect them against stripping their flesh down to the bone and beyond if they ride, especially at speed and then slide a 100 metres or so down a tarmac road. Each to their own, but that choice wouldn't be mine thank you very much.

Yep! Just like we can also judge zero moral compass twats who support Chinese counterfeiters......

Yeah but but but they're all made in the same factory in China according to some of the knobbers in this thread!

As well they might be but can you guarentee that these are A grade products or simply QC rejects, the problem with these "fakes" its the unknown.

You will never get it if it has to be explained to you.....lol 'same product'....sure

You genuinely don't understand do you.

Let’s take cars manufactured in Korea, if you want to buy brake discs for a Hyundi, Kia, Ssangyong that is an OEM part with the manufacturers stamp on it, it will cost you X, but if you buy an unbranded item manufactured in the same factory ( fact.) you will pay a lot less for the unbranded item.

What's the issue.?

Main dealer mark up.?

Brand snobbery.?

Excessive profiteering.?

Let’s take cars manufactured in Korea, if you want to buy brake discs for a Hyundi, Kia, Ssangyong that is an OEM part with the manufacturers stamp on it, it will cost you X, but if you buy an unbranded item manufactured in the same factory ( fact.) you will pay a lot less for the unbranded item.

What's the issue.?

Main dealer mark up.?

Brand snobbery.?

Excessive profiteering.?

That is exactly what I used to do with my Ford car. Main Ford dealer would sell branded components, let's say pads, discs, etc. Rapid Fit who are actually in the same building sell the same items (but unbranded) and in plain packaging but at a significantly cheaper price. Fitment of the unbranded components never invalidated the warranty on the car despite not being 'obvious genuine' Ford parts. That is because the parts probably came off the same production line, assembled by the same staff so there was never any issue re their safety, suitability or compatibility because in reality they were genuine Ford parts, simply without the branding.

What's the issue.?

Main dealer mark up.?

Brand snobbery.?

Excessive profiteering.?

Sigh.....yes I do understand. The thread is about non genuine counterfeit COPIES....seems you do not understand

Sigh.....yes I do understand. The thread is about non genuine counterfeit COPIES....seems you do not understand

No, I don't believe you do understand. The point we are trying to make and put in it's most simplistic form so you do understand is that how do you determine whether something is actually a fake, a copy, call it what you will purely on the basis of price and where it may have been manufactured?

No, I don't believe you do understand. The point we are trying to make and put in it's most simplistic form so you do understand is that how do you determine whether something is actually a fake, a copy, call it what you will purely on the basis of price and where it may have been manufactured?

I do clearly understand but cannot be bothered explaining it. Watch this

If someone makes a youtube video then it must be true as it is both on the internet and on youtube. :blagblah

What's the issue.?

Main dealer mark up.?

Brand snobbery.?

Excessive profiteering.?

I have no problem with putting a branded disk that is not OEM on my car what I really have a problem with is putting a Copy or fake disk on my car that has never been through any tests just on the off chance that it was a grade A product from the same production line but what do I know, I only run a UKAS 17025 accredited lab and see examples of utter crap products that fail catastrophically every single day.

If I was not bound by client confidentiality i would love to show you pictures of "fake" toys that have dangerous levels of chemicals, site helmets that crack after only a month due to having no UV protection but at the moment its pushbike stuff thats been counterfeted much of it is shocking!

I have no problem with putting a branded disk that is not OEM on my car what I really have a problem with is putting a Copy or fake disk on my car that has never been through any tests just on the off chance that it was a grade A product from the same production line but what do I know, I only run a UKAS 17025 accredited lab and see examples of utter crap products that fail catastrophically every single day.

If I was not bound by client confidentiality i would love to show you pictures of "fake" toys that have dangerous levels of chemicals, site helmets that crack after only a month due to having no UV protection but at the moment its pushbike stuff thats been counterfeted much of it is shocking!

Forget it mate, these people are a lost cause and you will never get through their thick skulls.

A question about the testing process, rigour, and assuredness that a consumer can have on manufactured goods sold: do you test every single product that comes off a production line, or is it only random sampling? If random sampling of, say brake discs as you mention, what is the sampling rate per 1000 discs manufactured?

I haven't got time to watch it currently, I'm just finishing off editing a video of a recent trip I did on my bike to the Moon. I'll share it with you when it's finished, after all if it's on the inter web it must be true. (I suspect it will go viral). :green gri

Well, who’d have thought it, though I did expect it really. I put the original post on about a few bits of nylon moulding, Perspex sheet and aluminium, none of which are ‘safety critical’ or ‘copies’ and ‘rip offs’ except maybe the front mudguard extension is very very like the Machine Art design. Anyone who thinks Machine Art ‘invented’ rear mudguard inserts or hold some kind of patent on them clearly haven’t been around long or have lead a sheltered motorcycling life, ‘Mudsling’ is their product name for the one they’ve marketed very well over the years.
This has turned into a big debate about testing, safety and product design ownership. I’m sure the people who staunchly defend Machine Art inc haven’t a clue about that company, how many people they employ, where they are based and where their products are made.
I’ve just ordered another product off AliExpress, a TFT surround that securely holds it in place, I’m sure Wunderlich, Touratech etc make a version too but it doesn’t make the one from the seller on AliExpress a fake or a copy, if it’s as well made as the products I’ve received so far it’ll going on my bike.
Those videos of Bennetts and Evotech are interesting but not entirely convincing either, the two blokes from Evotech couldn’t even agree if the bolts where dodgy, one repeatedly saying “they’re mild steel” as if that’s a problem and the other described them as “the real deal, chemically blacked” And where do you think their injection moulders may be? they didn’t actually say, did they?
I’ve got crash bungs on my bike and they are R&G, the engine bars are Touratech but I’ll be buggered if I’m going to spend ridiculous amounts of money on moulded nylon mudguard parts, aluminium side stand foot, frame hole bungs and Perspex headlight screens just because they have Wunderlich, Touratech etc printed on them.
Regarding crash bungs, on my previous bike I had a very cheap (£4.95) AliExpress Wunderlich copy, definitely ‘fake’ and a ‘rip off’ because it said Wunderlich on it, anyway it had stainless steel fittings, looked perfect and the nylon moulding part was near indestructible, not rock hard so it would shatter and not too soft to scrape away easily. How the genuine one could be £46 is possibly the real rip off.
There will never be much agreement in this thread but I’ve learnt over my long history of motorcycling to make my own mind up about products, don’t be taken in by marketing crap but keep safe. If something arrived that I wasn’t happy with it’d be going back.
Just to add, Fredaroony, try not to be rude and disparaging about people on the here please, we’re all supposed to be supporting each other.

Back
Top Bottom