Can I reject a bike that has been repaired following an accident?

My concern would be when you decide to sell the bike. Do you tell prospective purchasers it’s been involved in major accident, or do you keep quite? What if they ask? If you tell what happened you’re unlikely to get a sale, unless you reduce the price by a fair margin.
I’d be concerned if I discovered a bike I’d bought had been involved in an accident of this magnitude.

An insurer simply has to return the vehicle into the state it was in, a moment before the calamity overtook it. To do that the insurer can employ whatever creditable repair shop they chose. Or they can, at their option, write the vehicle off, if the realistic cost of the repair is likely to exceed a fair market value. The insured is at liberty to accept or reject any offer made by the insurer and is, of course free to have the vehicle checked on its return and any defects (caused as a result of the calamity and works done thereafter) put right.

There is a certain irony that ‘third party’ independent service agents are praised on this site, as they are not ‘stealers’, to use the overly popular expression. Yet, all of a sudden ‘stealers’ become the bods’ best friends - and independents not to be trusted - when it’s someone else’s money.

Thanks Wapping.
Regarding being at liberty to accept or reject an offer made to me, are you only referring to a settlement figure in the event of the bike being written off?

Or are you saying I can reject the decision to repair the bike (based on my first-hand experience of the calamity and subsequent concerns) and ask for a payout figure instead?

Essentially I need to clarify if the decision to repair the bike is classed as a formal offer.

Interestingly you’ve echoed what I was told before, namely that the numbers do the talking as to whether it’s repaired or not, seemingly regardless of the facts and severity of the calamity. I’m not doubting that they will have done a thorough inspection but the possibility of something going unnoticed or not being detectable is worrying for say the least.
Thanks.

My concern would be when you decide to sell the bike. Do you tell prospective purchasers it’s been involved in major accident, or do you keep quite? What if they ask? If you tell what happened you’re unlikely to get a sale, unless you reduce the price by a fair margin.
I’d be concerned if I discovered a bike I’d bought had been involved in an accident of this magnitude.

I assume it would come up on a Hpi check.

My understanding is that if asked , the seller is obliged to tell the prospective buyer of any incidents. I believe this principle has some legal weight behind it, leaving the seller open to proceedings if a fault or accident resulted.

There was a couple of 1200 RS bikes on eBay when I was searching for mine. Both had been involved in accidents and the asking price was about 40% lower than other bikes of similar age and mileage. I don’t know if they actually sold or were removed from sale by the seller.

I assume it would come up on a Hpi check.

My understanding is that if asked , the seller is obliged to tell the prospective buyer of any incidents. I believe this principle has some legal weight behind it, leaving the seller open to proceedings if a fault or accident resulted.

"Has this bike ever been damaged?"

"No"

This is fraud by false representation.

I know I know.
I had a bad experience with them a few years ago with some spare parts I bought. Not big money but rubbish after-sales services and attitude from the guy I was dealing with.
Some time later I understand the company changed hands . They’ve been fine with any other parts I’ve bought, no issues at all.

Maybe it’s the wonders of the internet that allows disgruntled customers to vent their anger and therefore only shows the bad opinions and never any praise ,but there does seem to be a lot of bad press about 4D.
Up to now they’ve been fine although they don’t seem to be in any rush.

Thanks Wapping.
Regarding being at liberty to accept or reject an offer made to me, are you only referring to a settlement figure in the event of the bike being written off?

Or are you saying I can reject the decision to repair the bike (based on my first-hand experience of the calamity and subsequent concerns) and ask for a payout figure instead?

Essentially I need to clarify if the decision to repair the bike is classed as a formal offer.

Interestingly you’ve echoed what I was told before, namely that the numbers do the talking as to whether it’s repaired or not, seemingly regardless of the facts and severity of the calamity. I’m not doubting that they will have done a thorough inspection but the possibility of something going unnoticed or not being detectable is worrying for say the least.
Thanks.

You can raise any concerns you like with your insurer.

It will only show up on an HPI check if it’s been classed as a cat N or cat S, which would make it a write off, by the sounds of it this bike has not been written off. It will just be repaired with no record of the damage or work done anywhere. If it has been given an N or S categorisation, then you should be paid the full market value of the bike.

It will only show up on an HPI check if it’s been classed as a cat N or cat S, which would make it a write off, by the sounds of it this bike has not been written off. It will just be repaired with no record of the damage or work done anywhere. If it has been given an N or S categorisation, then you should be paid the full market value of the bike.

Cheers.
Its the first time I’ve been through this process.

Worth arranging your own independant inspection of the bike before accepting it from repairers?
Will provide peace of mind at least and if you forworn insurer and repairer will focus their attention!

Worth arranging your own independant inspection of the bike before accepting it from repairers?
Will provide peace of mind at least and if you forworn insurer and repairer will focus their attention!

Good idea. Might just do that..

I had a similar situation over a decade ago and my bike (GSXR-750) was ‘close’ to repair or ‘write-off’. The insurance company was pushing to repair until I insisted that all repairs/parts were completed by a Suzuki dealership to ensure no future warranty issues. (The bike was less than 2-years old)

Not sure if this is the case for you but as others have said - your insurance should work to support you…

** sorry - I hadn’t appreciated your bike is being repaired **

Last edited:
Maybe it’s the wonders of the internet that allows disgruntled customers to vent their anger and therefore only shows the bad opinions and never any praise ,but there does seem to be a lot of bad press about 4D.
Up to now they’ve been fine although they don’t seem to be in any rush.

They were selling a Triumph Bobber on e-bay and I had all the parts that were needed, to make the bike as new again. I spoke to a mate of mine who used to work there a few years back and his advice to me was "Don't buy it"

When I asked him why, he said "They were always missing stuff on insurance quotes and were not to be trusted"

Make sure you get the repaired bike inspected by your Motorrad dealer before you accept it back would be my advice :thumby:

I really feel for you Steve.

Good luck and let's look forward to a positive outcome.

Bloody hell. Reviews don’t look good at all. My desire to see it written off is based purely on the severity of the accident but this is just the icing on the cake.
I didn’t want to get into naming and shaming because up to now the process has been straightforward enough, albeit slow, but I’m now beginning to wonder where this is going.

I emailed my insurance company customer services dept ( before this review link was posted on here) asking them to reconsider. The claims line number goes straight through to 4D so that’s a waste of time.

Their assessor told me the front wheel isn’t being replaced because it isn’t showing any cracks or fractures. How the hell do they establish that without stripping back to bare metal?

I'd heard they were bad, I refused to deal with them when I got reversed into but those reviews!! How on earth does such an apparently crap company continue to exist.

I think until everyone asks whether their insurance company deals with 4th D , and avoids the ones that do, then this will continue.

It seems indisputable that they are incurring massively inflated costs which the Ins companies pay. One must ask that if it so obvious, who is getting their palms greased to allow the perpetuation?

Bloody hell. Reviews don’t look good at all. My desire to see it written off is based purely on the severity of the accident but this is just the icing on the cake.
I didn’t want to get into naming and shaming because up to now the process has been straightforward enough, albeit slow, but I’m now beginning to wonder where this is going.

I emailed my insurance company customer services dept ( before this review link was posted on here) asking them to reconsider. The claims line number goes straight through to 4D so that’s a waste of time.

Their assessor told me the front wheel isn’t being replaced because it isn’t showing any cracks or fractures. How the hell do they establish that without stripping back to bare metal?

X-ray?

Back
Top Bottom