2013 R1200GS would you today??

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m hopefully going to sell my 2011 K1600GT and get back on a GS.

I’ve had a few hexhead GS/RT and twin cam GS’s however love the controls on the K and so like the look and fancy trying a WC.

Seen a few 2013 models with low miles, the question is would people be concerned if it had been well looked after and low miles?

I’ve been doing my research and have seen the normal GS scare stories but I’m well used to that. However on the earlier model GS is it really that bad that I’d be better off looking say late 2014 onwards?

Might end up having to trade the K as my location away up in the islands is not ideal. So this was my thinking, go a bit older and trade the K against a lower cost early WC.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Oh and I have had a pretty decent search on here before posting so please be kind..

Cheers
Mark

I’ve had both hex head and early WC. (And a K1600) My very strong preference is for the last of the TC hex heads.

If you can, a decent test ride would be really recommended. The WC can be tweaked with the Af-XIED units to cure the mid range flat spot, but I never felt the need for that with the TC.

From my own experience I would not have an early 2013 or 2014 LC model, 2016 onwards is a better, more sorted bike.

If my budget meant an early LC I would rather buy a late Twin Cam

Thanks guys, I had Af-XIED on one of my twin cams made a difference on it.

Cool, sometimes better the devil you know so TC might be a good option.

Ta

I had a 2013 LC and sold it at 8 years old with about 50k on the clock. Only fault I had with it was a leaking front shock which was rebuilt. No rust, no flaking paint and 100% reliable.

Some of the early ones had some shocking gear shifts although i think my 2014 was one of the best bikes i ever had, it did need a new clutch early on to sort the gearchange. I think it had a steering damper and white front shock spring, there were a few small tweaks from the very early ones for 2014 model year.

Much preferable to a TC for me.

I had a 2013 LC and sold it at 8 years old with about 50k on the clock. Only fault I had with it was a leaking front shock which was rebuilt. No rust, no flaking paint and 100% reliable.

Good to hear. Mine's 10 years old this year and in very good condition because it has very few miles on it. I've also got close on £20k in it but that's another story... :blast

The early 2013 bikes had a head wobble at higher speeds - that is why the later ones had a steering damper fitted

The early 2013 bikes had a head wobble at higher speeds - that is why the later ones had a steering damper fitted

I thought the earlier bikes were retro-fitted with steering dampers?

If it wasn't stolen in late 2018 I'd still have it today.

It was a late 2013 model, so didn't need the fork recall and the quick shifter was fine.

Paid £10k for it in October 2016was full luggage @ 13k miles and over 30k when stolen.

The only thing I was less keen on was the pick-up as it was a light flywheel model and less smooth than the later ones. I later complained about the small amount of corrosion on the engine and BMW fitted a replacement unit - with a contribution towards the labour from me.

I was happy with that.

Mine's fine all the way up to 130 mph. The steering damper was fitted to 2014 on model year bikes as a result of Kevin Ash being killed when he crashed while riding on a gravel road at the bike's launch in South Africa.

2014 onwards come with steering damper as standard.
Gearbox seems to be better with each revamp:
Rode an 1150gsa, terrible
Owned a second hand 2014 gs, ok.
Then did 35,000 miles on a new 2017. Better.
Now on a 2022 r1250gs, very good.

Honestly cannot see why you would not always choose the latest version you can afford. Ignore the Luddites..go wc.

My 2013 GS is now at 50,000 miles. Still fine. Switch gear started playing up end of last year so got new ones and rear calliper replaced last year too as that was knackered. Ride all year round and still very happy with it.
BMW have however replaced the following FOC during my ownership.
Frame.
Fork leg.
Engine pack (complete).
Shaft drive.
:friday

Last edited:
I had an early 2013GS LC, always jumped if you started with it in gear with the clutch pulled in. I always left the bike in gear 1 when parked up.
I complained to my dealer. They fitted a bit to alter the oil flow rate through the clutch - made very little difference. Also they played with the clutch plates. No difference.
Come 2014 the dealer made enough noise to the Mothership UK, the bike was swapped out totally free of charge for a 2014 model. No problem at all. The old one went into the sales room at the dealership. The 2014 model (as said above) has a steering damper.
I think that there was a problem with a journalist being hurt in South Africa that may have hurried up the fitting of a damper.

I had a 2014 GS LC which I loved and kept for five years, which was a new record for me.

It had a full engine replacement in 2016 due to some corrosion issues (nothing worse than previous boxers) and the new engine had a better gearbox but wasn’t quite as free revving due to the heavier flywheel.

I had a early 2014 LC the lighter flywheel model, since then i have had four new gs / gsa bikes and i left them for a year and had a s1000xr (great bike more comfort than a gs)
And the best of the bunch has without doubt been the first LC gs
80,000 plus miles in just over three years only changed because of the warranty
wish i had never changed it they seemed better quality than the newer ones
And mine had more stick than a lazy donkey
I liked the lighter flywheel as well, must say though it had a full Akro system and a remap and never once let me down

LC Purchase.

I had an early 2013 LC GS sold it in 2015 with 10,000 miles to a good friend who still owns it and now has 50,000 miles on, he hasn’t had a single issue with the bike and we are off to Luxembourg and Germany in July

Attachments

• 23F76BCD-917B-49D2-88E1-C5C1C9077A3D.jpg
    23F76BCD-917B-49D2-88E1-C5C1C9077A3D.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 214

Back
Top Bottom