Accommodation in Marocco

Portugal

Hi All

How easy is it to get accommodation at a reasonable price with security for 2 bikes in Marocco

I went there by car 10 years ago but had a hotel figured this time I would like to just turn up somewhere around mid July

Thanks

Safe riding

Portugal:beerjug:

No problem!

Hey Portugal,

I went over to Morroco on my own last September (during Ramadan) and had no problems. I basically picked soemthing out of the Lonely Planet guide each night for the following day. I didn't even book in advance, just turned up and booked in. I did gites, b&b's and hotels. The bike went on private hotel carparks, locked courtyards, in the street in front of the hotel (looked after by a hotel guardian for a few dirhams) and even in the hotel reception. I paid between 50 and 350 dirhams depending on the "quality" and where I was (Marrakesh was more expensive).

If you wanted you could ring up and book in the night before, but as I said I didn't find it necessary. In the bigger cities/towns you will usually find you are "greeted" on the main road into town by a local on a moped who will show you to a b&b for a few dirhams.

You should be fine.

As Tim said, easy.

If they don't have under-cover shelter for bikes (and most hotels/auberges/hostals will find a garage or locked back alley with little if any prompting) then there will nearly always be a 'guardian' who will sit with the bikes all night for a small fee (less than the cost of an hour's parking in London)

Mid July will be HOT HOT HOT.....it's pretty much at the end of the peak touristy coach party season though, so stick to smaller hotels and you shouldn't have a problem just turning up and finding a room.

Bike theft is virtually unheard on in Morocco...they don't have the infrastructure, dealers or big-bike culture that we have in Europe, so there is hardly any market/desire to nick a big bike there.....The only two thefts of bikes or of parts from bikes that I know of in fact have been done by Europeans over there, presumably looking for parts to get themselves going :blast:mad:

Farkles, tempting bits, sunglasses, odds and sods and tools are a slightly different matter....We've had gloves pinched from the luggage rack of a bike amidst a group of us and a group of shepherds in the mountains before now, and silly things left in silly places will go, taken by the local bad kid or some teenage lad who fancies himself as a wide-boy, so common sense prevails....

Other than that, don't worry, be happy, enjoy :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom