Drink in Morocco

Captain jack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is it allowed, available? What are folks who like wine experiences please?

In my experience some hotels serve alcohol and some don’t.
I never found it an issue if alcohol wasn’t available for a day or two.
Moroccan tea is lovely.
Soft drinks are widely available.

In my experience some hotels serve alcohol and some don’t.
I never found it an issue if alcohol wasn’t available for a day or two.
Moroccan tea is lovely.
Soft drinks are widely available.
But you are not an alcoholic 😂

westernised hotels will serve drinks, however at a startling price!
look for the local supermarket (hotel staff will often help) some have separate areas ( in one case a whole underground level!) stocked with booze, surprisingly full of locals!
take your purchases back to your dry hotel, do not risk upsetting the locals in the hotel by drinking or indeed getting plastered in a public area, do that in your room, possibly with some snacks to soak it all up

An aluminium 'water' bottle is useful here, filled with 'blackcurrent cordial', aka red wine.
On my recent trip with a friend in my Spanish-registered Panda 4x4 we loaded the 4x4 with 12 bottles of excellent Spanish merlot for me, and 12 bottles of syrah (shiraz) for him, both varieties at £2 per bottle in Spain. My friend ran out in between Tata and Zagora and the cheapest he was able to source was 200dh (£15) per bottle. So don't run out in the more remote areas.
Most Moroccan wine comes from the Meknes area from vineyards planted by French immigrants in the 1930s. Gris (a very light red) is popular.

Toured Morrocco on a GS a couple of times. Getting an alcoholic drink was never an issue in hotels/bars and restaurants etc. Didn’t think it was overly expensive either.

Was in Morocco some ten years ago and we had no trouble finding a beer or two in Casablanca and Agadir.

Winding the clock back a bit....
Also had no trouble getting a beer in the mid 70's and I remember sharing bottles of wine in the
Hotel Foucauld, Marrakech.
I believe the hotel is still there (facing the Jamaâ El Fna Square and at the entrance to the medina)
in a great location if you don't mind central, busy and old.

The hotel name sticks with me to this day because of its pronunciation. Many school boy giggles.
Oh happy days.

An aluminium 'water' bottle is useful here, filled with 'blackcurrent cordial', aka red wine.
On my recent trip with a friend in my Spanish-registered Panda 4x4 we loaded the 4x4 with 12 bottles of excellent Spanish merlot for me, and 12 bottles of syrah (shiraz) for him, both varieties at £2 per bottle in Spain. My friend ran out in between Tata and Zagora and the cheapest he was able to source was 200dh (£15) per bottle. So don't run out in the more remote areas.
Most Moroccan wine comes from the Meknes area from vineyards planted by French immigrants in the 1930s. Gris (a very light red) is popular.
I like your thinking. I may invest in a fuel bag lol

I found drink in two places in 25 days and tbh didn't look in all the other places I visited. Carrefour in fez for cheap drink then a bar in Essaouira 20 per bottle so fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom