First ride!

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First day on the bike!

Stressing I ain’t no bike journalist, rather an old git with a drink problem (woohoo) however this is what I thought after 150 miles…….(and thank you mate for coming along - you know who you are).

Firstly it’s very subjective and, as always, I respect everybody’s views even if they aren’t the same as mine.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s a game changer however, for sure, to all of us who said “BMW have made a mistake here” (or words to that effect) I would very respectfully suggest they ride it first as I suspect many will agree that it’s a cracking evolution from the 1250 (which is a cracking bike anyhoo).

Engine is lovely - up on torque (and I can notice) and BHP (that’s more of a Willy waving thing).

Handling - superb. It’s much lighter and more svelte and now makes my GSA look and feel like a battle bus. Restricted by the Rev limiter the bike had me going into corners faster than I would like, such is the confidence of the ride.

Quick shifter - an improvement but not as silky as my K1600.

Looks - much better in the flesh but the light and the front facing radar box might be acquired tastes for some. Neither bothered me as I concentrated on the ride.

Only negative (so far) is the weather protection but you can’t have it all eh, I’m spoilt with my GSA.

Loved the leanometer (Tony, you won’t need this bit ).

In a line - an XR (Gen1) with a boxer engine . I don’t think BMW have made a mistake at all - indeed it’s a cracking bike in my humble opinion.

My production example of the TFT screen anti theft brace seems fine including the sun visor & the early prototype of the soft luggage panel seemed ok to son onwards and upwards with that.
4ed9db40ae6a2b1731fb9666f0c1bc4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the bike with the electric screen, fully up I reckon it’s better than the GSA 👍

Sounds great...Like I said beauty is only skin deep and this stuff means really nothing and I like you want a XR with a Boxer engine ,shaft % Telelever combo but come on BMW 1000 rpm more for a proper top end rush and 200 miles range if you ride in anger should be not too much to ask for...Enjoy your new ride ! Here in the colonies we wont see the new bike before next year...:-(((

Sounds great...Like I said beauty is only skin deep and this stuff means really nothing and I like you want a XR with a Boxer engine ,shaft % Telelever combo but come on BMW 1000 rpm more for a proper top end rush and 200 miles range if you ride in anger should be not too much to ask for...Enjoy your new ride ! Here in the colonies we wont see the new bike before next year...:-(((

Oh dear! I hope you see the bike soon into the new year in the colonies

Ah that’s very interesting!

Mark , fair write up as this bike for owners I feel will evolve as a great improvement on the 1250 . I have had a great time on my 1250 , pushing to limits that at times overwhelmed the chassis , but this new one is different , and you can feel it . The bike is taught , refined and ready to be pushed to where the the 1250 started to fade . It’s a new chapter for the Gs and one I can’t wait to start and find the new limits of an improvement that was inevitable and long overdue. Just to add , I had a few years on the V4 s and realised that the BM was the better bike only let down but the lack of performance , but nothing else . This new one is better , a lot better , it’s a thing many have wanted for a long time , a bike technically underpowered but supported by a chassis that works better than the rest in its class and will perform as it’s a perfect package and ridden well will kick ass .

Mark , fair write up as this bike for owners I feel will evolve as a great improvement on the 1250 . I have had a great time on my 1250 , pushing to limits that at times overwhelmed the chassis , but this new one is different , and you can feel it . The bike is taught , refined and ready to be pushed to where the the 1250 started to fade . It’s a new chapter for the Gs and one I can’t wait to start and find the new limits of an improvement that was inevitable and long overdue. Just to add , I had a few years on the V4 s and realised that the BM was the better bike only let down but the lack of performance , but nothing else . This new one is better , a lot better , it’s a thing many have wanted for a long time , a bike technically underpowered but supported by a chassis that works better than the rest in its class and will perform as it’s a perfect package .

I massively agree with all of that

THat is so funny Stick because that is exactly what I told you Before you bought the MS-V4...LOL Now the GS might have the chassis to take the power but it lacks a little bit on top...LOL You gentlemen enjoy your new bikes while we wait for spring to give it a proper test run...!

THat is so funny Stick because that is exactly what I told you Before you bought the MS-V4...LOL Now the GS might have the chassis to take the power but it lacks a little bit on top...LOL You gentlemen enjoy your new bikes while we wait for spring to give it a proper test run...!
But you need to ride them to find out , figures , reviews , premeditated opinions sometime cloud your mind like cloudy moonshine ….

You are absolutely right Stick...But a comparison on Dyno,weight,mpg,roll-on,62 to 0 and top speed run with bags & topcase between old & new GS would be very interesting nevertheless ! You gentlemen enjoy your new rides while I take my old warhorse on another mexico ride...

First day on the bike!

Stressing I ain’t no bike journalist, rather an old git with a drink problem (woohoo) however this is what I thought after 150 miles…….(and thank you mate for coming along - you know who you are).

Firstly it’s very subjective and, as always, I respect everybody’s views even if they aren’t the same as mine.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s a game changer however, for sure, to all of us who said “BMW have made a mistake here” (or words to that effect) I would very respectfully suggest they ride it first as I suspect many will agree that it’s a cracking evolution from the 1250 (which is a cracking bike anyhoo).

Engine is lovely - up on torque (and I can notice) and BHP (that’s more of a Willy waving thing).

Handling - superb. It’s much lighter and more svelte and now makes my GSA look and feel like a battle bus. Restricted by the Rev limiter the bike had me going into corners faster than I would like, such is the confidence of the ride.

Quick shifter - an improvement but not as silky as my K1600.

Looks - much better in the flesh but the light and the front facing radar box might be acquired tastes for some. Neither bothered me as I concentrated on the ride.

Only negative (so far) is the weather protection but you can’t have it all eh, I’m spoilt with my GSA.

Loved the leanometer (Tony, you won’t need this bit ).

In a line - an XR (Gen1) with a boxer engine . I don’t think BMW have made a mistake at all - indeed it’s a cracking bike in my humble opinion.

My production example of the TFT screen anti theft brace seems fine including the sun visor & the early prototype of the soft luggage panel seemed ok to son onwards and upwards with that.
4ed9db40ae6a2b1731fb9666f0c1bc4c.jpg

Mark, a good, precise review that I agree with after my own 80 mile test from Rotherham the other week on their TB demonstrator.
My only gripe was a clunky manual gear change going up the box compared to my current 1250. I want to test it again after its 1st service as others have found it to be fine. The quickshifter was grand.
Other gripe, a mudslinger is needed urgently, the back of my jacket was caked in lovely Lincolnshire muck !
But overall, a brilliant machine.
And like your comparison to the XR mk1 too. Agree. Thanks for posting Mark.

One can’t compare a 1250 GSA to a GS 1300.

Thank you for the write up Mark. I'm sure it's everything you say it is but for me, sadly, the price means myself and many others couldn't justify the evolution. Specc'd up, it would be £22K now for the equivalent spec to what I have. OK, Ducati aren't exactly cheap but I wouldn't buy one. of those anyway. I'm more inclined to buy a good used low miles 1250 GSA for my next bike, or 1250 RS.

As for alternatives, especially given that I do nada off road, perhaps 50 miles or less annually (then mostly gravel tracks), any advantages it might have for me over other adv bikes are gone. I'd probably look to Suzuki's 1050 if I couldn't find a 1250 at the right price. As you rightly say, torque and lighter weight/improved handling are where its at. BHP chasing leaves me cold and is for pub heros. The 1200 had enough outright grunt. For some, enough is never enough as long as someone else produces something else faster, but I've long outgrown chainf bhp top trumps. It's also a bike with a face only a mother could love. I prefer the outgoing model looks from the front.

The other elephant in the room (sorry) is reliability. It's got to prove itself over the coming few years and miles without recalls and problems as one thing I won't do any longer is to pay that much for a bike that won't last the distance and the jury's out on that for many. If it does, then happy days, a good used one will be available by then!

Mark, a good, precise review that I agree with after my own 80 mile test from Rotherham the other week on their TB demonstrator.
My only gripe was a clunky manual gear change going up the box compared to my current 1250. I want to test it again after its 1st service as others have found it to be fine. The quickshifter was grand.
Other gripe, a mudslinger is needed urgently, the back of my jacket was caked in lovely Lincolnshire muck !
But overall, a brilliant machine.
And like your comparison to the XR mk1 too. Agree. Thanks for posting Mark.

Ah, a mudslinger - yes that’s a good idea!

Thank you for the write up Mark. I'm sure it's everything you say it is but for me, sadly, the price means myself and many others couldn't justify the evolution. Specc'd up, it would be £22K now for the equivalent spec to what I have. OK, Ducati aren't exactly cheap but I wouldn't buy one. of those anyway. I'm more inclined to buy a good used low miles 1250 GSA for my next bike, or 1250 RS.

As for alternatives, especially given that I do nada off road, perhaps 50 miles or less annually (then mostly gravel tracks), any advantages it might have for me over other adv bikes are gone. I'd probably look to Suzuki's 1050 if I couldn't find a 1250 at the right price. As you rightly say, torque and lighter weight/improved handling are where its at. BHP chasing leaves me cold and is for pub heros. The 1200 had enough outright grunt. For some, enough is never enough as long as someone else produces something else faster, but I've long outgrown chainf bhp top trumps. It's also a bike with a face only a mother could love. I prefer the outgoing model looks from the front.

The other elephant in the room (sorry) is reliability. It's got to prove itself over the coming few years and miles without recalls and problems as one thing I won't do any longer is to pay that much for a bike that won't last the distance and the jury's out on that for many. If it does, then happy days, a good used one will be available by then!

I do agree about the price - if I didn’t need it for work I don’t think I could justify the cost to change over something that is very good anyway (be it my 1200 or 1250). I do think if you are in the market for a bike then go for a good deal on the outgoing model that may also be problem free!

I do agree about the price - if I didn’t need it for work I don’t think I could justify the cost to change over something that is very good anyway (be it my 1200 or 1250). I do think if you are in the market for a bike then go for a good deal on the outgoing model that may also be problem free!

I would hope with the 5 years of development this bike will be trouble free , it would be an industry disaster if they did not test , test test. Its a good thing that BM did not chase the other manufactures with the bhp at 170 / 160 . The boxer does not need it and also it would ruin the torque as it did on the V4s and the Ktm is just a ktm the thug in the room.

I was in a similar position, I have a 1200 GS and never saw the1250 as a big enough improvement to justify the price to change

As for the usual suspects from Ducati, Triumph & KTM, all have something that puts me off

Nothing interesting from the Japanese at the moment unfortunately either

The new GS ticked the boxes for me, so I ordered one, but with 5 years guarantee :rob

Back
Top Bottom