How do I value this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil12GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As alot of you have seen in my post earlier this year I purchased a 2015 LC having done 55000 miles and had a major engine fault. I decided with your help to buy a replacement engine and fit that. The new engine is a 2017 engine and gearbox so much improved over pre 2017.
The bike has been great and I am so now impressed with the GS that I am thinking of buying a 2018 1200GS Rallye or a 2019 1250. Especially as there are a lot of newer bikes for sale at good prices at the moment due to the current situation.
My question is, what value would you put on my bike to sell it?
The bike itself is a 2015/65 R1200GS LC TE having done 55000 miles with full BMW Chester service history inc recent one I had done there.
The big plus is that it has a much improved 2017 engine and gearbox that has only done 6000 miles. So although the bike has done some miles the most important parts of the bike are 2017 and very low mileage.
It also emerged from its transformation with a professional metallic black BMW paint job, full brand new exhaust system.
It also has some ‘extras’ but just after a ‘standard’ bike price.
What do you chaps think? :nenau

Photos to follow..

Pre new exhaust photo.

Attachments

• F03658E8-99DF-4389-97F2-A35CC964B3B2.jpg
    F03658E8-99DF-4389-97F2-A35CC964B3B2.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 600
I suppose it's a case of what you think it's worth coupled with what it owes you but with a final 'what someone is prepared to pay'
If someone is after a sorted bike for a few grand cheaper than normal and aims to keep it, it should be great value.
I'd say around £7k (Craigs Honda have a 14 plate with 51k for £7500 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...e=bd229ql&sort=price-asc&model=R1200GS&page=1 )

That the tricky bit as Craig’s Honda bike for sale is only a 14 plate without the great benefit of a low mileage 2017 much improved engine and gearbox.

That the tricky bit as Craig’s Honda bike for sale is only a 14 plate without the great benefit of a low mileage 2017 much improved engine and gearbox.

You're right of course, the vast majority of people have an issue with a non original bike (and presumably most other stuff on the bike has done 55k miles?)
What will a dealer give you for it?
You can put it up for any figure you like and it will find its own value by either selling instantly or dragging on as low ball offers come in

This is going to hurt i'm afraid

your bike will only ever be a 2015, despite the fact that you have fitted a later engine & gearbox :(

I agree it might be better and improved, but anyone who comes to view it will go by whats on the plate at the back.

Your also going to battling another problem,

As soon as you say new engine / gearbox, some punters are going to walk away.

Those who dont, there first question will be "why", major engine fault will have them running for the hills.

you need to find a way to make the engine swap palatable to new purchaser

There is no doubt, its going to be a tough sell, all you can do is make sure the numbers (frame & engine are the same on the V5)

and advertise it as a 2015 bike, but give it all the options, panniers crash bars etc.. some times you have to spend money to make money

your other option is "we buy" or similar , but i'm not sure if the age, mileage is within the limits, anywhere that's retail will only give you low book i'm

afraid. Ebay classified, or a reserve auction may be one way of getting closer to what you want

I think we all agree you did wonders with getting the bike back together, but its going to be a tough sell i'm afraid

Not interested in selling to a dealer/stealer.
I would like a buyer who understands the ‘improvement’ to this bike.
No rush to sell.

I would think its a bad time to sell at the moment. The simple answer is that its a 55000 mile bike on a 15 plate. The new engine may even make people devalue it.

I don’t agree at all.
No one is going to prefer a 2015 engine and older gearbox having done 55000 miles compared to a much improved 2017 engine and gearbox having done 6000 miles.
The engine swap is also a straightforward operation.
To answer earlier point, yes all details changed over with DVLA so all correct on V5.

Price it as a 65 plate 55,000 mile LC....

Yours will then have the benefit of a new engine...

Which may help it sell.

It’s not worth a premium price sadly.

Is it not correct that a lot of the early lc bikes had replacement engines , under warranty, due to corrosion and other failures, if this is the case the surely anyone buying a bike of this age will have done there homework and maybe a replacement engine won't be too much of a problem.

I don’t agree at all.
No one is going to prefer a 2015 engine and older gearbox having done 55000 miles compared to a much improved 2017 engine and gearbox having done 6000 miles.
To answer earlier point, yes all details changed over with DVLA so all correct on V5.

Bang it up at what you feel it is worth then. The market will dictate its worth. GLWS

(For many people, swapping an engine and box is nothing like a straightforward operation and I'd guess some also believe an original bike with factory engine and box is a better proposition-seriously)

I don’t agree at all.

The reason people may be sceptical about buying a bike thats had a replacement engine is, and I'm making an assumption here, you aren't a trained qualified motorbike mechanic. You may have done a sterling job of replacing the engine but a lot of people will be sceptical, what if you've used wrong bolts, wrong torque specs, wrong connectors on wiring, bodged the wiring from a 2017 engine onto a 2015 bike etc etc.
There also will be a few others who will see the benefit of a newer engine in an older bike, they will be the people who don't see a 55k bike as being well past its best.

Like others have said, what does it owe you and what would you accept for it? Stick it up at that price and see what happens.

Mileage drags it right back new engine or not it’s done 55k. A new engine doesn’t mean you are suddenly selling the Crown Jewels. About 5 or 6 grand I would say.

Why not speak to a dealer and ask them what they would buy it for and sell it on at. That gives you a starting point. New engine or not, the rest of the bike has still done 55k. You'll find out if its priced wrong, because it won't sell

Mileage drags it right back new engine or not it’s done 55k. A new engine doesn’t mean you are suddenly selling the Crown Jewels. About 5 or 6 grand I would say.

Yup, about £5 or £6k. All the other components will still have 55k miles on them.

Keep it, put TT suspension on it and enjoy.

I agree TT ESA suspension or complete suspension overhaul from man on here, or send to Esarepair in Holland, and you have new bike, without stupid TFT.

If you owned a 2015 GS with 55000 on it and you had the offer of a replacement 2017 engine and gearbox, I think there wouldn’t be many passing up on that offer!
No brainier for me, better overall bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom