How do I value this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to make two assumptions here:

1) Your original motor was silver and not black ?

2) Your engine suffered a mechanical failure ?

I had a 2014 GSA that BMW very kindly fitted a 2017 engine to due to a minor corrosion issue. When I decided to part exchange the GSA for a GS I explained to the selling BMW dealer that the servicing BMW dealer had replaced the motor due to corrosion. The salesman at the selling BMW dealer got quite funny about it. In fact, I came very close to telling him to FRO when he then tried to chip me on the offered part exchange price. He claimed that he wouldn't be able to sell my GSA for the same price as a 'normal' GSA that hadn't received a new replacement motor :confused:

Even dealers can get funny when it comes to non original stuff despite the fact that a 2017 motor is a massive improvement over a 2015

I would just price it as a high mileage 2015 bike and see what gives :thumb

On the subject of deals. My local dealer NOG are doing pre registered R1250GS Exclusive models at £15650 and the 1250 Rallye at £15950 throughout the month of June :thumby:

There are so many for sale. Buyers choice. I would also value it as 55k bike.

If you ask to much for it most people will buy a 2017 bike with 15k miles.
Why have yours?

Unless it was cheap, I personally would not buy it.

At the end of the day we are talking north of 5k, it's not worth the risk paying a premium for 55k bike with replacement engine not fitted by a garage or dealer with no warranty.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

However in 5 years time when the bikes are worth around 3k, I believe you will get a slight premium over the rest.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

If you owned a 2015 GS with 55000 on it and you had the offer of a replacement 2017 engine and gearbox, I think there wouldn’t be many passing up on that offer!
No brainier for me, better overall bike.

You seem pretty confident, so why not advertise it for what you think it's worth, and prove everyone else wrong.

Sadly I agree with the consensus, what you've done doesn't really make the bike a lot more valuable. You spent some money to ensure that the bike still had some value rather than just being broken for parts when your engine died.

I do think you've done a good job, I don't think you're likely to realise much more than what a similar standard bike would get.

What you did would make it a good bike as a keeper, but not as an investment. It's the sort of bike I would be looking out for, but would only be looking to pay 55k mileage money. However, I would expect yours to sell quicker than other original 55k mileage bikes.

I don't think you can price it with those in dealers. They offer warranty, finance, p/ex etc, and yours is a DIY conversion.

I'd be tempted to advertise at what you want for it, but be prepared to keep and enjoy it until you can find your next bike at a price that you can afford to let this one go.

I do wish you luck, as I quite like what you did.

I agree monetary wise it may not make the bike like ‘the crown jewels’ but if a 2015 bike with 50000 plus miles is going for £7000+ and a 2017 with my engine, etc goes for £11000 plus, I think the values on here of £5000, seems a little off. IMHO.

I agree monetary wise it may not make the bike like ‘the crown jewels’ but if a 2015 bike with 50000 plus miles is going for £7000+ and a 2017 with my engine, etc goes for £11000 plus, I think the values on here of £5000, seems a little off. IMHO.

You asked for comments on how to value it, you obviously are not impressed with the responses. Make your own decision, if it doesn't sell then its priced too high, but you have nothing to lose but time. Be good to let us know how the sale goes, good luck :)

I agree that this bike won't be the easiest to sell... It will all come down to price.
I'd put it on eBay as a classified advert with a price of £7,199 with a "best offer" option. That makes it the cheapest LC on there. You get a massive audience and someone will probably offer £6.5 - 7k.
Take lots of detailed photographs, make sure the V5 numbers tally, and have a good "story" ready.

I'd probably keep it. The newer bike will have few advantages over yours and will devalue loads. Your bike will devalue much more slowly... It's not that far from the bottom of the curve now. Spend the cash on fancy shocks and enjoy the bike you've done so much to improve

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I don’t believe the 2017 engine to be better, I’ve had 3 watercooled GS, the first new in 2014, I did 10000 miles in a year , and it was possibly the best one, it loved to rev, the heavier crank made them a bit softer (other two were 2017) and there wasn’t any power increase, I don’t think it’s anything to get too excited about personally speaking.

The £7000 is a dealer asking price for a bike with full luggage(probably got over a grand markup on what they paid) , there are just so many of these bikes about, I doubt many dealers would even take in px if it had a self fitted and unwarranted engine, it’s a buyers market and to compete with dealers unfortunately it may need to be cheap.

The risk with buying repairable projects like the blown engine bike you bought, is the market value that the bikes sell at,
If it was done as a keeper and with no faults the cost and Significant time involved has a value,
As you have decided to sell on A few months later the time and effort and cost against the marketplace price is the reality,
The replacement engine was needed to make the bike function, stating its newness from a buyer perspective may have mixed reactions,
You know the cost of the project to date, as you feel its better than the average at the miles,
Why sell it after adding luggage new paint etc,
putting it up for sale will reveal the current market value, Glws

Thanks for the quick responses. I was basically after the feeling of prospective buyers which you guys are.
I have had a firm offer of £7000 for it, which to me is reasonable 2015 55000 miles price. Despite what some say I feel that the 2017 engine and the much improved 2017 gearbox does add to the value, however not a huge amount. I have told the buyer I would want £7800 for it, as I know what a great bike it is and will be happy to keep it as having to fork out another £8000 for a similar bike is a tall order. So thanks for the responses, even the ‘sub £5000’ ones !

I like the ESA...
Ref TT suspension.
If your existing suspension has done 55,000 it will be worn out.
You still would have the ESA, same buttons, same modes, Entirely compatable, plug and play ,just better quality with the ability to alter the damping to your taste. You can move it the next GS you buy.

If you're not going to like the answers, why ask the question ?

if you want to know its true value,stick it on ebay on a bidding war starting with your lowest price you would be happy with .
and be honest with your description why you changed the engine .
it only takes two to make an auction happen :thumb

Thanks for the quick responses. I was basically after the feeling of prospective buyers which you guys are.
I have had a firm offer of £7000 for it, which to me is reasonable 2015 55000 miles price. Despite what some say I feel that the 2017 engine and the much improved 2017 gearbox does add to the value, however not a huge amount. I have told the buyer I would want £7800 for it, as I know what a great bike it is and will be happy to keep it as having to fork out another £8000 for a similar bike is a tall order. So thanks for the responses, even the ‘sub £5000’ ones !

haha so it was not a question, just to get more money, it was easy if you say so first.

ffs if you have had a firm offer of 7k take it! dont look a gift horse in the mouth,the engine change devalues it weather you like it or not as so many people have told you.later in its life when someone rocks up and trys to get certain bits for the engine and dealer puts chassis number in all sorts of fun and games begin as YOU found out re the clutch problems

I was not after answers just opinions, which I got.
Although surprisingly a lot more negative than I expected.
I know what I want for it and what it is worth to me and if not, will very happily keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom