Indian motorcycles

I tried to get a test ride after I read a report in MSL mag. Rang 4 dealers, all said no test ride but they will order me one. Idiots, no way I’m parting with that kind of money without trying it first.

I tried to get a test ride after I read a report in MSL mag. Rang 4 dealers, all said no test ride but they will order me one. Idiots, no way I’m parting with that kind of money without trying it first.
That's what was told. But I've bought bikes before without a test ride.

Motorcycle Sport & Leisure are/have been doing long term test reports just lately, both on the Challenger and the Pursuit. Apparently they struggled with access to press/demo bikes so not much chance for anyone else.
It's a shame really because imo out of the box, the Challenger is much more accomplished than Harley's Road Kings and Glides. You would think Polaris would want to promote more of it's dealers and have a pool of demo bikes that dealers can share or put stock into dealers on better payment terms to encourage more stock to be carried. :nenau

Obviously I look good on one. :cool: 20230908_111211.jpg20230908_111202.jpg

Only OTT if you’ve never actually ridden one; Arsey and I have and have also owned and ridden HDs by way of comparison. It’s in a different league, but point taken if referring to the looks as opposed to performance and handling, it’s certainly not for everyone.
The looks are certainly of the Marmite persuasion. Personally, I like them and was seriously considering one a year or so ago to the point where I rode tested one twice from Mid West Moto nr. Stourport pre covid. My daughter's upcoming wedding has sadly shelved bike buying ideas for the moment.

The looks are certainly of the Marmite persuasion. Personally, I like them and was seriously considering one a year or so ago to the point where I rode tested one twice from Mid West Moto nr. Stourport pre covid. My daughter's upcoming wedding has sadly shelved bike buying ideas for the moment.
Told you. Pork pies, valauvents and sausage on sticks.

No disrespect to you Doc and thankfully we are all different, but if the choice was mine I'd keep the lovely RT you already have.

Couple of barrels of the local scrumpy and "borrow" the scout's tent? :D
No disrespect to you Doc and thankfully we are all different, but if the choice was mine I'd keep the lovely RT you already have.
Nothing wrong with the RT just time for a change.
Couple of barrels of the local scrumpy and "borrow" the scout's tent? :D
These young uns are never happy.

Looks are subjective but I’d say the Challenger probably handles better than the RT.
I’ve not ridden a very new RT but have owned an older model and I’ve done 3 longs days on a Challenger.
The looks are subjective, but the way the Challenger handles is gobsmacking.

I’d planned on renting a Chieftain but the dealer didn’t have one so offered me the Challenger, saying he was pretty sure I’d prefer it.
So I did 500 miles ish/3 days on the Challenger and when I got back they had a Chieftain sat there so I took that out for an hour.
It was horrid.The motor was utterly gutless compared to the 122 bhp Power Plus motor in the Challenger, the riding position was all wrong and it nearly spat me off at the first corner having been riding the Challenger.
God knows what Indian have done, but the Challenger must have a very low c of g because it tips into bends like a GS.It defies belief based on its looks.

If I didn’t already have my Wing and if we had a dealer on the island I would get one.

Looks are subjective but I’d say the Challenger probably handles better than the RT.
I’ve not ridden a very new RT but have owned an older model and I’ve done 3 longs days on a Challenger.
The looks are subjective, but the way the Challenger handles is gobsmacking.

I’d planned on renting a Chieftain but the dealer didn’t have one so offered me the Challenger, saying he was pretty sure I’d prefer it.
So I did 500 miles ish/3 days on the Challenger and when I got back they had a Chieftain sat there so I took that out for an hour.
It was horrid.The motor was utterly gutless compared to the 122 bhp Power Plus motor in the Challenger, the riding position was all wrong and it nearly spat me off at the first corner having been riding the Challenger.
God knows what Indian have done, but the Challenger must have a very low c of g because it tips into bends like a GS.It defies belief based on its looks.

If I didn’t already have my Wing and if we had a dealer on the island I would get one.
Challenger would have to be good to handle as good as my RT. Personally can't see it but I haven't ridden a challenger.

Good news is Jayne has built her challenger online with a few extras.

Last edited:
Rinehart do an exhaust system for the Challenger (but you probably knew that) I don't know if that includes headers as well or just slip ons.

I was watching a Youtube vid last night :rolleyes: by "Rides with 2 Indians" where he had a stage 2 (pipes and air filter and cams) fitted to his before it left the dealer from new. He then got into discussion with Lloyd'z Motor Works, who make their own cams. He then spent $3600 for their cams and a tune on their dyno and gained a little hp but lost torque numbers so he had less than a stock bike! Not a happy bunny!

The explanation was that he had decatted (iirc) with his exhaust system so little back pressure, causing his torque values to drop. The solution? Buy the Lloydz 2 into 1 system!! People who have done so are reporting 140 ish hp and 130-140 torgues.

All interesting stuff.........or not :nenau

Back
Top Bottom