OS Maps GPS Device

We Make Life A Ride

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Currently use Connected Ride cradle with my mobile for turn by turn directions and generally happy with that. Especially as I can use whizzy wheel to control most things.

However, I'd like another device that can:

A: show me a more geographical map of where I am between point a and point b ( I know whizzy wheel allows me to zoom in/out etc but I want a seperate screen to see the whole view)
B: where I am if I go off-road/greenlane so ideally OS maps in UK and Topo for Europe

I'm big into land rovers so when overlanding on 4 wheels this is easy:

1x Google maps on mobile for turn by turn
1x tablet for whole area mapping and off road/ greenlanes etc

Open to suggestions for motorcycle use. I'd like a comparative system for the GS. Been looking at the Zumo XT2 but just seen a review that says OS mapping not available on that device.

Really just asking for suggestions on the mapping side for off-road/greenlane etc. Happy witbthe turn by turn that Connected offers.

Thanks as always..

How about getting an old 'phone and putting OS Maps on it. As long as it has GPS, and can connect to wifi for downloading, you can remove most of the other apps. I use an old 'phone with OS Maps for my walking. You can also have OS Maps on your home computer for planning routes, and even have another one on your usual 'phone as a back up. Works for me. Rob.

Like KMD, I use a Garmin GpsMap device for walking/MTB but if the screen isn't big enough and you have deep pockets, there is always the Garmin Montana 700. I've not owned but have used one a few times.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/633697

It's not a great pic but this is the borrowed Montana to give you an idea to size

5D8D14D1-337E-486B-85D8-2CC57908DEC7.jpeg

Last edited:
How about getting an old 'phone and putting OS Maps on it. As long as it has GPS, and can connect to wifi for downloading, you can remove most of the other apps. I use an old 'phone with OS Maps for my walking. You can also have OS Maps on your home computer for planning routes, and even have another one on your usual 'phone as a back up. Works for me. Rob.
I've considered this as an option and now thanks to:
You can have OS maps on an XT
Try DMD2 on a tablet.
Wonder wheel integration is coming for it soon.
With DMD2 it looks like a really promising solution.

Shall look into DMD2 a little more.

Interested to hear more about getting OS maps on an XT2 though. Can anyone explain the process? Do I need to buy maps from OS or from Garmin? Install process etc.

Thanks as always.

You can buy them from OS on a card.
There are copies on eBay using OSM.
You can download Friezecarten.
Or you can see if a nice man can get round the Garmin/OS lock and do a copy of the £300 version

People are maybe jumping between Ordnance Survey maps and Open Street maps. It happens on the forum from time to time.

I have these. Its Topo map though, not nearly the level of detail OS mapping provides.
Yes it is Topo but looking now at mine the detail is pretty accuarate and detailed with contour lines ( well a bit ) but the coordinates if you tap a spot and the elevation are spot on accurate

Personally i think its pretty close to online OS stuff or at least plenty good enough for me and as a navigational tool more than adequate

I must say that DMD2 on say a Samsung Active Tab 3 is really growing on me. It look really innovative and flexible. far more so than any dedicated GPS device currently on the market. I'm also tempted to say if I radically change my satnav setup I would only need the one screen.

And if as, PittaNaanRoti says, there is whizzy wheel integration coming then it could be a real game changer for the GS navigation space

Garmin Active Topo is good but not OS level of detail.
I’ve OSM, Friezekarte installed on the Garmin and OS on the card from them.
For actual routing/following a .gpx then Friezekarte is really good. If you want the detail level of OS for specific things then they don’t get close.
OSM and Friezekarte are basically identical other than a skin and how the maps are updated. The base source is the same.
If you want OS detail then either get the subscription on your phone or a friendly guy who can view the base of the OS mapping on the SD card

Finding myself looking more and more at the tablet solution now I've given it some thought. I guess Connected ride just has some limitations and if it is indeed possible to have everything I need on one screen then that does seem like less faff!!

Back
Top Bottom