Zumo 390 - Trip Planner - Help!

Jersey gs Quote (One other observation Garmin Zumos always offers the first waypoint in your list (not the start) when activating a route and not the next waypoint towards the destination from where you are, as you may expect.)
Are you sure this is correct or are you refering to new Zumo's, as i am sure this does not apply to the 660 or 550.

No it didn't, those devices just got on with the route as did previous models. When this first occurred with the introduction of the 300 series it caused no end of confusion with users. It is still doing so it seems. I can see that there might be times when the ability to alter the route might be useful but most of the time for most users we simply want to begin the route we have planned. It is almost as if we have nanny asking if we really want to go there!

Thankfully it looks like software updates have got rid of the even more ridiculous insistence on choosing the next destination again should you have the temerity to have stopped somewhere along the route. The devices now seem to cope better in this situation and carry on with the route without fuss-just like previous generations of device always did. At first I found that by touching the map icon the route carried on without the choose next destination message appearing, now my 390 and my car device just do it without input. I imagine Garmin got a lot of feedback on this issue!

On the subject of time to complete a route I suspect that devices at least from the 660 onwards "learn" how fast a rider deals with certain classes of road. I often found that UK guest's devices using my routes in Austria would come up with optimistic times for a downloaded route. I did actually check with an identical 390 to mine. I rode almost exclusively on twisty mountain roads, my average speed would therefore be low. The other 390 user spent most of his time riding in the UK and had generally higher average speeds. With settings matched my device showed a longer time than his. I have also noted that the exact same route, and I mean exact, loaded onto several devices often show up as different journey times. As I always set the preferences myself before downloading the conclusion I came to was that the device had estimated using different road speeds. I would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this.

John

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my OP. All comments very helpful and, having completed the WNR, I now understand my 390 a lot better.

I just wish there was a way to have some level of control over the types of road it uses to navigate the "fastest" route. Some extremely narrow, steep and twisty country roads in Wales have a 60mph limit so I guess this is the reason the device uses them when calculating an ad-hoc route. Some of the lanes I was on yesterday had an effective limit of 20mph or less so the "fastest" route certainly wasn't the quickest!

I understand that I am asking too much and sat nav really is a wonderful thing.

My mate has a 390, I have a 660, I use mapsource or basecamp to plot routes on the PC. Ive transferred routes to his unit to test out before our euro trip this year. When he selects the route in trip planner it just gives the route summary and he presses GO and thats it, has never asked him to choose a waypoint as described on here. Spend some time with routing software plotting your routes:thumb2

My mate has a 390, I have a 660, I use mapsource or basecamp to plot routes on the PC. Ive transferred routes to his unit to test out before our euro trip this year. When he selects the route in trip planner it just gives the route summary and he presses GO and thats it, has never asked him to choose a waypoint as described on here. Spend some time with routing software plotting your routes:thumb2

Just double checked on my 390, it asks for next destination after pressing go on all the routes I have on it at the moment. As far as I can remember every later generation Garmin I have handled did that too. If your friend has found a way to stop this happening I think there will be a number of people interested in finding out how he did it.

John

No it didn't, those devices just got on with the route as did previous models. When this first occurred with the introduction of the 300 series it caused no end of confusion with users. It is still doing so it seems. I can see that there might be times when the ability to alter the route might be useful but most of the time for most users we simply want to begin the route we have planned. It is almost as if we have nanny asking if we really want to go there!

Thankfully it looks like software updates have got rid of the even more ridiculous insistence on choosing the next destination again should you have the temerity to have stopped somewhere along the route. The devices now seem to cope better in this situation and carry on with the route without fuss-just like previous generations of device always did. At first I found that by touching the map icon the route carried on without the choose next destination message appearing, now my 390 and my car device just do it without input. I imagine Garmin got a lot of feedback on this issue!

On the subject of time to complete a route I suspect that devices at least from the 660 onwards "learn" how fast a rider deals with certain classes of road. I often found that UK guest's devices using my routes in Austria would come up with optimistic times for a downloaded route. I did actually check with an identical 390 to mine. I rode almost exclusively on twisty mountain roads, my average speed would therefore be low. The other 390 user spent most of his time riding in the UK and had generally higher average speeds. With settings matched my device showed a longer time than his. I have also noted that the exact same route, and I mean exact, loaded onto several devices often show up as different journey times. As I always set the preferences myself before downloading the conclusion I came to was that the device had estimated using different road speeds. I would be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this.

John

Sorry John you have lost me with that answer, are you saying that my 660 or 550 always offer the first waypoint or are you saying that they offer the start point, or am i being thick.

Sorry John you have lost me with that answer, are you saying that my 660 or 550 always offer the first waypoint or are you saying that they offer the start point, or am i being thick.

No, I am saying they just start the route without asking for a choice of destination. Assuming you are at the start point of course.

John

From what i have read here it seems the newer devices remove parts of the route once done, does this include the removal of way points you have traveled to or do they keep them stored as favourites or similar.

In the Nav V, all waypoints are saved as Favourites.

The Favourites can be given assorted individual properties of their own. For example, you can create a favourite that has no properties beyond being a specific point on a map with a unique name (if you want to give it one) or give it other properties: For example:

1. You could call it 'Cafe Chimay'

2. You can link it to a specific route. For instance, it would appear in Favourites as 'Cafe Chimay' AND under 'Calais to St Vith'

The latter function is quite handy as you can open it up to find all the favourites associated with just that one trip. This works well in BaseCamp too, as you can create some quite advanced files, including all sorts of interlinked data.... But that's something for another day.

Jersey gs Quote (One other observation Garmin Zumos always offers the first waypoint in your list (not the start) when activating a route and not the next waypoint towards the destination from where you are, as you may expect.)
Are you sure this is correct or are you refering to new Zumo's, as i am sure this does not apply to the 660 or 550.

Hi Leedude03 Yup I am referring to the later Zumo's 350, 390, 590 & I believe Nav V

Just double checked on my 390, it asks for next destination after pressing go on all the routes I have on it at the moment. As far as I can remember every later generation Garmin I have handled did that too. If your friend has found a way to stop this happening I think there will be a number of people interested in finding out how he did it.

John
Now Ive read the full post correctly I retract my earlier post :blast, can you tell me what would happen in the following scenario on a 390 please.
Route planned with mapsource where some of the intended shaping points have automatically become waypoints (im fecked if I know how this happened but it did). So we are riding along and the device is progressing without any prompting sequentially through the waypoints when we decide to stop for lunch (I havent planned any lunch stops we normally just stop when we feel like it), will the device be looking for a destination decision when we resume or just carry on towards next waypoint.

On the subject of time to complete a route I suspect that devices at least from the 660 onwards "learn" how fast a rider deals with certain classes of road. I often found that UK guest's devices using my routes in Austria would come up with optimistic times for a downloaded route. I did actually check with an identical 390 to mine. I rode almost exclusively on twisty mountain roads said:
I'm getting this John, for my upcoming trip all mileages agree with mapsource but the journey times are different once transferred to the device (660) .

Now Ive read the full post correctly I retract my earlier post :blast, can you tell me what would happen in the following scenario on a 390 please.
Route planned with mapsource where some of the intended shaping points have automatically become waypoints (im fecked if I know how this happened but it did). So we are riding along and the device is progressing without any prompting sequentially through the waypoints when we decide to stop for lunch (I havent planned any lunch stops we normally just stop when we feel like it), will the device be looking for a destination decision when we resume or just carry on towards next waypoint.

Unless you physically stop the route (press the red stop button) it will just resume the route from where you are towards the next waypoint

As long as you only turn the device off and don't stop the route (I've seen it done!) it should just carry on with the route. Earlier versions seemed to ask for "next destination" which caused a lot of confusion as people can't always remember where they are in relation to a list. I found just pressing the map icon solved this one. There must have been a change in a software update because my 390 suddenly started doing what I would expect and resuming the route without further input.

As for the issue of via points being changed to waypoints I have had this on a few occasions. Last time this happened I examined the route carefully on Mapsource afterwards and discovered that the one via point that changed to a waypoint had been placed slightly off the road. Maybe there is a clue there-Mapsource assuming that if I had chosen a point that was not on the road in meant that I really wanted to go there and therefore making it a waypoint. I will have to try it on other routes and see what happens.

John

Jeez........

Never had any problems with routing on any device, Quest, Zumo 660 then a Nav5. Have accepted that there are changes between models including some better features and some that were a little quirky. Can't say any things ever gone backwards. When a pre planned route is uploaded to the Nav 5 and it gives options of the first waypoints - I use this of an indication the route will follow the correct direction of travel (originally designed for walkers and then passed to bikers devices as a way of making sure a circular route plays out the correct direction!)

There was another thread that someone asked if you could make the route STICK to the planned route that they had plotted, I told them in that post that the ONLY way to do this was to turn "autorecalculate" off on the device so the route was played out EXACTLY as you transferred it - their answer was - I want my device to recalculate if I go off route for say a cafe stop etc - forgive me for pointing out the obvious but I answered a question about making the route play out EXACTLY as it was transferred.

Some people can't be helped ........

Fact is the software is very intuitive and very good both on device and on Basecamp / Mapsource - there will always be some who just refuse to move forward with the times and there are some who think Garmin should write there software for only them in mind - but as an overall system for walkers, cyclists, bikers, car drivers, trucker, adventurers the world over - I can't think of better.

You just have to stop thinking its "crap" and deal with it.

Rik

Riktus Quote (Fact is the software is very intuitive and very good both on device and on Basecamp / Mapsource - there will always be some who just refuse to move forward with the times and there are some who think Garmin should write there software for only them in mind - but as an overall system for walkers, cyclists, bikers, car drivers, trucker, adventurers the world over - I can't think of better.

You just have to stop thinking its "crap" and deal with it. )

Pretty much spot on with that statement, nothing is perfect, but it is very good.

As for the issue of via points being changed to waypoints I have had this on a few occasions. Last time this happened I examined the route carefully on Mapsource afterwards and discovered that the one via point that changed to a waypoint had been placed slightly off the road. Maybe there is a clue there-Mapsource assuming that if I had chosen a point that was not on the road in meant that I really wanted to go there and therefore making it a waypoint. I will have to try it on other routes and see what happens.

An electronic marker placed off any recognised road most often becomes a waypoint by default, just as it would out in a featureless ocean, in the shifting sands of the desert or in a dripping green jungle.

You can convert them easily in BaseCamp.

Jeez........

Never had any problems with routing on any device, Quest, Zumo 660 then a Nav5. Have accepted that there are changes between models including some better features and some that were a little quirky. Can't say any things ever gone backwards. When a pre planned route is uploaded to the Nav 5 and it gives options of the first waypoints - I use this of an indication the route will follow the correct direction of travel (originally designed for walkers and then passed to bikers devices as a way of making sure a circular route plays out the correct direction!)

There was another thread that someone asked if you could make the route STICK to the planned route that they had plotted, I told them in that post that the ONLY way to do this was to turn "autorecalculate" off on the device so the route was played out EXACTLY as you transferred it - their answer was - I want my device to recalculate if I go off route for say a cafe stop etc - forgive me for pointing out the obvious but I answered a question about making the route play out EXACTLY as it was transferred.

Fact is the software is very intuitive and very good both on device and on Basecamp / Mapsource - there will always be some who just refuse to move forward with the times and there are some who think Garmin should write there software for only them in mind - but as an overall system for walkers, cyclists, bikers, car drivers, trucker, adventurers the world over - I can't think of better.

You just have to stop thinking its "crap" and deal with it.

Rik

It's crap! With an explanation mark, too; all a backwards step. Now, if you'll excuse me some bod wants some routes planned.....

Jeez........

Rik

Sorry to disagree but years of experience doing it otherwise tell me it is you who is wrong. Maybe you cannot plot a working route that does not transfer intact with auto recalculate on but some of us can! There is no need to turn auto recalculate off if the route is properly constructed in the first place and your settings match your expectations. So I plan my cross country bike trip picking known good roads and maybe letting Mapsource decide on unknown stretches. I use via points to ensure the device follows my agenda not it's. I usually set my device for faster time and avoid motorways. I may use other avoidances depending on the area I will be riding in. Now I know some don't like setting preferences but I like the fact I can tell the device what sorts of roads I want to avoid. I don't want it deciding I would be better off riding roads I want to avoid.

The device will take you along your selected roads and on to your destination. If it recalculates the route differently you clearly don't have enough via points in there to tell it what you expect. It will only recalculate if you take a wrong turn (happens to the best of us) and then will try to get you back to the next via point to continue the route. The same applies if you meet an unexpected diversion, I actually find the way the device just sorts it out for me very useful. Do you really want it to stick to your route in those circumstances even if your chosen road has been blocked off? To me it is one of the most useful features, whilst on a route I can indulge in "civil disobedience" by taking that tempting turning knowing that my little helper will sort it all out for me. We don't even get the slightly peeved "Off route- recalculation! any more either.

None of this is to say it won't work your way or that my way is superior just that routes can be made to work exactly as planned with the auto recalculate on and acting as a safety net.

John

John
The fact its recalculating means it's not following your route or you are not following the route unless fuckwit means something different in your language I could be proved that I was right! I bet you used to have the biggest dad in the playground, if you found the playground that is.........

John - chill FFS it's just a forum - no one gives a rats arse what you or I think, your years of experience mean jack shit especially if your still getting things wrong. All I know is you keep saying you offer others help - that is help according to Victor Garmin Meldrew, either that or you are an exceptionally nice man with Garmin Turettes.

Rik

Wonder what wonders this "fishing" trip will land me?

Back
Top Bottom