R1100gs filled tank for the first time - fuel overflowing

ssray

Reaction score
Only the second tank through with me onboard, so I thought i'd fill to the top( not the very top) and see what mpg i'm getting on the next fill.
When I paid and went back there was some spilt fuel under the bike, note to self not so much next time
Pulled off from the pump and more fuel smell, looked down to see it hitting the collector box
Rode home and put it on the centre stand to check the oil, but when I put it on the drive on the side stand quite a flow of fuel was coming out, it took less than 10mins to fill a baked bean type can
It may have only lost half a liter in total but i'd rather it was burnt inside the engine rather than potentally on the outside.

I'm assuming i'm going to have to drain the tank and replace internal hoses etc
Is it worth doing a external fuel filter conversion whilst i'm at it?

Ta Ray(not a happy bunny)

Is it coming out of the overflow pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If it is, start from the top, remove the filler cap and ring, and see whether the two hoses are connected as they should be, and the vent is not blocked.

Raid the garden shed and find a bit of plastic wire from the strimmer and poke it down both pipes, but be gentle with it.

ps - My 1100 always used to piss a bit out if I filled the 'hump' at the top of the tank and left it on the side-stand.

There’s nothing wrong or broken.

Only fill it right to the brim if you are going to do at least 20 miles straight after filling, otherwise you will.... well I guess you’ve found out what happens. It vents through the breather and spits fuel on the floor.

Only fill it right to the brim if you are going to do at least 20 miles straight after filling, otherwise you will.... well I guess you’ve found out what happens. It vents through the breather and spits fuel on the floor.

Yeah mine did that, but never as much as OP described.

It depends on many things, ambient temperatures being one.

Once saw a guy open his filler cap to stop it venting out of the vent pipe after just filling it..... as he turned the key in the cap and opened it, it must has blew half a litre over his face :eek:

Oh and the vent and overflow are two different things.

Ok, thanks
The overflow/vent pipes are rotten so will need replacing
Thinking take it off and replace all the hoses and convert to external fuel filter
Thanks guys Ray

It could be a case of overfilling and a hot day causing the fuel to expand in the tank as BHT has said, I have had that before with an 1150GS

Ok, thanks
The overflow/vent pipes are rotten so will need replacing
Thinking take it off and replace all the hoses and convert to external fuel filter
Thanks guys Ray

Good plan. External fuel filter is ok if you’re travelling thru Africa on dodgy fuel and need to change it every week. Otherwise, IME, it’s a pain in the arse and unnecessary. Other opinions may differ!

Just did 30 miles on the way to work, tiny drip after pulling over after a mile or so and nothing at work.
Note to self moment
Thanks

Good plan. External fuel filter is ok if you’re travelling thru Africa on dodgy fuel and need to change it every week. Otherwise, IME, it’s a pain in the arse and unnecessary. Other opinions may differ!

Entirely agree with you Nin, whilst all very trendy etc

Totally unnecessary here!

In reality you are just adding a weakness into the fuel line i.e. another X cm of fuel pipe and 4 more joints and there is securing it for 24000 miles so it does not vibrate and rub through :rob

Same here. My 850 does exactly the same. Fill up on centre stand and if parking soon after, say at a meet pre rideout, again up on centre stand.
Mikeyboy did tell me it needs the pipes inside the tank replacing, a job that’s just not made its way to the top of the list yet:blast.

it needs the pipes inside the tank replacing, a job that’s just not made its way to the top of the list yet

Believe me it should!!!

2 things:-

• If either the vent or the filler drain pipe perforate through then the fuel will leak out

• If the fuel pressure pips in the tank fracture? the engine will stop and that is the $64,000 question When? and Where? Fast lane of the motorway or somewhere more sedate to wait for Recovery?

P.S. Have you checked / changed the rubber brake hoses if still fitted?? Especially the one from the front master cylinder to the head stock? just had a K1100 fail for a bloke near me :eek:

Really?

My 1100GS did it from new in the right conditions.

I meant replacing tank hoses, Now't else Guvnor :rob

They are getting to the ages where checks should be made on the rubber bits

Brake hoses are getting brittle / cracked / overflexing

Fuel hoses are getting attacked by ethanol in fuel

Preventative maintenance is much cheaper an convenient than a breakdown and sitting waiting / paying for recovery :thumb

It depends on many things, ambient temperatures being one.

Once saw a guy open his filler cap to stop it venting out of the vent pipe after just filling it..... as he turned the key in the cap and opened it, it must has blew half a litre over his face :eek:

Oh and the vent and overflow are two different things.

Done this myself was in Spain 35 degrees just filled up came back to the bike from paying for the fuel noticed there was some fuel coming out the overflow so i stupidly thought id release some pressure by opening the filler.
Fuel pissed out all over the bike I was so lucky the bike didn't go up think the engine and exhausts were cool enough not to ignite the petrol. I was quite shaken, if it had gone up so would I, I stank of fuel all day :(

Ive mentioned on here quite a few times now that Any 1100/1150 still on OE hoses is running a great risk. My 2000W 1150 burst its hoses while doing a brake fluid refresh 2yrs back. I fitted new braded hoses and shortly after did my 850 too.

Oh and mine actually burst down by the calipers!

Back
Top Bottom