A gentle RTW bimble.

AE1EARA

Reaction score
I'm a returning member to this site. I joined a long time ago before heading out on our own big trips.

I've ridden three trips to take my GS around the world: Circumnavigating North America in 2009, Russia and the edge of Europe in 2016 and UK to Japan in 2016. 58,000 miles. 1/4 of the first trip and all of the others have been 2-up with my missus. Taking in general use and shorter trips (mentioned below), the bike is now on 92,000 miles and still going strong!

We've also carried out a number of other trips around Europe and have also carried out further trips in the US on hired or loaned Harleys. I did a blog for a while and people asked me whey I didn't turn it into books. So, I wrote up the US/Canada trip and published it. Have just published my second book about the Russia/Europe trip. The books are as much about going places and meeting people and the amusing incidents that happen in those two situations as they are about motorcycling, but there are plenty of bikey bits too.

If anyone is planning their own trip and needs any input, please feel free to contact me. Having said that, the best advice I can give is: don't listen to anything I say 'cos I'm a quite incompetent drifter. Having said that, I'm a great believer in preventative maintenance and looking after your mule.

I've just re-done my website (see below). It has links to a lot of photos and photo/films. I'm going to gradually build a summary of the equipment we've used, the bike is the first entry on that particular page.

Cheers and safe riding guys and gals,

Andy

www.farhorizons.co.uk

Excellent, well done, will have a look. Always in awe of people who 'just do it' without all the attention social media and so on brings. Will have a look, thanks and welcome back :D

PS Like the brolley - a nod to Ted Simon?

Thanks mate. No, if you're referring to the photo outside the house, the brolly was based more on experience of getting wet :). It was actually the second one on the trip - the first one was only the second item (we know of) that was stolen in all our travels to date. It was nicked on the Estonia/Russia border. The first item was a box of eggs, stolen by a Scottish Gold Wing owner, camping in Switzerland. Pinched to teach us a well-earned lesson.

Having said that, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading Ted's books. I also really enjoyed Dan Walsh's first book.

Well Done you and welcome back ... that all looks very interesting :okay

Back
Top Bottom