Any Electrical Boffins Out There ???

jbj

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking about installing some HID lights to replace the standard bulbs, the kit will be purchased from http://www.hids4u.co.uk/ Some of you have fitted these kits to various models, but im not sure on the 1200gs if it just plugs into the wiring loom or does it need a relay ?? :rolleyes:
Not sure if the canbus system will throw an eppy !!
I would like the installation as clean as possible, and due to the lack of space and my lack of electrical knowledge :D i really would like to avoid fuse boxes, relays etc!
Any one have any comments?

Hi Bustupbiker,
The reason why im doubtfull is that im getting contradicting answers from different people :( My local dealer, who has experiance of the canbus system would expect the system to throw an error warning up! :eek: due to the large amount of voltage ( but reduced wattage) involved, but others, yourself included, apparantly have no problems! :eek:
The company have bent over backwards to help but as they dont do a specific kit for the 1200gs they can only comment on other customers feed back. :confused: :confused:
Any body else wanna throw there peneth in to really b#lls my day :boozer
Im off to the pub!!! :bounce1

Hi - the questions is, will the reduced current (I believe HID lights draw about 35 watts, as opposed to the 55 watts a standard light draws) cause the CANBUS to go into a sulk........

However if you fit a relay then the only current drawn from the headlamp circuit would be the relay "pull in" current which would be a few milliamps ( less than 1 watt.

So fitting a relay would be much more likely to set the CANBUS off into throwing all it's toys out of the cot!!

My opinion FWIW.

I also have a 1200GS, so I shall follow this with interest and would be interested in the results of your testing as I might follow on and also fit a HID headlamp!

Regards

Chris

Your dealer doesn't really understand electricity does he? :)

He is however half right. If anything will cause a problem with fitting HIDs to the 1200, it's the fact that the unit will draw a different amount of current to a normal incandescent bulb. The high voltage used to run the HID lamp itself is irrelevant as it's on a separate circuit.

It's really nothing to do with the CAN bus either - that's just a communication medium used by various control units on the bike to talk to each other. The issue is the headlamp control unit - this "black box" expects to supply about 4.5 amps (55W at 12V) to each headlamp circuit, and if the actual current drawn differs from this figure by more than a certain amount, the control units decides there's a fault and cuts the power.

The question becomes - what is the tolerance allowed in the current? I have heard it said that HID lamps draw about 30W (2.5A at 12V) - if this is the case will it cause the control unit to think there's a fault? I don't know, but one way you could find out would be to find a 30W headlamp bulb (a normal bulb) and see if that works in the headlamp circuit.

There also might be an issue if the HID lamp draws a very large current when it initially starts up. I don't know if they do but I wouldn't be surprised. This might cause the headlamp circuit to be cut for the opposite reason - too much current.

My feeling is that the electronics on the bike will be well protected so you're unlikely to damage anything by trying.

Hi Mouse,
I agree with your train of thought, its the differance in current from the o/e lights that will throw the bike in a strop :confused:
Just a little confused why bustupbikergot a trouble free instalation :eek:
Fancy throwing in your penneth Lyn ?

John.

“Thinking about installing some HID lights to replace the standard bulbs, the kit will be purchased from http://www.hids4u.co.uk/ Some of you have fitted these kits to various models, but im not sure on the 1200gs if it just plugs into the wiring loom or does it need a relay”

Relays are the least of your worries, what about brake failure because of the voltage drop caused by the HID lights, unless you wire them to extinguish when the rear brake light comes on. :D

Whele said:
Relays are the least of your worries, what about brake failure because of the voltage drop caused by the HID lights, unless you wire them to extinguish when the rear brake light comes on. :D

Pay attention 007 ... if HID lights draw less current they'll cause less voltage drop.

Mouse said:
The question becomes - what is the tolerance allowed in the current? I have heard it said that HID lamps draw about 30W (2.5A at 12V) - if this is the case will it cause the control unit to think there's a fault? I don't know, but one way you could find out would be to find a 30W headlamp bulb (a normal bulb) and see if that works in the headlamp circuit.

Spot on. Also worth noting that if you have difficulty getting 12v 30w H7 lamps to play with (although I'd have thought it fairly easy), if you get 24v 70w lamps they'll do the job. :thumb

Got a kit on order from hids4u, should be ariving in the next few days. Ill photograph the installation and warn of any pitfalls! :bounce1

Back
Top Bottom