Entering America

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone on here been to court and got a conviction ,don’t need to know what for ,just want to know if they had any problem entering America .

Pal of mine got sent home for an undeclared conviction, and that was many years ago. Dont suppose it has become more relaxed !!

as I understand it one has to have an ESTA - which is a standard pre travel authorisation application filled in ,, and accepted . This is for normal “ clean skins “ . If you have had “ problems “ in your past I belI’ve one can apply for a visa - - on a truthful statement of fact - - , which will be considered .
I would never rock up at a USA border with stuff undeclared !

I do know of a couple of people who have had minor convictions who have got into the US. They just didn't declare it on their ESTA Visa Waiver applications and got through immigration without an issue.

I also know one guy who declared a minor conviction from when he was in his late teens, and was refused a US ESTA visa waiver. His way around it was to apply for the equivalent Canadian Visa Waiver, didn't declare any criminal record, was granted the visa waiver and flew into Canada no problem. He then crossed a road border into the USA without an issue.

I suspect a lot of people don't declare a criminal record and take a chance on getting in and most of them do.

On the B side of that, a chap I know rocked up to the Canadian border on his bike some years ago and when he was asked if he had a criminal record, he made a gag about a drink driving ban when he was young and he was refused entry. Turns out that a DUI in Canada is classed as a criminal felony and on the banned list.

I'm not sure how much information on UK citizens is available to a US immigration officer when they swipe your passport so I guess it's up to you whether you take the chance or not.

I ask because I went to court 43 years ago for behaviour liable to cause a breach of the peace and reciev a £25 fine no suspension or anything so was wondering if this might cause me a problem .
I would hate to pay out thousands on a bile tour only to be refused entry and lose the. Lot .

I do know of a couple of people who have had minor convictions who have got into the US. They just didn't declare it on their ESTA Visa Waiver applications and got through immigration without an issue.

I also know one guy who declared a minor conviction from when he was in his late teens, and was refused a US ESTA visa waiver. His way around it was to apply for the equivalent Canadian Visa Waiver, didn't declare any criminal record, was granted the visa waiver and flew into Canada no problem. He then crossed a road border into the USA without an issue.

I suspect a lot of people don't declare a criminal record and take a chance on getting in and most of them do.

On the B side of that, a chap I know rocked up to the Canadian border on his bike some years ago and when he was asked if he had a criminal record, he made a gag about a drink driving ban when he was young and he was refused entry. Turns out that a DUI in Canada is classed as a criminal felony and on the banned list.

I'm not sure how much information is available to a US immigration officer when they swipe your passport so I guess it's up to you whether you take the chance or not.

I ask because I went to court 43 years ago for behaviour liable to cause a breach of the peace and reciev a £25 fine no suspension or anything so was wondering if this might cause me a problem .
I would hate to pay out thousands on a bile tour only to be refused entry and lose the. Lot .

Hands up here, I had a minor offence when I was a stupid 17 year old. One of my mates broke into a cigarette machine unbeknown to us and gave us all a couple of packs of knicked Number 6 fags. He was spotted doing it and soon had his collar felt and dobbed everyone in so about 6 of us had to go to court and were charged with receiving stolen goods. I think I was fined £10 or something like that.

I actually went to the USA 3 years later when I was 20, never admitted I had this criminal record and didn't have an issue. I was told way back then by a family member who was a magistrate that the US authorities didn't have any access to records so it was unlikely that they would know.

I've since been through US immigration about 30 times with no problem but of course always put down no criminal record.

Don't quote me but I'm sure there is time limit on the time an offence, especially a minor one, stays on your record.

Many tears ago I used to coach junior rugby and been through a couple of CRB checks. I fessed up about my stupidity as a 17 year old as I thought it may show up and it didn't appear anywhere.

I suspect you'll be fine.

OP, I am pretty sure that you will not have a criminal record. If put before the court for a breach of the peace, you will have been bound over by the magistrates. (However.....your date at court may pre-date this so you may be best putting in a request for a CRO check...at least you will then know definitively https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...where-to-apply-for-your-criminal-record-check )

Sanctions

Since breach of the peace is not a criminal offence, it is not punishable either by a fine or imprisonment and proceedings for breach of the peace do not give rise to a conviction. Magistrates, however, can bind someone over to keep the peace. This means the offender has to agree to keep the peace for a set amount of time. Any breach of the bind-over can result in a financial penalty or even jail. A failure to agree to keep the peace may of itself lead to a person being committed to custody under the Magistrates Court Act 1980.

Don't know about court issues, just don't have any middle east or African countries on your passport.
My son had two passports just because of this, he had Iraq, Iran, Syria and Libya so would have made it quite difficult to enter US (land of the free)

Having spent time with the US immigration service in the past due to visa irregularities I'd recommend that you do it right.
The question they ask is quantified by the word "serious", your conviction probably doesn't meet that criteria. ABH doesn't for example but you need to check.
ETSA criminal record
You also do a DBS check if you want a clear conscience.
DBS check

There must be some way of checking if there is a record. Were you a juvenile at the time? JJH

If a DBS check is done, can you not provide that as proof too?

I don't have a criminal record and haven't ever been to the US so cant help.... maybe one day :)

Drunken driving is taken very seriously in the USA and Canada. They reckon they have enough of their own citizens doing it. Another thing which hasn’t been mentioned here is if you have ever been committed to prison it can be a barrier to entry to the USA. Bear in mind means having your details entered in the committal book or computer at the committal point of any prison or jail. Sometimes someone might get turned around at the main gate having their details taken and usually the warrant read and executed at the main gate. Then released on licence. I’ve seen it happen many times during my time as a prison officer. Something to do with overcrowding. If this ever happened to you it means that you have actually been in jail. And the record will reflect that. JJH

Having spent time with the US immigration service in the past due to visa irregularities I'd recommend that you do it right.
The question they ask is quantified by the word "serious", your conviction probably doesn't meet that criteria. ABH doesn't for example but you need to check.
ETSA criminal record
You also do a DBS check if you want a clear conscience.
DBS check
I’ve seen the immigration service in action crossing from Canada to the USA. Don’t take any chances because you will go into custody. JJH

Just change your name to Harry Windsor - USA dont seem keen on booting him out for lying on his Visa App

I cant remember but something about the rehabilitation of offenders act and convictions only need to be declared for a certain length of time before they are expunged from records

Depending on the offence of course

I cant remember but something about the rehabilitation of offenders act and convictions only need to be declared for a certain length of time before they are expunged from records

Depending on the offence of course
Doesn't apply in the USoA and still shows on an enhanced DBS check.

Back in 2003 I was in the travel agents when some bloke was trying to book a seat on one of Concorde's last ever transatlantic flights. He was having a few snags with the paperwork regarding visas as he'd been nicked for affray 25 years previous. The lass behind the counter said he'll have to make a trip to the American Embassy to sort out his visa and advised him he do it before he booked his ticket.

I was in the same boat with minor convictions in my teens. I foolishly declared that I had some and was invited to the US embassy for an interview. This didn't go particularly well - I was initially refused and referred to the Department of Homeland Security (or whatever it's called) for more checks to be carried out. This involved me allowing the US authorities access to my criminal record, for them to verify what I told them was essentially the truth - can you remember exact dates forty odd years ago!

Anyhow, four months or so later they granted me a visa, regrettably too late to take the holiday, costing us around many £1,000's.

The real pisser is that there's no way of the US authorities of finding out, without you giving them access to your criminal records. If I had known then what I do today, I'd never confess.

Even if your convictions are considered 'spent', they are still there. One of the records was for 2 counts of theft and burglary at Aldershot Juvenile Court, for receiving around £3.00's worth of stolen items. I was 13 at the time.

Good luck.

I was in the same boat with minor convictions in my teens. I foolishly declared that I had some and was invited to the US embassy for an interview. This didn't go particularly well - I was initially refused and referred to the Department of Homeland Security (or whatever it's called) for more checks to be carried out. This involved me allowing the US authorities access to my criminal record, for them to verify what I told them was essentially the truth - can you remember exact dates forty odd years ago!

Anyhow, four months or so later they granted me a visa, regrettably too late to take the holiday, costing us around many £1,000's.

The real pisser is that there's no way of the US authorities of finding out, without you giving them access to your criminal records. If I had known then what I do today, I'd never confess.

Even if your convictions are considered 'spent', they are still there. One of the records was for 2 counts of theft and burglary at Aldershot Juvenile Court, for receiving around £3.00's worth of stolen items. I was 13 at the time.

Good luck.
That’s scary. In Ireland at that time or maybe a bit before you could have ended up in an industrial school run by religious brothers. Just google Artane Industrial school. JJH

Back
Top Bottom