Exhaust polishing might be of use

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I’m in the middle of say a spring clean on my GS. Part of this the headers were looking poorly after nearly 13yrs on British roads.

So watched a number of videos on this and opted for a cheap polishing kit and some pieces for the air die grinder.

So if you’re interested then I used one of these easy strip attachments which chews through the rust on the pipes.

Like the ones here https://amzn.eu/d/eFGfUPL

Then I simply did some polishing and it’s come up pretty well.

A before and after pic

Attachments

• IMG_7112.jpeg
    IMG_7112.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_7163.jpeg
    IMG_7163.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 192
There is a paste called the Pink Stuff

It is a really good cleaner / Polish finish and leaves a waterproof skin

Its made from Veggie oil and is really good value at about £1.00 to £2.00 a tub

Shit. I've been looking at mine thinking I need to get onto them (now the centre stand is like new, showing everything else up). But I think mine look like yours after the clean up . I need to lower my standards!

Joking aside, thanks for the link. I'm expecting just to get elbow grease onto them and some Autosol. But some mechanisation might not be a bad idea!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Shit. I've been looking at mine thinking I need to get onto them (now the centre stand is like new, showing everything else up). But I think mine look like yours after the clean up . I need to lower my standards!

Joking aside, thanks for the link. I'm expecting just to get elbow grease onto them and some Autosol. But some mechanisation might not be a bad idea!

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
Yes, mine were well needing a clean up given the state of them to start with. I’ve also seen some pastes online but the better half has some of the pink stuff mentioned so might try that once they are back on the bike.

So I’m in the middle of say a spring clean on my GS. Part of this the headers were looking poorly after nearly 13yrs on British roads.

So watched a number of videos on this and opted for a cheap polishing kit and some pieces for the air die grinder.

So if you’re interested then I used one of these easy strip attachments which chews through the rust on the pipes.

Like the ones here https://amzn.eu/d/eFGfUPL

Then I simply did some polishing and it’s come up pretty well.

A before and after pic
Just be careful how much you take off. You could end up with a very different exhaust note!

Harpic Power Plus now supercedes Harpic Blue as THE best for cleaning rusty, shitted up headers. Apply it with a paint brush then give it 10/15 minutes. Rub down with fine wire wool then finally a bit of Solvol. 👍

images (3).jpeg

For those of us who lack the polishing patience.... I used the services of this guy in a previous post...

Back
Top Bottom