GPX - Criss-Crossing Caminos - Spain & Portugal

G&T

“OK sweet heart... just one last ride”
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
(Ride and written in October - published December ‘23)
Dorothy’s yellow brick road

Compared to the tundras or the prairies this may not be as far flung but hey, every trip has its little adventures so grab a coffee and buckle up for 3 weeks of solo riding on the Iberian Peninsula. Hell even that sounds limp - let’s say the Iberian MASSIF.

Here’s the plan…and what a plan, coast, country and city. Basecamp and I have bonded into the best of buddies, plotting great roads and meticulously building biking nirvana. Or so I thought!

Fast forward to a few hours before leaving and just at the point of downloading routes to the SatNav, a Garmin message:

“Would you like to update to the latest Garmin maps?”

What could possibly go wrong? Everything! The copied routes on my SatNav might as well be in ‘Bananistan’ as they don’t resemble anything I’ve created. It’s now 11pm, the night before the ferry and this fiasco starts.

Why did I say ‘Yes?’ Why oh why oh why!

“Tranquillo” I say to myself, be calm. This is to become the mantra of the trip.

I figured two things. The map on the SatNav is no longer matching the map on the computer and is recalculating the route into Dorothy’s yellow brick road. The answer: ‘Don’t make the route match the new map,’ or something like that.

It’s now 1.30am and so much for a nice long sleep before setting off on the 5 hour run to Plymouth. Now for the Russian roulette bit. Downloading the routes and gazillion way points takes forever. Will it have worked for when I get up?

30E71B3A-594B-409A-9174-CAF00346C153.jpeg
F5F948B9-0C51-40B8-AAF6-E0BD2AD11F68.jpeg

======

I have edited the title, to include GPX

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you able to upload the GPX of this route? Uncannily similar to my plans for next year!

Are you able to upload the GPX of this route? Uncannily similar to my plans for next year!
I’d certainly be interested in the gpx file as it looks a great route which I’d be interested in doing. (y)

Reactions: G&T
Are you trying to load the route shown in post #1, as one single route into your GPX device?

Not sure who your reply is aimed at Richard! If it can be posted here as a GPX I’d like a copy. I can’t access the stuff you put in Dropbox.

All shall be revealed...watch out for the posts + I’m sure I’ll be able to post a GPX up 👍

Thunderbird day

It’s the day. Have I got everything? Tools - check, new boots - check. Wait, really!

Now, who the hell buys untested new stuff before a trip – especially boots? Stupid ol’me – that’s who. I have an ugly boxer cylinder scar on my shin and thought I really should.

The moment has arrived, a thunder bird moment, to wheel D’WFR (reg plate of my GS) out of the garage. We’ve had a little chat, a bit like the scene from the film ‘Days of Thunder,’ explaining that you need to look after me. She didn’t say much.

576D7DAC-D0C3-4A72-B4EA-D1CC44DA6ECE.jpeg
Click here >> Harry talking to the car

Seriously, who doesn’t have that conversation? You know you do - secretly.

I must admit to have been weather watching long range for a while to see when rubbish is coming in from the Atlantic. There it is... my cue to book a ticket, last minute, for the fair weather playground of Spain & Portugal.

Let’s go.

944BB58A-15D4-4DC4-9851-6A8C7978B05E.jpeg

‘I can’t get no sleep’

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow ‘UKGSER’ my slightly discounted trip on Brittany Ferries is here.

Not too early, not too late, the bowels of the Pont Aven beckons.

What a feeling it is to ride down the ramp into the warm underbelly of your host for the night. Of course there is the sharp wake-up call to mind the cables, metal pucks and tie down cushions. An assault course in other words!

Now, the luxury minded of you will of course have booked the Commodore class cabin, with your private sofa and shower. Not me, oh no, I’m solo this time so I’ve taken the budget priced ‘Lounge Chair’ for €7 along with a few other hardy travellers.

1081CEF6-1524-45B6-BB5B-045BA78110D8.jpeg

There is something special about boats and its passengers compared with air travel. Maybe it’s the time to talk, to share expectations, to roam around.

Well, I can tell you a room full of people in the lounge learned something about each other in the night. I have spent countless hours on plane chairs that recline and support and that was my novice expectation here. Not this time! I couldn’t find a comfy position no matter how hard I tried. The Karma Sutra is nothing compared with the leg positions I entertained to try and sleep. Observing the awkward movements of my fellow room-mates, they felt the same way.

But worse, way worse was the young lady in seat row 1c. Could she snore! All night bellowed the lungs of a hippo. Even her boyfriend got up and moved. So what with the seat and the snoring it was quite the crossing.

Bedroom beams 3 My Head 0

6F941046-DB59-4C6C-8664-BC9D0914CAC6.jpeg

3pm and off the boat like a directed Mad Max scene. I watch all of the tour groups park up gathering their flock, as I roll by effortlessly to border control.

A quick hop to Santillana del Mar for D’WFR and me to stretch out – thank goodness. I’m in the cosy attic room of the Posada Araceli and all is well and good but after three beam smacks to the head the novelty soon wears off. Santillana is one of those beautiful little medieval villages with cobblestones everywhere. A romantic restaurant reminds me I forgot something – Mrs G&T. More on her critical involvement later.

46569956-CAD8-42EC-9D50-F5A1FBA044F0.jpeg
66E15C00-3549-41A3-90D4-646C4782A72D.jpeg
FD00F021-D4B4-422E-9D78-E9287BB1DCA3.jpeg
70554CF7-FCE5-458E-9848-2B104FD4A4BD.jpeg

Nice, some friends of mine could have been on that ferry - I don't think you'd have described them as boyfriend and girlfriend at their age tho ' :)
Looking forward to this - good luck !

Magellan Motorcycle tours seem popular on the ferry.

0612ED13-FB99-48ED-B1AE-A18A705329DB.jpeg

Bedroom beams 3 My Head 0

View attachment 294896

3pm and off the boat like a directed Mad Max scene. I watch all of the tour groups park up on the right gathering their flocks, as I roll by to border control. And of course, I’m the one who drops his passport. There’s always one isn’t there!

A quick hop to Santillana del Mar for D’WFR and me to stretch out – thank goodness. I’m in the cosy attic room of the Posada Araceli and all is well and good but after the third smack of the head on a beam – the novelty soon wears off. Santillana is one of those beautiful little medieval villages with cobblestones everywhere. Ankle skinners in new trainers mind. A romantic restaurant reminds me I forgot something – Mrs G&T. More on her critical involvement later.

View attachment 294898
View attachment 294899
View attachment 294900
View attachment 294901
safe trip, Santillana, its neither saintly nor at the sea, hope you have look into the altamira caves.
have a look around Ribadesella, sideria Carroceu, salut.

Reactions: G&T
safe trip, Santillana, its neither saintly nor at the sea, hope you have look into the altamira caves.
have a look around Ribadesella, sideria Carroceu, salut.
Thanks for the tips. Oviedo bound. (y)

Back
Top Bottom