Itchy Boots and the new Himalayan

Indian chap covering the specs old V new, impressive improvements to what was already a good (if low powered) do anything bike..... a big jump I would say, well done RE👍

Hmmm ... It gets better! Tubeless tyres/wheels on Euro models and the seat / rear seat arrangement looks a lot more user friendly for us taller types.

:thumb2

Indian chap covering the specs old V new, impressive improvements to what was already a good (if low powered) do anything bike..... a big jump I would say, well done RE👍

Great review thanks for posting . RE really look to have positioned this bike well, with riding modes , ride by wire , integrated sat nav and as Pete says tubless. They have taken an already good bike bike and made it better.

There was chatter on tinternet earlier this year RE would run the 411 alongside the new bike for some time. This new bike is such a game changer I cant see that happening.

Hmmm ... It gets better! Tubeless tyres/wheels on Euro models and the seat / rear seat arrangement looks a lot more user friendly for us taller types.

:thumb2
I like that “ bar and elastic band” seat lowering , simple yet effective, no hinges or levers / screws / tools needed

Great review thanks for posting . RE really look to have positioned this bike well, with riding modes , ride by wire , integrated sat nav and as Pete says tubless. They have taken an already good bike bike and made it better.

There was chatter on tinternet earlier this year RE would run the 411 alongside the new bike for some time. This new bike is such a game changer I cant see that happening.
I don't know ... they may run the new bike in more developed markets with dealer infrastructure, diagnostics etc. but keep the older model for other markets. Yeah, I know parts of India are very much "first world" but then you go a few miles in the countryside... The beauty of the 411 is the ability to fix it and maintain it without all the diagnostics etc. I do hope the new one has some of the characteristics of the old engine. 90% of torque being available lower down the revs is a good sign for that. :thumb2

Looks great

f9774b075b1a6240ad4a55782bbfa5f3.jpg

Another "right looking" on/off road bike from RE. Still has a relatively low seat height too, bonus.

My Himmy is 5 years old now and, it hasn't fell to pieces still good to go and, i still love the thing.

I judge the new bike to be a step nearer to my Himmy and GS replacement machine, that said, the GS is a megga bike and i would
struggle to let it go as I'm riding it more now my lad has passed his test and has a bike (600 Honda) but, a test ride may be booked in due course.

Dealer seems to think it will be closer to £6,500 which whilst great value is a jump from the current bikes price. I hope it will come in a smidge under £6K.

A mate of mine was on that ride to the Himalayas, he reckoned the engine was really good. If this turns out to be anything like a G650X we'd be in the market for two, it's a tall order though as the G650X's hit the sweet spot. Price wise, it will probably be about the same as what a G650X was in the mid '00's. Weight wise it will probably be about what a 650 GS was in the early '00's
Anybody want to buy our aging fleet of 650 BMW's :)

Very interesting details from the guy who led the engine design team. An awful lot of very well considered effort has gone into the new bike. When can I get a test ride????? :D

He gives details about the tappet / cam servicing schedule near the end. It should somewhat reassure those worried about RE going too hi-tech?

And another vid. More evidence of a really well thought through design ...

Dealer seems to think it will be closer to £6,500 which whilst great value is a jump from the current bikes price. I hope it will come in a smidge under £6K.
I think its success is going to be highly dependent upon its price versus the new Triumph 400.

They really do compete head to head and I think the Himmy needs to be a bit cheaper than the Triumph. We will see.

The biggest decision for new RE purchasers, of course, is whether you will refer to it as your HimaLAYan, or your Himaaaaalayan?

Reactions: Kav
I think its success is going to be highly dependent upon its price versus the new Triumph 400.

They really do compete head to head and I think the Himmy needs to be a bit cheaper than the Triumph. We will see.
I'm not so sure that they compete head to head unless there's a more dirt road orientated Triumph that I've not seen.

We should know at the end of this week. My old Himmie gets collected today. Normally, I'd let a new bike settle into the market and wait a bit. Still, after a test ride ... who knows?

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that they compete head to head unless there's a more dirt road orientated Triumph that I've not seen.
If the owner wants to go on a proper adv expedition, yes the Himmy is a different beast. But for the average Joe who wants a small capacity single cylinder adv styled bike with British heritage... I think there's quite an overlap there.

QSYWML5XHNHXVEOSKTCJ5ARP6I.jpg

Back
Top Bottom