NAV 5 - Notofied as being off route - Is this normal?

peter56

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just returned from a tour of Spain / France. My NAV V randomly said (off route ). which I was not the purple line was on the correct road.
And on the way to Rotterdam ferry ,it said ( navigate off road ). Don't even know what that means. I do have the latest software updates. The route was created on basecamp. Anyone have any similar problems and did you workout what went wrong

=====

I have moved your post.

I have amended the opening post’s title

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Can we safely assume that you have the full set of detailed maps installed and active?

2. GPS devices can sometimes lose their position, even if the cursor appears on the magenta line. A place it commonly happens is large motorway slip roads but it’s not unknown elsewhere. It’s why I turn auto-recalculate turned off, or have it set to prompted. I‘ll decide when I am off route, not the machine.

3. Navigate off-road, is simply the device saying “I am not sure where you are. Get (navigate) yourself back into the magenta line, as I can’t find a road or way to do it for you”

Last edited:
Chances are, you have chosen a saved track, rather than a saved trip. When off track message comes up, do you see a dashed purple line, pointing into a general location of your destination?

1. Can we safely assume that you have the full set of detailed maps installed and active?

2. GPS devices can sometimes lose their position, even if the cursor appears on the magenta line. A place it commonly happens is large motorway slip roads but it’s not unknown elsewhere. It’s why I turn auto-recalculate turned off, or have it set to prompted. I‘ll decide when I am off route, not the machine.

3. Navigate off-road, is simply the device saying “I am not sure where you are. Get (navigate) yourself back into the magenta line, as I can’t find a road or way to do it for you”
Yes losing its position sound about right. As you said the magenta line did stay on the correct road.

Chances are, you have chosen a saved track, rather than a saved trip. When off track message comes up, do you see a dashed purple line, pointing into a general location of your destination?
No dashed purple line. Now I look back its probably losing position. On a busy road into Rotterdam a bit nerve racking at the time. The signages didn't help. Most seemed to struggle lots of lane changing going on even though it was very congested.

Yes losing its position sound about right. As you said the magenta line did stay on the correct road….. Now I look back it’s probably losing position. On a busy road into Rotterdam a bit nerve racking at the time.…..

Unless there is a recalculation, the magenta line will not move at all. It is fixed. The positional will move, of course.

The Rotterdam ‘off route’ sounds pretty typical; lots of roads, where (if the gos accuracy falls away to say, 15 metres) the positional cursor could well be ’off the route’ but you (on the bike) will still be firmly on the correct road.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom