Project Christine. (GS1000s)

(y) On the basis a pattern 4 into 2 can cost around £3k I’m going with a nice 4 into 1. Delkavic do one that’s similar to the old Alpha pipes of the 80s for about £450
I had the alpha 41 on mine; codnor light fabrications . (y)

I’m working on about 2k but that’s only cos I’m doing most of the work myself and using equipment mates have got. Things like painting is only costing the price of the paint. Mates vapour blasting machine will be my full time job for a couple of weeks and I’ll be doing some of his work for him. Hopefully the engine won’t require anything more than gaskets and seals. So should all come in on budget.
I’m lucky I found one that under the dirt was a very solid machine.
Sounds good. 👍

Today I’ve been trying to redo the loom behind the clocks. The original Suzuki effort oops like an explosion in a spaghetti factory. I’ve put new rubber boots on all the bulb holders and made a new neater loom for the backlight bulbs. Should look aload better than the original.

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpeg
    IMG_4346.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4351.jpeg
    IMG_4351.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4355.jpeg
    IMG_4355.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4404.jpeg
    IMG_4404.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4403.jpeg
    IMG_4403.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 70
Got to love an ice cream van.
Would love to restore one or even a Kawasaki Z1R
Good luck with it !

Finding any 70s jap bike to restore is getting harder and harder. Plus getting a reso job is getting quite expensive. A guy in wales wants close to £3k for a 70% complete S but the missing bits make it a very expensive restoration. I do know of a very nice z1000 Lawson that a runner and usable but could do with a light resto for around £4k in Telford.

Bit of experimenting today. The original finish on the clock supports looked like a gold passivate finish. Over the years it went pretty manky so I thought I’d paint it in as close to original finish asi could find. Abit of a chat with our local paint guys and this is how its come out. Did something similar with the switchgear trying to get the right satin black finish. Pretty happy with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_4411.jpeg
    IMG_4411.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4412.jpeg
    IMG_4412.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 62
Finding any 70s jap bike to restore is getting harder and harder. Plus getting a reso job is getting quite expensive. A guy in wales wants close to £3k for a 70% complete S but the missing bits make it a very expensive restoration. I do know of a very nice z1000 Lawson that a runner and usable but could do with a light resto for around £4k in Telford.
These bikes from the 70s are always expensive to restore, but stick with it. Try to get hold of a parts book as lots of parts were used universally and some are still available from the bandit etc. A good parts list and part numbers is invaluable. There are some useful US forums but you need to translate what our American friends are saying and ignore much of the excitement. Some sites can help with download original manuals and part lists plus wiring diagrams. The exhaust was always going to be expensive the I put together for my bike was made up from NOS 750/1000gs plus pattern silencers it cost the thick end of £700.

Good luck remember your at the entrance to a tunnel and you can't see the other end, yet.

Barny

Great job you did on the 850

I owned a red and white one in 1980. I somehow managed to crack the crescent shaped glass serving the clock, oil and fuel gauges. A replacement cost me £19.00 which I thought was extortionate at the time, representing a significant part of my weekly wage. I reckon, factoring in 46 years of inflation, that to buy the glass today, as you have, should cost about £190.00.
Am I close?
Alan R

I owned a red and white one in 1980. I somehow managed to crack the crescent shaped glass serving the clock, oil and fuel gauges. A replacement cost me £19.00 which I thought was extortionate at the time, representing a significant part of my weekly wage. I reckon, factoring in 46 years of inflation, that to buy the glass today, as you have, should cost about £190.00.
Am I close?
Alan R
No mate a guy on the GS site does a repro with seals for £40

These bikes from the 70s are always expensive to restore, but stick with it. Try to get hold of a parts book as lots of parts were used universally and some are still available from the bandit etc. A good parts list and part numbers is invaluable. There are some useful US forums but you need to translate what our American friends are saying and ignore much of the excitement. Some sites can help with download original manuals and part lists plus wiring diagrams. The exhaust was always going to be expensive the I put together for my bike was made up from NOS 750/1000gs plus pattern silencers it cost the thick end of £700.

Good luck remember your at the entrance to a tunnel and you can't see the other end, yet.
I’m lucky the bikes 99.9% complete and bar the exhaust everything is pretty solid and reusable. There’s some excellent advice and help from the GS guys and they know where to find pretty much everything. Some parts like the fuel sender in the tank are unobtainable but a mod on a Suzuki jeep one solves the problem. The only other bit I’m struggling to find is the little rubber seal that goes around the clocks and finishes the joint between the clocks and the fairing.

Well this weeks been spent mostly getting parts ready for stripping. Getting bearings out of old wheels has been a challenge and today I made the mistake of lifting the whole engine into the back of my disco. I do need to remind myself sometimes at 55 I’m abit old for these shenanigans. I think for the next few days my chosen cologne will be deep heat with a hint af tiger balm.lol.
Next week will see the start of the motor strip. Should be interesting.

Well this weeks been spent mostly getting parts ready for stripping. Getting bearings out of old wheels has been a challenge and today I made the mistake of lifting the whole engine into the back of my disco. I do need to remind myself sometimes at 55 I’m abit old for these shenanigans. I think for the next few days my chosen cologne will be deep heat with a hint af tiger balm.lol.
Next week will see the start of the motor strip. Should be interesting.
Wait till you’re my age mate!

So that’s all the bits been sent off for striping before they go off for paint. Engines been delivered to my engine builder par excellence Tim. He noticed the old girls had some pretty special fettling in her dim and distant past. I’m now kinda intrigued to see what’s been done inside. As the advert says” these are no ordinary ports these are M&S ports”

Attachments

• IMG_4428.jpeg
    IMG_4428.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4430.jpeg
    IMG_4430.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom